123 Old River Road
Andover, MA 01810Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wyndhamandover.com/
- Phone: (978) 683-2663
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday- Saturday: 6:30am -11:00am
Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
*From 2:00pm to 5:00pm our Lunch is only available at 189 Prime (formerly known as On the Bone) Bar.
Many of our items can be prepared gluten free!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef John Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piped In Music
A word from 189 Prime
Merrimack Valley Neighborhood Steakhouse, featuring prime steaks, fresh Atlantic seafood, salads with locally sourced greens and organic produce in season. A full menu, designed with creative application and paired with the familiar make an impression. Contemporary, casual with a relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
189 Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)Show More
- I was looking forward to aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012I was looking forward to a nice dinner with a group of co-workers and it was nice except for the crying child at another table. The food was good although the scallops that two of my friends ordered had to be returned as they were not cooked. I was surprised that they did not take them off the bill. Overall, I would recommend this place to others. The ambiance and Christmas decorations were wonderful.Special Features:
- The appetizers we orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2012The appetizers we ordered took a little bit of time to get served. Dinner portions were very good. We wanted another bottle of wine and had to ask another waitress because our waiter was not coming to our table. Another time we had to flag our waiter because he never came to offer us any water except for the first time when we sat down at the table. One of the lamb dishes we ordered was not available and the wine we also ordered was not available. Overall it was a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- On the Bone was one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012On the Bone was one of the few restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day. We are from another state and On the Bone provided an excellent Thanksgiving dinner. Atomosphere was good and plenty of food. We felt a bit guilty having them stay open late to accommodate us and our group of kids (hockey kids) but we really appreciate their quality and quantity of food and friendly atomosphere. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- The food was well-preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012The food was well-prepared and presented. Everything was very well received, and quite delicious. All of our party of four ordered differently, and all selections were as anticipated, and quite well received. We all agreed that we would return.
- On The Bone was very goodbasildaveVIPDined on 10/19/2012On The Bone was very good but could become great by improving just a few things. First, they could upscale a little. For a steak house, they present themselves a little understated and with less formality than you'd expect for the type of restaurant. This is a restaurant in jeopardy of letting things go.Special Features:
- Hidden gemRaylafVIPDined on 10/13/2012This restaurant is a hidden gem. We never have a problem getting a table and the food has always been good. The fact that it is in a hotel may throw people off, but it's worth trying.Special Features:
- Waitress went missing...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/19/2012Not a lot to say... went in for a breakfast meeting at 10:00 a.m. on a Wednesday. Was advised by the waitress that the buffet was ending at 10:00 (we weren't interested in it). I mentioned that was fine and that we would probably get a muffin or something in a bit. Waitress never came back to check on us or refill coffee, needless to say never had a muffin. We were there a total of 3 hours for the meeting and never saw her again until a check was brought upon request.
- Good win list, nicely decorated,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2012Good win list, nicely decorated, but overpriced for the venue. Scallop appetizer was very good, calimari was cooked just right, grilled asparagus was excellent, arancini a little dry, I had the porterouse steak, it was ternder but not as tender as it should be for the price nor was it flavored like a $40/steak. Had to add salt and pepper.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2012Excellent food and service but it is in a hotel and has the "hotel bar" feel to it.Special Features:
- Terrible Pork chop, highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2012Terrible Pork chop, highly overcooked. Bad wine list.
- Not really a steakhouseSuburbanguyintocityVIPDined on 7/23/2012This restaurant bills itself as a steakhouse but it doesn't even come close to matching the quality of other area steakhouses. Very expensive for the product. Drink orders were slow. My New York strip was overcooked and flavorless. I should have been more wary of a hotel based restaurant.
- We had outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2012We had outstanding service and the food was fantastic. Our waiter answered all of our questions we had about the menu.Special Features:
- GREAT Steaks !!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2012Awesome appetizers....the scallops are heavenly. The homemade hummus was really good too! I was with a party of three and we all had a different steak, cooked to a different temperature. We were all equally happy with how are meals were prepared.Special Features:
- it was OK - but I was disappointedEJOGVIPDined on 6/19/2012it was OK - but I was disappointed that it was in the hotel -- and when we arrived it was pretty empty -- given it was on Open Table I thought it would be a little more upscale - the food was just OK -- nothing to write home about --
- I reserved a table for 8.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2012I reserved a table for 8. The experience from reserving the table on OpenTable to service at the restaurant was exceptional. We were running late so I called to inform them of our intention of still honoring the reservation. The hostess was very courteous and held our reservation. She went on to confirm that we were able to get a table in the courtyard as I had requested on OpenTable. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted with a warm reception and promptly taken to our table which was situated under the canopy of their beautifull courtyard. Our waitress was prompt, familiar with the menu and attended to our every request whilst making sure that we had water. Great cuts of beef, a diverse menu to please all palettes, including children.Special Features:
- Considering that we waitedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2012Considering that we waited twenty minutes before our drink order was even taken, and 45 minutes for our appetizers, I would have expected the food to be stellar given all the time they had to prepare it. However, my husband's shrimp cocktail tasted like Pledge, and my Bearnaise sauce tasted like pure white vinegar. Additionally, our bread arrived in a bag with a SKU on it. For $111, I would have expected better - of course, it should've been a cue when the waitress complained about how understaffed they were when she finally arrived to take our drink order. Lastly, I mentioned in our reservation that we were celebrating my husband's birthday and there was no mention of the occasion. I would avoid this place; I surely will not be returning.
- We Love on the Bone, theirOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2012We Love on the Bone, their food has never disappointed us. We go there for every special occasion. I personally love the Cowboy RibeyeSpecial Features:
- We were there for a SaturdayBeverlyDined on 5/19/2012We were there for a Saturday lunch. The goat cheese appetizer was very good but the entree, a saffron rissoto with shrimp was lackluster. The waiter made an excellent French martini!Special Features:
- Excellent service. The filetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012Excellent service. The filet mignon was awesome. We all enjoyed our meals very much. Service was great. Did not like the ambiance too much.
- Not worth itprotogeekVIPDined on 3/2/2012For $150 for two people, there's definitely better food out there. Everything was OK but definitely not worth the Boston-steakhouse-level prices.
- Only the bar area was openfoodnerdVIPDined on 3/1/2012Only the bar area was open for lunch, though that was not obvious from the website. Portions were adequate though overly salty- burger & fries not exciting.
- We went to celebrate our anniversarOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/18/2012We went to celebrate our anniversary, so we were looking for some place new to try. The food was fine - not bad, but not the best food ever. The service however was terrible. We had to ask our waiter twice for glasses of water at the start of the meal and we also had to ask for it to be refilled. The waiter almost completely ignored us after we put in our order, he left empty cocktail glasses on the table, even after he delivered food & a glass of wine. Then he came over while my husband was still finishing up & asked if we wanted dessert. As soon as we said no, he dumped the check on the table and then it was at least 10 minutes before he came back for the credit card. It was not busy at all, so there wasn't a need to rush us out.
- First time at on the bone.FrequentDinerVIPDined on 2/17/2012First time at on the bone. Was seated quickly, very good service, the food was very good (look forward to trying the small bites). It was a nice relaxing evening. I would recommend it to anybody that is looking for nice evening, not for someone who is in a rush.Special Features:
- Deserves another chance...mmerrimanDined on 2/14/2012The food was great - and the portions were large, although the actual prep didn't match the menu. Service was a disaster - waiter blamed the kitchen, the manager blamed the waiter, but meanwhile every table around us had a problem with food prep. At the end of the night the manager took ownership of the problem and we'll give them another shot. The ambiance is what you'd expect of dining in a hotel....
- We enjoyed it very much. TheMaddieDined on 2/14/2012We enjoyed it very much. The food was also very good. It was nearly empty. Why? I think it is really for dinner. They probably have an agreement with the hotel to be open for lunch. The waitress was the bartender. She gave us a double gelato to share. It was only 4 dollars. Also it was Valetine's Day.Special Features:
- Had lunch with 11 people,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2012Had lunch with 11 people, they were great getting us our food in a timely manner & keeping it hot. :) I especially like that Buffalo burgers were an option.Special Features:
- This was the second time IOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/5/2012This was the second time I ate at On the Bone. Food was great the first time I ate there (about 6 months ago), so, as I was staying at the Windham where it is located, it was very convenient and made sense to go again. The restaurant was unfortunately noisy with young girls who were at the hotel for some sort of event. Tables are out in the open, so the noise carries alot. They did have a wonderful wine list and a large variety of food options. The crabcake appetizer was fair - more filler than I would have liked. The Nicoise Salad was perfect with beautiful seared black sesame coated ahi tuna. As always, their bread was wonderful too, and the prices are very reasonable. Definitely still the best choice in that area of Andover.Special Features:
- We went for xmas. We decidedanniefDined on 12/25/2011We went for xmas. We decided to sit in bar area bc of a loud child. The bar area is very romantic.Special Features:
- BewareLovingLifeVIPDined on 12/21/2011Located in a Wyndham Hotel, which the Open Table review does not share, we were surprised at the good quality of the food and service. However, we requested a good table for senior execs of Fortune 50 companies, and even with the restaurant practically empty, were seated near the front door, facing the reception podium, the hotel entry, the clean-up station. My customers made their displeasure clear to me. The write up on Open Table greatly over-states the restaurant. I'd say it is an upscale coffee shop with really good menu-item food - even though they point you to a steam table buffet. If the write up had been clear about the venue, I would not have been so disappointed or embarrassed. Service was exceptional, though.
