123 Old River Road
Andover, MA 01810Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wyndhamandover.com/
- Phone: 9786832663x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday- Saturday: 6:30am -11:00am
Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
*From 2:00pm to 5:00pm our Lunch is only available at 189 Prime (formerly known as On the Bone) Bar.
Many of our items can be prepared gluten free!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef John Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piped In Music
A word from 189 Prime
Merrimack Valley Neighborhood Steakhouse, featuring prime steaks, fresh Atlantic seafood, salads with locally sourced greens and organic produce in season. A full menu, designed with creative application and paired with the familiar make an impression. Contemporary, casual with a relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
189 Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Enjoyable dateRaylafVIPDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is always a hidden gem. Food is very good. Outside fire pit is great for an after dinner drink. Great for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly nice!8MyVeggiesDined on 9/26/2014I don't usually think much of restaurants located in a suburban chain hotel. 189 Prime is a great find and I expect we will return. We ate there late on a Friday night after checking into the hotel for a weekend wedding. The restaurant was quiet as I would expect around 9PM. The wait staff was very attentive. I had a hankering for a burger that evening but they aren't on the menu - but when I mentioned I really wanted our waitress said it would be no problem. My husband had the rib-eye from the menu. I added the Cheddar Bacon Tater Tots to my burger - additional charge - but they were worth it! We both enjoyed our meals.Special Features:
- Steak House?EatoutDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was very noisy to begin with. We could hear the conversation at tables on the other side of the room. Staff was pleasant enough, but definitely short handed for a Saturday night. The apps were excellent, chowder and zucchini. We both ordered steak, filet and flat steaks, both med/rare. They were serviced over done, dry and very little pink. We returned the steaks and when brought back they had ran out of the flat and brought filets, and the wrong sides. We said enough, returned the meals. The manager did come over apologized and said they had a wedding going on and that had everyone stressed. She did comp the whole meal which included our wine. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- The following 118 reviews are from the 189 Prime reviews archive.
- QuietDannyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Very quiet evening with friends. Felt a bit under dressed with jeans and a polo since it's next to the ballroom of the hotel so everyone is dressed up quite nice.
- Food overpriced and below mediocreSimpleDinerDined on 5/11/2014When this restaurant was called "On the Bone," it was quite good. No more, at least not yesterday. The seafood selections were very limited, but they couldn't even do those well. The haddock was tasteless, with a crumb topping that was inferior to what you'd sprinkle out of a can. The scallops were likewise undistinguished. The appetizer shrimp were miserably limp and tasteless. Maybe the clam chowder, though bland, rose to mediocrity. Save your money. You'd get a tastier meal at the 99 for example, at half the price.
- Surprisingly awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Yes this restaurant is in a hotel. Yes it is a bit out of the way. We had an early seating for valentines day. Menu was extensive, wine list was decent, prices were good and the service was impeccable. There was a group checking in for a hockey tournament but they closed the doors and kept the noise out. Very pleased. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find at local hotelReneeVIPDined on 1/29/2014There is no branding in or out of the hotel to distinguish this spot. Service was excellent and food was very good. Had the mushroom risotto which was outstanding, then the baked haddock for dinner. Husband had the Delmonico steak which was a fairly good, but pricey. If you are a foodie, the dishes here were tasteful and enjoyable, but the prices were high. We had a $50 OpenTable cert, otherwise it would have been $120 with tip for 2 dinners and 2 glasses of wine. I guess they can charge more because they are calling themselves a "steakhouse", but the room being used is like a large function room that is very open and was noisy. Not much ambiance, but service made up for it. Gave us birthday dessert as a freebie for occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/23/2014Food was good however service was just fair. Had a business meeting and dinner in the area otherwise may not have chosen. Would go back again however only because its convenient.
- 189 Prime.....BlechOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014My Husband and I went to 189 Prime for dinner last night. Big mistake. We should have turned around when we realized the restaurant was in a hotel.The place was almost empty at 7pm.There was only one waitress on staff &she did her best as server/bartender @ the same time. She took our app order,fried calamari (ended up being the pre packaged frozen ones. not good at all) she then took our order. We both ordered a steak (there were only a few items on the menu). it took 45 minutes to cook two 8 oz steaks rare. When we got them they were untrimmed grisly pieces of meat. I buy better steaks @market basket than what was served to us. The bill came to $122.00 for the two of us I brought them home for the dog. We ended up going out for Chinese
- First time trying 189 PrimecasdinDined on 1/17/2014First time trying 189 Prime (formerly On the Bone). It's inside of a hotel and off the beaten path. There are no signs to let you know there is a restaurant on the road, or even inside the hotel. Once seated, it took quite a while for a server to come to the table (which was odd since there weren't many diners in the restaurant). The menu consists mainly of steak dishes. There were 2 fish entrees. Appetizers and Desserts were limited. We tried the shrimp cocktail appetizer which was very good (shrimp were large and tasty). Then we had the filet mignon which was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. The steak came with a choice of side. Overall, the meal was very good. However, it was a bit pricey, and the service was slow.
