1899 Bar & Grill
307 W. DuPont Ave
Flagstaff, AZ 86011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1899 Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.1899barandgrill.com/
- Phone: 9285231899
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music Sunday and Thursday evenings. Wine and Bar tastings monthly. Special events on the patio.
A word from 1899 Bar & Grill
The 1899 Bar & Grill fuses a turn-of-the-century American bistro with a contemporary steakhouse flair, featuring many foods native to the Southwest. The restaurant features a complete wine list with several regional beers on tap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
1899 Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Flagstaff ›
1899 Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (20)romantic (9)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Never AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The television in the bar area was way to loud and could be heard all over the restaurant. The food was not worth the price you pay. I ordered a filet and it was overcooked and instead of offering to redo it they suggested I order something different even though the steak was what I wanted. I ordered ribs that were like charcoal on the ends. And burnt BBQ sauce like they were reheated too long. I will never return to this place. You pay 100 dollars for dinner for two and the food is something you would expect at a place that offers a 2 for $20 menu.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Great food! A bit expensive but really good food.Special Features:
- adrianh55Dined on 10/10/2014The 1899 bar and grill is a beautiful sight. We made a reservation for 7 and we were promptly seated. Our waitress was friendly and quickly took our order. The food took an unusually long amount of time, close to an hour. When we did receive our food, I was surprised at how small the portions were considering the price. We ended up leaving still feeling hungry.
- Fabulous Food!RosyRedDined on 10/9/2014Would recommend 1899 in a heartbeat! Had the scallops, which are very easy to overcook, and they were utter perfection! The calamari is also delicious and the aioli sauce paired perfectly. My compliments to the chefs of 1899!Special Features:
- two out of threevacationsx2Dined on 10/6/2014We had a girls night here and the service was very good. The ribs, steak, and chili were very good. The elk was not very good at all bit the sides with it were nice. The place was big but there were not many customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedPeteDined on 10/6/2014This was our first time at 1899. Very pleasant experience. Food was great. Service was superb. Good to see students from the NAU culinary and hospitality school getting first hand knowledge of the restaurant business. We will return.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014The T bone special was tough and gristly. The server was young and in need of serious coaching. After each sentence (which we had difficulty understanding) she "giggled". Very unprofessional!Special Features:
- DisappointedknucklesDined on 10/3/2014I would not recommend this restaurant. The quality of food and service and did not meet my expectations.Special Features:
- Excellentdinner4dateDined on 9/27/2014From making the reservation to asking for directions to the food and service, everything was superb.Special Features:
- poor to fairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We went here to have a special going away dinner for our daughter. The restaurant is beautiful and service is great but the food is just poor to fair. Was really looking forward to the smoked ribs but they were nothing special and the napolean was not very good. Husbands chicken was fine.Special Features:
- xyz1Dined on 9/16/2014Food is good to very good—chili excellent (needs more beans).
- 1899 NAU-Enjoy this Dining GEMrpcdgsDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the selection of all menu items. Great flavors and excellent presentation. Nice wine and beer offerings. Easy to locate on the NAU campus and across street from Drury Inn. On DuPont street. Wonderful history since opening September 11, 1899 but modern updated decor and ambiance. Enjoy Saturday night dining with guest from out of town. All commented they would return again.Special Features:
- everything was 1st classmiloVIPDined on 9/2/2014Very attentive waiter and management . Nice menu, open kitchen. Nice quiet spot in college town.Special Features:
- great experienceOutdoordinerDined on 9/1/2014Had a great experience again and this restaurant. The menu changes periodically so its fun to try new things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Food and service were very good. My complaint is that initially the recorded music was just a bit too loud for the fine dining experience. That was acceptable compared to the live guitarist who started about mid-way through our meal. You could not understand what he was saying when he introduced a song and, at least in my opinion, the volume was not the background music it should have been. Instead he was the show rather than the food and conversation at the table. Not what we expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine, Steak, Scallops, DesertOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014The service staff and the chefs do a great job with this place. The food is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice when at NAUCraigDined on 8/22/2014I highly recommend 1899 Grill for a special dinner for any parent who is in town to visit their children attending NAU. The location was perfect, the restaurant was beautiful and everything we ordered for dinner was delicious. I will be back for Parent's Weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evemomgFlagstaffFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Even though the restaurant was quite busy with lots of parties waiting, our group of 6 was seated promptly to our reserved table. The service was attentive but not overbearing. The food arrived in a timely manner and was delicious...especially the hanger steak (cooked to perfection) and the steelhead trout.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was okay but not worth the price. The coffee was undrinkable.
- Fantastic Anniversary SpotHappyEddyDiners2Dined on 8/13/2014Compared to other restaurants we have dined at lately this place is on the spot with EVERYTHING; friendliness, service, recommendations on food items, and knowledge of the menu. As it was our anniversary they placed flowers on our table and offered us a free dessert. The food was very good, our steaks were delicious. Our server, Sidney, was very attentive and the bartender, Alexx, was great as well. We can't wait to take friends in for the happy hour.Special Features:
- nice restaurantjando1Dined on 8/9/2014There were 4 of us & we all enjoyed our food (especially dessert!). We do wish that they would put the lamb chops back on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnernjoyfinediningDined on 8/8/2014Had dinner here on the evening of our anniversary, it took awhile for them to come take our drink order but after that the service was terrific! Overall it was a relaxing evening with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014There are not many "fine dining" restaurants in Flagstaff, so it was good to find this place. The food and service were excellent, and definitely a welcome change from the bar food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couples Night OutAngelDined on 7/25/20141899 Bar & Grill is a restaurant we bring our out-of-town guests to because of the menu and the service! It's an excellent place to dine and have a conversation as it's not loud like many places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluemoonVIPDined on 7/12/2014Overall experience was okay. I did have to return my side dishes as not eatable. Server promptly removed item from bill. Being a wine collector I was surprised not to see at least one mid to high end wine on the list of a red and whiteSpecial Features:
- 1899 was great!VykisecretDined on 7/7/2014I had a huge meeting planned there for some clients but unfortunately most could not make it last minute. So it was just me and guest but the food was great and our waitress was wonderful. I will definitely do more client dinners here when I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Limited menu for dinner. Steaks were tough and overpriced for what we got. Servers were uninformed. I ordered a beer and was brought the wrong one. One bright spot was the cup on mushroom soup. Of the four dinning in our group, nobody had a good experience.
