1899 Bar & Grill
307 W. DuPont Ave
Flagstaff, AZ 86011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1899 Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.1899barandgrill.com/
- Phone: 9285231899
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music Sunday and Thursday evenings. Wine and Bar tastings monthly. Special events on the patio.
A word from 1899 Bar & Grill
The 1899 Bar & Grill fuses a turn-of-the-century American bistro with a contemporary steakhouse flair, featuring many foods native to the Southwest. The restaurant features a complete wine list with several regional beers on tap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
1899 Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Flagstaff ›
1899 Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (13)romantic (12)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service were very good. My complaint is that initially the recorded music was just a bit too loud for the fine dining experience. That was acceptable compared to the live guitarist who started about mid-way through our meal. You could not understand what he was saying when he introduced a song and, at least in my opinion, the volume was not the background music it should have been. Instead he was the show rather than the food and conversation at the table. Not what we expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine, Steak, Scallops, DesertOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014The service staff and the chefs do a great job with this place. The food is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice when at NAUCraigDined on 8/22/2014I highly recommend 1899 Grill for a special dinner for any parent who is in town to visit their children attending NAU. The location was perfect, the restaurant was beautiful and everything we ordered for dinner was delicious. I will be back for Parent's Weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evemomgFlagstaffFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Even though the restaurant was quite busy with lots of parties waiting, our group of 6 was seated promptly to our reserved table. The service was attentive but not overbearing. The food arrived in a timely manner and was delicious...especially the hanger steak (cooked to perfection) and the steelhead trout.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was okay but not worth the price. The coffee was undrinkable.
- Fantastic Anniversary SpotHappyEddyDiners2Dined on 8/13/2014Compared to other restaurants we have dined at lately this place is on the spot with EVERYTHING; friendliness, service, recommendations on food items, and knowledge of the menu. As it was our anniversary they placed flowers on our table and offered us a free dessert. The food was very good, our steaks were delicious. Our server, Sidney, was very attentive and the bartender, Alexx, was great as well. We can't wait to take friends in for the happy hour.Special Features:
- nice restaurantjando1Dined on 8/9/2014There were 4 of us & we all enjoyed our food (especially dessert!). We do wish that they would put the lamb chops back on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnernjoyfinediningDined on 8/8/2014Had dinner here on the evening of our anniversary, it took awhile for them to come take our drink order but after that the service was terrific! Overall it was a relaxing evening with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014There are not many "fine dining" restaurants in Flagstaff, so it was good to find this place. The food and service were excellent, and definitely a welcome change from the bar food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couples Night OutAngelDined on 7/25/20141899 Bar & Grill is a restaurant we bring our out-of-town guests to because of the menu and the service! It's an excellent place to dine and have a conversation as it's not loud like many places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluemoonVIPDined on 7/12/2014Overall experience was okay. I did have to return my side dishes as not eatable. Server promptly removed item from bill. Being a wine collector I was surprised not to see at least one mid to high end wine on the list of a red and whiteSpecial Features:
- 1899 was great!VykisecretDined on 7/7/2014I had a huge meeting planned there for some clients but unfortunately most could not make it last minute. So it was just me and guest but the food was great and our waitress was wonderful. I will definitely do more client dinners here when I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Limited menu for dinner. Steaks were tough and overpriced for what we got. Servers were uninformed. I ordered a beer and was brought the wrong one. One bright spot was the cup on mushroom soup. Of the four dinning in our group, nobody had a good experience.
- Good food, not so great serviceFlagDinerDined on 7/5/2014The food was tasty and our group enjoyed it. The service wasn't up to par. There was confusion starting from the time we were seated. They weren't sure where our table was, they got confused taking drink orders, drinks arrived one at a time and very slowly, food took a while too come out. They apologized for the slow food service by bringing us sherbet while we waited for the food. The waitress was nice but has an awful, constant, and grating Nevis laugh. We've eaten there once or twice previously and things went much more smoothly. This was a special birthday dinner which I indicated on the reservation but no mention was made of it, and the whole experience was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectationssadie86004Dined on 7/5/2014We arrived early and were seated within 10 minutes. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The food was very good and prepared perfectly. Calamari will be my entree next visit! Save room for the creme brulee!Special Features:
- Go to the barCarterDined on 6/19/2014Alex, the bar tender is amazing, friendly, knowledgeable, and very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- JenninealVIPDined on 6/14/2014We were very disappointed in the food. The spinach dip was fair, the lobster stuffed mushrooms were bland but the low light of the evening was the $34 filet. It was super thin, over cooked and had absolutely no flavor. (Did I mention the caprese salad had too much green thick pesto?) Biggest insult of the evening was the check - 87 dollars for a very disappointing meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Cheerful hostess and waitress but we had to wait too long to order, get served and pay. My husband loved his beef stroganoff but my scallops were plated with some very bitter kale that made them bitter. Since it is a teaching restaurant associated with NAU I did tell the waitress who let the cooks know.
- Great Dining Find in FlagstaffapricotalmaDined on 6/6/2014I was really pleased with the ambience (fireplace seating in the lounge) and booths/tables in the elegant, open-designed dining room. The wait-staff was very attentive but not overly so. They made accurate suggestions about food and drinks. We enjoyed a pre-dinner cocktail/beer in the lounge with a good selection of wines/beers/bar-snacks at reduced pricing during happy hour (4-6PM). My husband and I shared a wedge salad (excellent w/pickled onions garnish). Our dinner entrees were the porterhouse chop and half rack of the 1899 BBQ ribs - all excellent. I would also recommend a glass of their 1448 Runquist red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueJkrsmDined on 5/10/2014We were a larger party on graduation Saturday night. Seating was immediate at the time we requested on reservation. Food probably a little overpriced but drinks specials great. Ribs and filet were both outstanding entrees, those who got garlic/cheddar mashed potatoes raved about them. There were other large groups as well which may explain wait times for drinks and food. It was our plan for the evening so we didn't mind, but getting drinks out more expediently would have made things smoother. The breads and varied butters that were served upon seating were wonderful, but also made us hope our drinks would arrive soon. It was an unusual and fun night for a celebratory dinner; the waitstaff was good and friendly, just very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Was so excited when we found 1899. Have eaten diner there and our experience was non other than exceptional. We had salmon and steak and they were both delicious. Service was very attentive without being intrusive. Five stars all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 85 reviews are from the 1899 Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- foodfoodDined on 5/3/2014ribeye was great and cooked well. the chickedn queso pasta was good but would have choosen something else.Special Features:
- unhappy 18th birthdaylak13Dined on 4/26/2014I decided to go here for my 18th birthday. First time I received my drink. There was something floating in it, it had a hair in it, and I sent it back because it was flat and tasteless. The salads and appetizers were not brought put at the same time so I had to sit and watch half the table eat for atleast 5 minutes. I then order the calamari and the dip had a dry top to it like it had sat out for awhile. I then get to the main course and they get the temperature of my steak wrong so I had to send it back. Then we get to dessert and the creme brulee was soupy and the cheesecake was dry. I will not be returning unless changes are made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPlajhDined on 4/26/2014It seems to have better food every time I go. I had a perfectly cooked filet mignon! It was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Online reserve was very convenient, and table was ready when we arrived; we decided to wait in lobby for two persons of our group of 8 to arrive. There was a large party in the banquet room who came over to the bar and the bar was not large enough to accommodate that sort of traffic but we were able to get drinks at the table just as easily. Service was very good (several servers were working on our table with one in charge--so it was efficient; food served quickly. The food, whose prices make 1899 a place I would go for special occasions but not a regular destination, was excellent. All guests very satisfied. Ambient noise was high enough to make us comfortable with animated discussion but didn't impede our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality needs to change.foodenthusiastDined on 4/23/2014For the amount of food that you get at this restaurant, you would think that the quality would be outstanding but it is mediocre at best and I would never pay this much money for the food if I didn't have to spend my dining dollars. The restaurant should either increase the quality of their food for how much people have to pay, or increase portion sizes to fill up the diners rather than deprive them. That being said, the wings were the best part of the menu and you wouldn't expect to order wings at a restaurant of this atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great place for a dinner date.VaultBoyDined on 4/22/20141899 offers a great selection of extremely tasty, well-cooked food, yet it does so at an understandably high price. The menu can be very intimidating for college students, yet it is an awesome choice for the occasional dinner date. The option to pay with Dining Dollars/JDE is also quite helpful, and adds to the affordability index for those students who are still looking for a fancier dining establishment. Overall, great place.Special Features:
- CookingnauflopDined on 4/20/2014The service was fine - would not rate it to the quality that you are trying to achieve though. The food was Good - My particular steak was asked to be cooked Med Well - when I received it was WELL DONE - and not Hot by any means - maybe had been pre cooked then cooked to well. The Potatoes were not seasoned to well but were satisfactory Bottom line the steak for the Price was a real disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect holidayraptureDined on 4/20/2014Thanks for the fine dining available at 4pm and in a pleasant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuskratMuskratDined on 4/11/2014I have been told in the past that 1899 Bar and Grill has very poor food, and for the longest time I took people's advice. However when I went there with my boyfriend we had a wonderful time! The food was really good and the service was spectacular! I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey but steakSurelyUjestDined on 3/29/2014A little pricey but steak was delicious as was the salmon. We would go back next visit to Flagstaff as our one splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good...weLoveagoodmealDined on 3/28/2014The food was very good...we had the beef stroganoff and the meat was tender and the noodles perfect. Pork tacos were delicious and the bread fresh and warm with tastey butter selections. The atmosphere does not suit the cuisine...a bit bright and had more of a lunchtime feel...like an upscale cafeteria. Dimming the lights would make a difference. Decent wine selection...tried the local red it was delightful.
- Actually in Northern Arizona U.rbeatingtonVIPDined on 3/28/2014Restaurant is pleasant enough with unsurprising food. Not sure I would visit it again. Student servers were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1899 Bar & GrillBCPennyDined on 3/18/2014This is fine dining, I would not have named it a bar and grill. Yes, there is a bar and yes, you can, if you wish, watch the chef at work. The food was exquisite. Superb sauces, fish was not overcooked. Green beans right from the garden, still crispy and very full of flavor. A delicate salad with amazing black bean dressing (you heard that right). Fluffy whipped sweet potatoes. Perfectly cooked pasta. Delicious rosemary rolls with three kinds of spreads. Very good and cheerful service. The three of us were amazed at such a wonderful restaurant on the campus of NAU. Try it, you will like it! We had salmon, mahi mahi and penne pasta with a house salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Alternative for FlagstaffPtownBoyzVIPDined on 3/18/2014We stayed at the Drury and they offered a simple dinner for free but it was not our cup of tea. So we asked about the place next door and it offered a much better environment, a full bar, and decent menu of choice. For and service was not exceptional but based on the other places nearby, it looked like the best option. Keep in mind that we have eaten at many fine restaurants. Heck, the bar carried Hendricks gin and the food was fresh. No complaints but nothing exceptional for a higher rating.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2014We have eaten at 1899 on several other times and been very impressed. However, our meal on Sunday was very disappointing. The vegetable of the day was steamed green beans which were very plain and undercooked, not to mention something I could have made at home. The rice was bland and several of the people in our party were not impressed with their starter salads and main dishes. The salads arrived at different times and there was some sort of plastic material baked onto my meat. Needless to say, we do not recommend 1899 and will not be visiting again.
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Not a notable place, but it's really the only thing like it in Flagstaff. It's bad by any means, isn't great by any other though.Special Features:
- Loved the ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014The decor at 1899 is both contemporary and welcoming. There was a nice bar and a comfortable lounge area with fireplace which makes it ideal for cocktails and appetizers. We had an early dinner reservation, so there were not too many people in the dining room, but I can see it could noisy on a busy night. Although the dinner menu is limited, the food was excellent, the staff was extremely attentive and friendly and the wine was well-priced. I highly recommend the lobster-stuffed mushroom appetizer and the mole port porterhouse. They are not open for lunch on weekends, which is unfortunate because we are generally in town at that time and the lunch menu was more diverse than dinner.
- Perfect placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014Everything was amazingly perfect, it was simply the best place that I could have chosen to spend the anniversary of my relationship.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never return.anonymousDined on 3/13/2014This was overall one of the worst dining experiences we've ever had. Our server was completely unwelcoming and seemed to be miserable; the food reminded us of a school cafeteria; and we were seated at a very awkward table even though there were plenty of tables open that weren't so "out of the way" feeling. We will definitely not return.