- Christmas Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013Our oven was broken and we felt like something other than Chinese food so we discovered On the Bone as it was one of the restaurants that was open in our area on Christmas for dinner. We had a nice time. Food was good. Service was great. Would do it again!Special Features:
- Kitchen CollapseBrianCVIPDined on 12/18/2013This was a night to remember for all the wrong reasons. The restaurant is a hotel restaurant. As a such, one would assume that they are usd to handling volume. On this night with the restaurant half full, we waited an hour to get our first course. We were told that people in the bar were ordering food so the kitchen was backed up. When my dinner finally came, my medium rare steak came to the table in a charred form that in no way could be confused with medium rare. While the staff offered to bring me a new steak I declined as I was concerned how long that might take.
- Its ThereDT705Dined on 12/9/2013We checked this out one night when we felt like steak. Maybe the clever named spurred our interest. They do have steak. Its good but nothing special. The whole place lacked energy or enthusiasm of any type. It will exist until Wyndham goes with another restaurant format. I would say you could get a steak just as good or better up the street in Methuen/Salem for less money and have a better experience. I would not bother going back and I would be doing a disservice if I was to recommend On the Bone.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpisejeffmosesDined on 11/2/2013I found this restaurant on Open Table. My fiance and I were celebrating 12 years together. We were both pleased with everything. The food was delicious. The staff was very accommodating. We will go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slowest Kitchen EverModayDined on 10/12/2013We were a party of 8 that came in on a relatively slow night, around 6. In other words, that restaurant was not overly busy. Our server was a bit incompetent in that she seemed uncomfortable in this position. We ordered food, a few salads, a cup of soup and our entrees. While, yes we were a party of 8, with a one year old, we did not get our salads until 8 pm. Needless to say, we were hungry, we had a 3 hour drive after this dinner, a one year old, and a 2 hour wait for salads to be dropped. The manager did try to make nice and comped our entire meal. We understood it wasn't her fault, but their kitchen needs to get it together to avoid these uncomfortable situations they put the waitstaff in.Special Features:
- Such a disappointmentK82465Dined on 10/5/2013we had crab cakes, Arancini and calamari; Crab cakes, excellent, Calamari, bland and we all found that the accompanying sauce did not taste good. The Arancini was also bland and starchy. For entrees Angus burger, Statler Chicken, Osso Bucco; the burger the size of a burger king burger. Not bad but for 12 dollars you expect something more. I cold not eat my chicken. The menu said it was breast, but it was shaped like a leg quarter, but the meat was very light colored, so it's a mystery. It was so dry and stringy I couldn't cut it let alone chew it. The veal in the Osso Bucco was untrimmed and more fat than meat. The sauce was bland and so very full of carrots.
- variable food and serviceExperiencedDinerDined on 9/28/2013Salad and steak were excellent; ribs and key lime pie were not very good. Waitress was very inexperienced: forgot water and very slow fulfilling orders.
- Dinner: Not worth the $JimmyDined on 9/18/2013Hi, food was good but overpriced. Service was poor...I would not go back to this resturant.
- Great Place for Group Lunch!Mosaic1508Dined on 9/9/2013Nine friends met for lunch and were treated to very friendly accommodating staff. We were seated away from other patrons and received excellent service from the wait staff. Lots of choices for lunch at reasonable prices. All members of the party were happy with the choices they made for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable meal ofBillyVDined on 9/8/2013Always an enjoyable meal of great food with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enough......JeffDined on 7/20/2013We went there because it was near our hotel. When we sat down, it took a long time before the staff checked in with us or brought us water. There were only 3 tables occupied in the restaurant. The calimari was good. The salads were good. My expensive pork chop was supposed to be cooked medium. It was overcooked and tough, but the flavor was not bad. I don't love dry pork. The rest of the meals were good. Once our server got going, she was good enough. I wouldn't drive a long way to visit this restaurant, but for that spot on the map, it is good to acceptable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Buffet!StaceDined on 7/14/2013Great for brunch buffet! Can get crowded, but they do take reservations and were ready for our party promptly. Was checking it out as I'm having guests for my wedding stay here. Great option for them having this restaurant on premises!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Service BadMomofaNewGraduateDined on 6/9/2013I made reservations for a party of 9 for 12:30 p.m. on a Sunday to celebrate our daughter's graduation. At around 12:15, I got a call from the restaurant asking if we were still coming and if we'd like the brunch buffet or to order from the menu. Since the brunch buffet ended at 1 p.m. we opted for menu. I let them know we were running a little late and that we'd be there between 12:45 and 1:00. The place was empty except for one other large party. That was fine. However, it seemed that they didn't bother to have adequate staff to cover our table. We got intermittent service at best to the point that I got up to walk into the kitchen myself to make our needs known. For a graduation luncheon, it was a very disappointing experience.