- Good food, not so great serviceFlagDinerDined on 7/5/2014The food was tasty and our group enjoyed it. The service wasn't up to par. There was confusion starting from the time we were seated. They weren't sure where our table was, they got confused taking drink orders, drinks arrived one at a time and very slowly, food took a while too come out. They apologized for the slow food service by bringing us sherbet while we waited for the food. The waitress was nice but has an awful, constant, and grating Nevis laugh. We've eaten there once or twice previously and things went much more smoothly. This was a special birthday dinner which I indicated on the reservation but no mention was made of it, and the whole experience was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectationssadie86004Dined on 7/5/2014We arrived early and were seated within 10 minutes. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The food was very good and prepared perfectly. Calamari will be my entree next visit! Save room for the creme brulee!Special Features:
- The following 91 reviews are from the 1899 Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Go to the barCarterDined on 6/19/2014Alex, the bar tender is amazing, friendly, knowledgeable, and very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- JenninealVIPDined on 6/14/2014We were very disappointed in the food. The spinach dip was fair, the lobster stuffed mushrooms were bland but the low light of the evening was the $34 filet. It was super thin, over cooked and had absolutely no flavor. (Did I mention the caprese salad had too much green thick pesto?) Biggest insult of the evening was the check - 87 dollars for a very disappointing meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Cheerful hostess and waitress but we had to wait too long to order, get served and pay. My husband loved his beef stroganoff but my scallops were plated with some very bitter kale that made them bitter. Since it is a teaching restaurant associated with NAU I did tell the waitress who let the cooks know.
- Great Dining Find in FlagstaffapricotalmaDined on 6/6/2014I was really pleased with the ambience (fireplace seating in the lounge) and booths/tables in the elegant, open-designed dining room. The wait-staff was very attentive but not overly so. They made accurate suggestions about food and drinks. We enjoyed a pre-dinner cocktail/beer in the lounge with a good selection of wines/beers/bar-snacks at reduced pricing during happy hour (4-6PM). My husband and I shared a wedge salad (excellent w/pickled onions garnish). Our dinner entrees were the porterhouse chop and half rack of the 1899 BBQ ribs - all excellent. I would also recommend a glass of their 1448 Runquist red wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueJkrsmDined on 5/10/2014We were a larger party on graduation Saturday night. Seating was immediate at the time we requested on reservation. Food probably a little overpriced but drinks specials great. Ribs and filet were both outstanding entrees, those who got garlic/cheddar mashed potatoes raved about them. There were other large groups as well which may explain wait times for drinks and food. It was our plan for the evening so we didn't mind, but getting drinks out more expediently would have made things smoother. The breads and varied butters that were served upon seating were wonderful, but also made us hope our drinks would arrive soon. It was an unusual and fun night for a celebratory dinner; the waitstaff was good and friendly, just very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Was so excited when we found 1899. Have eaten diner there and our experience was non other than exceptional. We had salmon and steak and they were both delicious. Service was very attentive without being intrusive. Five stars all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfoodDined on 5/3/2014ribeye was great and cooked well. the chickedn queso pasta was good but would have choosen something else.Special Features:
- unhappy 18th birthdaylak13Dined on 4/26/2014I decided to go here for my 18th birthday. First time I received my drink. There was something floating in it, it had a hair in it, and I sent it back because it was flat and tasteless. The salads and appetizers were not brought put at the same time so I had to sit and watch half the table eat for atleast 5 minutes. I then order the calamari and the dip had a dry top to it like it had sat out for awhile. I then get to the main course and they get the temperature of my steak wrong so I had to send it back. Then we get to dessert and the creme brulee was soupy and the cheesecake was dry. I will not be returning unless changes are made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPlajhDined on 4/26/2014It seems to have better food every time I go. I had a perfectly cooked filet mignon! It was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Online reserve was very convenient, and table was ready when we arrived; we decided to wait in lobby for two persons of our group of 8 to arrive. There was a large party in the banquet room who came over to the bar and the bar was not large enough to accommodate that sort of traffic but we were able to get drinks at the table just as easily. Service was very good (several servers were working on our table with one in charge--so it was efficient; food served quickly. The food, whose prices make 1899 a place I would go for special occasions but not a regular destination, was excellent. All guests very satisfied. Ambient noise was high enough to make us comfortable with animated discussion but didn't impede our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality needs to change.foodenthusiastDined on 4/23/2014For the amount of food that you get at this restaurant, you would think that the quality would be outstanding but it is mediocre at best and I would never pay this much money for the food if I didn't have to spend my dining dollars. The restaurant should either increase the quality of their food for how much people have to pay, or increase portion sizes to fill up the diners rather than deprive them. That being said, the wings were the best part of the menu and you wouldn't expect to order wings at a restaurant of this atmosphere.Special Features: