1846 Tavern and Restaurant
108 Route 100
West Dover, VT 05356Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1846 Tavern and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.mountsnowrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8024645207
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Kyle Garell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music Wednesday-Sunday nights at 7pm during the winter season. Live music Thurs-Sat nights at 7pm during all other seasons.
A word from 1846 Tavern and Restaurant
You can have exceptional, top of the line fine dining quality food and still have a fun, relaxing evening too. At our house, no need to worry about talking too loud or using the wrong fork. Relax, eat, enjoy. Step through our 19th century doors and savor our 21st century legacy. Once a popular stagecoach stop, the 1846 Tavern and Restaurant at the West Dover Inn continues an important American tradition begun over 160 year ago. Nestled away in Vermont’s picturesque Green Mountains, this historic tavern and restaurant lovingly blends fresh local ingredients with modern inventive recipes to create a fun and memorable night out. Our sauces are hand crafted, our certified Black Angus burgers and steaks are hand-cut and our fresh seafood hand selected. Enjoy an intimate fireside dinner in the dining room, a fun family night out in the restaurant or a cold drink while watching the game and listening to live music in the tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1846 Tavern and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great BurgerBrenVIPDined on 3/29/2014My husband had a very good burger. It was cooked perfectly. I had the crab cakes which was also a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014We always eat at the 1846 Tavern when we are in West Dover VT and we are never disappointed. The Butternut Squash Ravioli was the best as was the Shepherd's Pie. We enjoy it tremendously. Thank you so much! The MillersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vermont StyleJoansridgeDined on 3/8/2014The first time we had dinner here we loved it and since then have been coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014I thought this restaurant was great! It was a local place with a great homey atmosphere! The food was delicious! We sat at the bar after and had a nice after dinner drink talking with the locals and frequent guests! It was obvious it was their favorite as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was better!srp36Dined on 2/22/2014This was our second visit to the 1846 Tavern and we came back quickly because it was so great the first time! And the dishes that were so delicious and beautifully presented were still awesome but the specials, notably the beef stroganoff, were definitely disappointing. This particular dish was described as chunks of prime rib with housemade horseradish fettucine in a cream sauce. Translate to prime rib leftovers(and grizzle!) over soggy noodles in tasteless sauce! The hamburgers which were supposed to be so good, were likewise disappointing. My husband and son are hamburger afficionados and thought they were tasteless and mealy. Salmon remained awesome as did the short ribs and fish and chips. our appetizers were also delicious. Off night.Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceMikeDined on 2/20/2014We were pleasantly surprised. While staying near Mount Snow, we had made reservations for one evening. As we entered the place, we were not quit sure what to expect, and had an initial impression that it would be a run of the mill meal. We were wrong, as our waitress was very attentive, even giving some good recommendations. The food was absolutely outstanding from the salad to the desert. Sitting by the old working fireplace with the snow falling outside, along with the live acoustic guitar from the bar area was a very nice atmosphere. The music actually helped to mask noise of conversations at other tables, and make a very nice background.I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingMikeVIPDined on 2/19/2014Great continental food with local flavor. Cozy environs with a locals-oriented tavern up front. Only knock is no bread served with my soup.Special Features:
- DisappointedGinaDined on 2/16/2014We have eaten at the 1846 tavern several times before and it has been a decent experience This time, however, it was a total disappointment. It was a busy night but thanks to our reservation we were seated promptly. The waitress was clearly overwhelmed and took a long time - we were patient. Drinks and apps were good (party of 5 with 3 Tweens). The bread basket never arrived despite reminding our waitress twice. After a very long time Our food arrived - totally overcooked. The burgers were charred and dry. My salmon was also totally charred And dry with no sauce and on dry burnt white toast .Special Features:
- Great Place kind ServiceBDAYDINNERDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went on Valentine’s day and from the moment we arrived I knew it was a great place. From the Bar tender to the Host to the Waitress and the rest of the kitchen team it was great service and meal. We never felt rushed and we were never looking to get to the next course it was just perfect. They did a great job and I am so glad we choose 1846 for our special valentines meal. What a great team. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT BAR TENDER LOUSY WAITRESSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014After waiting for 15 minutes I had to get up and ask the host to send over a waiter/waitress. The waitress arrives and we put in our order for apps, dinner and 2 more drinks. My beer arrives a couples of minutes later, then the apps arrive 10 minutes after that. Still no drink for my wife. At this point i get up go to the bar and immediately get a drink from the bar tender. The waitress sees me at the bar, then brings my wife her drink that has half the ice melted. We tell her to send it back we already got it ourselves. From that point on we didnt see her. When we were done our waitress comes back and asks if we would like dessert? I laughed and said "NO". She brings the check, and the drink we told her to bring back is on the bill.Special Features:
- Valentines DinnerKeithDined on 2/14/2014Great Valentines dinner! Drinks were yummy. Ribeye with risotto was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYE dinnerbk2vtDined on 12/31/2013Great NYE dinner, priced only slightly higher than normal menu, which was refreshing. Food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I have been toobrien57Dined on 11/7/2013My wife and I have been to the Inn (and its Tavern) a number of times; the staff and ambience are always wonderful and the food exceptional. In the tiny ski town of West Dover, VT there is a world-class chef preparing amazing dishes using locally-sourced ingredients. Menu highlights include (both main courses) duck and sea scallop offerings (among others) and a fabulous array of appetizers including duck tenders in a hoyisin sauce...'great selection of deserts including one of the best apple pies we've ever enjoyed...heartily recommended...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A decent place.jamesDined on 10/23/2013This is decent food and a moderate selection of okay wine. It also is open for a good meal when many other places around are closed for the season. I thank them for being there.Special Features:
- The seafood was excellent!LeafPeeperDined on 10/13/2013The seafood was excellent! They mentioned they bring it in daily from Portland ME. Strongly recommend. Definately make a reservation on the weekend or you may not get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a group of six andguest6Dined on 10/13/2013We were a group of six and were seated at a round table and were able to talk,,,something we can not do when seated at a long table. We asked for the round table when we made the reservation, and were please we were accomodated. We all enjoyed our meal selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats in a Cool PlaceBobnJanisDined on 10/5/2013We just arrived in West Dover and starting calling around for dinner reservations and the two more famous places in town said "no way" We found the 1846 Tavern on Yelp! and made a reservation through OpenTable. What a find! The food was great, I had the Cod special which just melted in my mouth. My wife had the short rib, another winner. The Clam Chowder was delicious. The staff was friendly and the singer/guitar player was a treat. This is all to say that the 1846 was not our first choice upon arrival to town, it sure is now. Thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected surprise!sissuecDined on 9/22/2013When we first walked in the entrance is through the small bar, lots of TV's on, tuned to sports, but all muted. The aroma of food was wonderful! As we were seated we started with cocktails that were prepared exactly as ordered. Menu contains a great variety of tavern/pub food but also fine dining selections. I wondered how that would be with such a variety. I started with a cup of the clam chowder, delicious! We ordered scallops and crab cakes, both entrees were excellent, and the plating would be acceptable in any 5 star restaurant. Diners around us had burgers that looked equally as good. We were very pleased with our meal and the service was outstanding as well.Special Features:
- Duck to die for.JCOBDined on 8/14/2013Everything on the menu is fabulous. The staff is superb. If you are anywhere near West Dover VT, stop in for a first rate dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Food and Nice AmbianceRicklDined on 7/6/2013Went to 1846 Tavern and Restaurant over the 4th of July weekend and enjoyed it greatly. Service was good and food was delicious and served promptly and at the right temperature. The chocolate Lava Cake was excellent! Wine choices were good, and the atmosphere was upbeat with a guitarist. The bar area had a lot of patrons enjoying the music and company I would recommend this resteraunt.Special Features:
- Overall great!LovestoeatDined on 3/23/2013Had a great dinner there with my kids while on a little ski trip to Mt. Snow. The staff was great. The food was great. The locally-brewed beer and the live guitar player were great. Would love to come to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- We had an excellent dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 3/16/2013We had an excellent dinner here on a busy Saturday night. The bar was hopping with some apre-ski music when we arrived at 6:45, but that ended soon after. By 7:30 a trio was playing in the dining room we were in, which made it a little loud. All of our food was delicious. A rack of lamb appetizer for $9 could have been a main course. I have never had better salmon, and the crab cake entree was very good as well. The chocolate lava cake for dessert was to die for. Service was attentive and pleasant. The food here is as good as anywhere in the area. Prices are about the same as other good restaurants. I could do without the dinner music, but it does give the place more of an upbeat atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great place bad recent visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2013Magician was terrific as always. We were seated on top of a 3 piece band and couldn't have a conversation with the person next to you....and we had a 6 yr old with us. The main meal was served over 60 mins after the appetizer and my 'medium' steak came out well done. And to top it off, there was an automatic 20% gratuity since we were a party of 6. Overall a terrible experience, which was disappointing in that our previous visits had all been outstanding.Special Features:
- I'd been to this restaurantZakSVIPDined on 3/2/2013I'd been to this restaurant several times about 5 years ago, and had very good memories and high expectations. Unfortunately, they were not fully met. The food was still very good -- Maple Butternut Squash soup, Gnocchi and Salmon were all very tasty. I remembered the ambiance as being more romantic, but there were a lot of children (though we did eat at an early hour). Regrettably, the positives of the experience were hampered by poor service. No bread, 20 minutes to bring out a glass of wine -- but the owner was very responsible, getting us the bread and the drink, and even giving us an extra drink on the house. Nonetheless, the food is good and I still recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- We had a cozy table by theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013We had a cozy table by the fireplace (just as we had reserved) and it was nice and toasty! We had our 8 year old son with us and it was "child friendly". When he was done he sat in the main living room of the Inn while my husband and I finished our dinner. We both started out with a salad of nice greens. I had the pan seared scallops over carrot risotto and they were delicious. My husband had a steak special and enjoyed his as well. The waitress was very helpful with our questions and brought out a sample the chef prepared lobster appetizer. Portions were perfect and we left feeling quite full. We recommend this restaurant to all who are looking for fine dining in a comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great food,relaxed atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/15/2013Great food,relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. We look forward to eating here every winter when we visit Vermont. We liked the live music.Special Features:
- Excellent casual diningsja54Dined on 2/8/2013A very nice casual dining spot close to Mt Snow. Food is very good and service is excellent and friendly.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinner.ChristineDined on 1/20/2013We had a wonderful dinner. The food was delicious and ambience and service was very good. Would recommmend.Special Features:
- A magical eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2013Food was delicious, service was great, and everyone loved the slight of hand magician! Was there on Saturday night over Martin Luther King weekend. All 8 of us ( adults and kids included) had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- found this restaurant on tripadvisoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012found this restaurant on tripadvisor. the food was outstanding. I had the salmon with beets on a potatoe puree, my daughter the short ribs and my husband the fish and chips! Everything was cooked to perfection and the price was right!Special Features:
- Your everyday bar sceneSYUSYADined on 12/28/2012It was a decent bar with live music, decent beer on tap and good quality bar food. It was not amazing, and each dish could have been prepared better, such as the scallops that would have been tasty if not burned, the fish'n'chips that was a bit too dry, and the duck strips special that had too much breading and not enough duck. Overall, not a terrible experience but nothing to write home about. Would go again but with lower expectations.
- The food, service and atmosphereMamieVIPDined on 11/3/2012The food, service and atmosphere were all very good. The Tavern was extending a special offer to the victims of Hurrican Sandy which was very gracious. The only suggestion I would have is to update the inside making it a little brighter.
- Lively and Fine FoodMimiDined on 10/6/2012Food was excellent! They also have a magician in the bar who is very entertaining. Rustic atmosphere and lively bar. White table cloths and a variety of specials the night we were there. Would definitely recommend this eating establishment. Be sure to try the marinated steak tips!!Special Features:
- We ordered the scallops andSweetpeaVIPDined on 9/1/2012We ordered the scallops and they were outstanding! The corn bisque special was also very good. We will definitely be back!
- Great experience! Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2012Great experience! Great place with a great staff and outstanding food!Special Features:
- We had dinner there whileOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/2/2012We had dinner there while we stayed at the Inn. The scallop/risotto dish was AMAZING!Special Features:
- Lovely old place in VT. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/8/2012Lovely old place in VT. We were on vacation during Easter week. Restaurant stayed open for us as our reservation was made prior to leaving for VT. We were the only couple there! Got to know the server VERY well. They had hoped to close earlier, but honored our reservation and were very attentive. Great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Came here for dinner on StOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2012Came here for dinner on St Patricks day. It was energetic- there were some larger parties and live Irish music playing. They had a magician roaming around who we carefully avoided, but other parties seemed to enjoy his act. I really wanted to give this place 5 stars- the food was outstanding (soup, Mac & cheese, chicken sandwiches) and the beer selection was good- otter creek even brews a special beer just for them. However, our service experience was slow as molasses - it took us two hours to eat and get out of there. For an app and two sandwiches (not their $40 steaks, mind you) that's ridiculous.Special Features:
- Great relaxed feel after aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2012Great relaxed feel after a day on the slopes. We enjoyed the Saturday evening entertainment, from the live irish music to the magician. I was a bit surprised to see the table next to us receiving a meal that wasn't on the menu. Then I reliazed, our waitress apparenty didn't tell us about the evening specials. That was a little annoying, as I would have ordered the special if I had known what it was.Special Features:
- Great spot for dining afterMamieVIPDined on 2/26/2012Great spot for dining after a day of skiing! Menu included full and "tavern" food.