- Amazing "hidden" treasure!RudeDawgDined on 5/19/2013Most people don't think of a restaurant at a hotel as a place to go when you're not staying there but believe me that is a terrible mistake to make! OTB has amazing food, a dedicated staff and great drinks. I have food allergies and the staff have gone out of their way to ensure my dining experiences are perfect. So far I have dined there twice this week and plan at least two more forays into their dining room. They can cater to parties large or small (I'm a party of one while last night they had a private party of 25 on the patio). If you are gluten sensitive, this is certainly a good place to dine as they have many menu options available (and it isn't a plain grilled chicken breast either).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They try to make it a steakhousepepsiloverVIPDined on 5/18/2013They try to make it a steakhouse akin to Capitol Grille or Morton's but in reality it's still a hotel restaurant that smells like a conference, with cheap furniture and no class. Our waitress, Tiffany, was fantastic and saved the day for us. They were out of five things that we ordered, which tells me they're probably going out of business in the short term.
- Mother dayMotherdayDined on 5/12/2013Your food was very very good. The wine was excellent. The sever was very nice, but a little slow. Over all I would go back next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Breakfast BuffetBrimel2527Dined on 5/12/2013Plenty of decent food available at our Mother's Day buffet. Good omelet station, cooking 4 at a time, so the wait wasn't very long. Only 2 waffle makers, which slowed things down a bit for those so inclined. Only complaint is we could have used more frequent stops by the orange juice server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for brunch on Mother'slyss1Dined on 5/12/2013Went for brunch on Mother's Day and the food was absolutely delicious! They made sure that the buffet was constantly stocked, and the made fresh to order omelets and Belgium waffles were amazing! I highly recommend this restaurant, although I have only tried the brunch I can only imagine how good their dinner menu would be, I will be returning their shortly to find out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tall was ok. the steak wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013tall was ok. the steak was not an aged trnder steak,but it was the omly steak place around.
- It was decent. It was theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/31/2013It was decent. It was the most inexpensive Easter brunch I could find that didn't look awful. The food was okay and there weren't any crazy options.Special Features:
- The best steakhouse in townOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/30/2013The best steakhouse in town !!! French onion soup was one of the best I ever taste We strongly recommand this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Think Olive Garden in a hotelWatermapVIPDined on 2/18/2013Think Olive Garden in a hotel setting. If a chain restaurant is your thing, you'll be happy here. The food is very processed and unimaginative. The interior was sad and dreary. When we first arrived and were seated the room had an industrial cleaning smell. Very unappealing. I knew we were in trouble when Muzak was playing in the dining room. Muzak?!! Really? I should say we did go for lunch and our party had 8. There was one other party of 2. Maybe the atmosphere is different for dinner...not possible. We did have two seasoned women waiting on us and they were excellent.Very nice and accommodating. There are so many excellent hotel restaurants around Boston. This just isn't one of them.If you are a foodie, run far and fast AWAY!Special Features:
- Went there to have the bonedelidonDined on 2/16/2013Went there to have the bone in filet & it's not on the menu anymore. Also it was a saturday 3 days after valentines day & they still had a limited menu from valentines day, Was very disapointed.
- We went to On The Bone aftercorgisDined on 2/15/2013We went to On The Bone after reviewing the menu on their website. When we arrived their menu at the restaurant was nothing like the one on-line. When I mentioned this to the waiter he came back and said they only offer a limited menu at the restaurant. We ordered filet mignon's and when they arrived they had no seasoning not even salt and pepper. The meat was tender but it didn't matter because it had no taste. Very disappointing and we would not go back.
- Nice restaurant in the Wyndham.luv2dineDined on 2/15/2013Nice restaurant in the Wyndham. Accessible from the highway. Affordable.Special Features:
- This is a restaurant insideOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/14/2013This is a restaurant inside a hotel - which I usually avoid because the food is usually overpriced for the quality... Not at On the Bone. The food is outstanding!Special Features:
- Everything was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/2/2013Everything was great. The only critique I have is the ambiance didn't feel like it matched the restaurant. Its inside of the Wyndham hotel and decor felt more like a conference room than a restaurant. Lighting was too high for evening dinner. If they warned up the atmosphere they could have a phenomenal business. Foodies will go back only if the experience meets expectations. Great food. Great service.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2013Food and service excellent!! Waitress Lori was very thoughtful, attentive and friendly. Maybe a special cup of coffee for my husband who is alllergic to caffeine in case "the decaf" got mixed up.She gave helpful sggestions when asked and was right there whenever we needed something. A very enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- Food and service was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Food and service was very good.The waitress we had was friendly and checked back often to see if we needed anything. Overall it was a bit pricey, especially for drinks.Special Features:
- We made reservations for NewOochiDined on 12/31/2012We made reservations for New Year's Eve for 6 initially. We called and changed it to 4 a few days before. When we got to the restaurant there was a big table for 6 right in front that we had to take. My husband has a hearing problem and it didn't work at all for us. The veal chop my husband order was overcooked and extremely salty. The other veal chop was perfect. Our meals were good...period. Nothing at all special for a New Year's Eve dinner. Nothing elegant. The bill was split in two and our bill had the entire tip and the other bill had 1/2 the tip. This is an honest mistake but when we brought it to the manager's attention he tried to tell us it was correct. I had to take out my calculator to show him.