- I ordered the buffalo burger,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/17/2011I ordered the buffalo burger, which was over cooked. Everyone else in my party very much enjoyed thier meals. The outdoor dining is great, however the service we had was pitiful.Special Features:
- Don't even consider going hereBostonGaryDined on 9/14/2011Waste of time and money. Hotel-based restaurant trying to impress; fell incredibly short. Expensive, not at all worth it. Vegetables were so overcooked they could be pureed with a fork. Meats were so overly marinated that I couldn't tell what it was.
- Meat was well cooked - potatoesFirstvisitDined on 9/10/2011Meat was well cooked - potatoes lukewarm - vegetables deliciousSpecial Features:
- This place of ok. food wasMicheleVIPDined on 9/10/2011This place of ok. food was adequate but not great. The atmosphere was nice not too much noise. Would recommend for steak only.
- I really wanted to love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2011Although our dining experience was good, I wouldn't recommend this restaurant because it was mediocre at best. When we arrived at 6:30 on a Saturday night, there was only one other table dining. We went into the bar, which was quite nice. The diners joining us arrived and we proceeded to the hostess area. Waited a few minutes to be acknowledged then seated. The crabcake app. and artichoke dip were just okay. For the entree, one steak went back for being well instead of medium. Although, the waiter apologized for the cook...we didn't get his meal back til we were all done. Unfortunately, I had to tell the waiter to delete his meal off the bill. I really wanted to love this place. I probably wouldn't dine here again. No WOW factor.Special Features:
- Everything was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2011My husband and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary here. We selected it because our reception was at the Wyndham Andover. The restaurant had since changed to On the Bone but we were willing to give it a try......and we're so glad we did. We started off with a bottle of DeLoach Red Zinfandel, which was smooth and tasty. The seafood stew appetizer was amazingly flavorful with just the right spices. My filet was cooked perfectly, the garlic mashed potatoes and seasonable veggies were great too. And, the turtle cheesecake was a perfect dessert choice. I can't remember the last time that everything we ordered was so amazing from wine to appetizer to entree to dessert. Special thanks to our server Brett for treating us so well!Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2011This is a hidden gem at the Wyndham Hotel in Andover. Great if you want a quiet place to go on a Saturday night. Not inexpensive, but the food is fantastic and the portions are very generous.Special Features:
- Four of us went to On theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2011Four of us went to On the Bone for dinner, Saturday, May 21, 2011. My husband and I both ordered filet mignon medium. It was cooked closer to well done. The couple we were with both ordered a rack a ribs. It was too spicy for one of them to even eat. She ordered some sort of blueberry sorbet for dessert, and did not like that either. We have all gone out to eat at many other places over the years, and I can say we are not usually picky. To be honest, I have had much better food from Long Horn Steakhouse. The waitress was very attentive and the hostess was very friendly.
- The waitress mixed up my wineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/16/2011The waitress mixed up my wine order, brought me a white zinfandel, after I ordered a red zinfandel. She kept referring to me as "sweetie" and infrequently visited our table. It took her an especially long time to clear our plates, take a dessert order and process our check.
- We were surprised that thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2011We were surprised that this fairly new restaurant was so quiet on a Sat night. We suspected that maybe this was so due to it being out of the way a bit. The service was ok, salad came with the dinner and no dessert menu was offered. Filet Mignon was good, but potatoes were dry. Just ok, nothing special.Special Features:
- Good food, bad setupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/20/2011I had previously been to On the Bone for the breakfast buffet when they used to do the omelette / waffle station in the bar area. Now it is done at the end of the buffet line, this creates a bottle neck and provides for long waits, not an ideal situation in a restaurant that can accommodate quite a few people.