500 Hartnell Avenue
Monterey, CA 93920Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurant1833.com/
- Phone: (831) 643-1833
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Sun-Thur 6:00PM - 9:30PM Bar menu until 10:30PM
Fri & Sat 5:30pm - 10pm Bar Menu until 11:00pm
Social Hour: Mon-Fri 5:00PM-6:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abby Burk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant 1833 has several options for private dining and banquet parties. Please email us at email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Group Dining Team 831-643-1833x
- Entertainment: DJ on Saturday Nights
- Special Events: For group dining please email our group dining team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from 1833
1833 is located at the historic Stokes Adobe house. We have reinvented this landmark to offer modern, sophisticated yet casual American dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
1833 reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)special occasion (122)romantic (120)neighborhood gem (79)vibrant bar scene (70)notable wine list (69)good for groups (66)hot spot (62)great for outdoor dining (58)late-night find (28)scenic view (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- MohBearDined on 11/16/2014GREAT PLACE, ONE OF MY FAVORITES , GOOD FOOD AND VERY PRICEY SO ITS RESERVED FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS IN MY OPINIONSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Despite a reservation & observing people being seated while we waited , finally seated 30 minutes post reservation . After we inquired . After observing empty tables . Service pretentious . Service unnecessarily long between courses . One appetizer forgotten , had to inquire . A 2 1/2 hour dining experience that was unremarkable . Food over rated , over priced . A big disappoint for a 20th Anniversary celebration .
- Sllloooowww service does not make up for good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014I cannot complain about the food: it was good. The service was slow... painstakingly slow. We had 6:30 reservations, received our drinks & order of (delicious!) biscuits at 6:50... our soup & salad came at 7:30 (well after the biscuits were gone and after I had asked about the order). We ordered wine to come with our entrees, and nursed our wine for 40 minutes until our entrees arrived around 8:15. (We did not order the truffle chicken, which takes an hour.) Our waiter just kept trying to up-sell us ("More wine?") with no apologies or even charming comments re: the slow food. We left without even trying dessert & felt like even waiting for the bill would take forever. Wish I had read the reviews ahead of time--ate here a few years ago & had such a wonderful time. It may be worth it to visit the bar for a drink & to see the house, but I would definitely go elsewhere for dinner until they get a new chef or the previous one returns (see Nov. 6 review... wish I had!).
- meh..meowmeowDined on 11/14/2014Honestly, I was disappointed. I was given the heads up by two friends to check it out with my fiance. The drinks were fantastic. But of course, I could go somewhere specifically for drinks. The food was by far the biggest dissatisfaction. I had wanted fish the entire vacation because being by the sea, I thought it'd only make sense. I got the pasta and it wasnt something I enjoyed but I forced myself to eat. My fiance got the sirloin and not only was it tiny tiny tiny, he makes a much better steak. I would never spend 126 dollars here again. :/ the service was great and so was the ambiance and decor so if you only care about that and fancy drinks then you may find it more worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mbz1986Dined on 11/13/2014An exceptional dining experience. Atmosphere was refined and classy, but far from stuffy and pretentious. Tasteful decor and lighting everywhere. Service was perfect, our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and offered good suggestions. Food quality was superb, perfect presentation, amazing flavor. The high skill level of the chefs is clearly evident. Will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in Historic HouseKerryloves2travelDined on 11/8/20141833 is such a great space. Every room is different & unique. We had a table for 6 and requested the Gallatin room- a small room that only seats 6-7 with a fireplace & Boarshead over it. It was much quieter here & perfect spot to enjoy our meal for our friends birthday ( His 1st time there) Specialty Cocktails are a bit high priced ( as most places) and some come in a small 1950s like martini glass, but you can pretend you are Cary Grant! Appetizers were all delicious- bacon cheddar & onion biscuits so light! Shrimp w/ grits yummy. Bone marrow w/roasted garlic not for everyone but 4 of us loved it. Mahi w/ corn & clam chowder broth was so good as was flat iron steak & pork cheeks. New chef is coming in Dec. Hope he can keep great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodLangRoadDined on 11/7/2014A friend recommended this place. Every course of food was incredible. By far this was the best restaurant we went to in Monterey. Other friends went later and definitely recommended it as a Gastro Pub.The appetizer shrimp, complimentary miso broth, fish, out-of-this-world butternut ravioli and desserts were absolutely perfect in every way! A high step above our other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chef Quit1111VIPDined on 11/6/2014The Chef walked out the night we dined; took two hours to see our food. Nothing was cooked properly and the waiter was unhelpfulSpecial Features:
- my new favorite!love4foodDined on 11/6/2014The food was the best I have had I awhile. The variety was good. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diana & CompanylivetoeatDined on 11/1/2014We came for a fall girls night out, nice community seating, divided rooms and atmosphere blended with historical interest. Great food, interesting cocktails and fusion of food. Bacon cheddar biscuits, Dungeness crab, corn soup, shrimp and mahi mahi were all fresh and outstanding. Nice desserts, plentiful wine list, and we were not rushed at all. A great evening and something different for a group. THANKS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backSnowboundDined on 11/1/2014This place has something for everyone, I loved the Cheddar Bacon biscuits, and the Truffle Chicken was outstanding! I can't wait to come back to try some of the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but worth itGaryDined on 11/1/2014A special place for a special occasion. I can't afford to dine here often, but it is a great place. Prices are a little high, but the food, atmosphere and service is worth it! Service is top notch. The bone marrow appetizer is unique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTED!!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/1/2014Previously diners (4 times). Our res for Nov 1 for 2 was at 5:45 - they wanted to seat us in the cold, dark balcony overlooking the bar area. 3 staff up there talking, hostess wanted to seat us @first table, the 3 made no effort to move and they should have; we asked to move; should've insisted on a lovely room instead. Place not busy. Balcony area is terrible. Server careless, 2 mistakes, and continued to call us (married couple, mid-60's) "GUYS". Tacky. Another irritation: with both soup, desert, and coffee put placed, then server leaves to get utensils! Why make the diner/payer wait? Management not doing a good job of training staff. Place is lovely, excellent food but staff and bar crowd pull it down to sub-par.
- Poorly seated along a stairwellcmgarciamntrybayDined on 10/31/2014Reservations placed us in the poorest of seating areas possible. Two sofa chairs along the staircase facing walls. Too much traffic and dust to enjoy my dinner plate or my dining experience, in order to say it indeed was a pleasant one. We were there to try and experience certain foods we heard this restaurant offered. The waiter did however politely advise they had run out of these food items that night, instead of removing it from the menu. The upstairs seating room was poorly lit and the chairs were inappropriate for the table and space. I'd say the folks in the blue room had better accommodations and experience than we did. Probably won't be back ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningTed777VIPDined on 10/29/2014My friend and I enjoyed social hour on the patio outside; it was a gorgeous day. Then, we had a great table in the main dining room, where our server was Spencer. We shared an order of the bacon cheddar biscuits and an order of pork buns. We also shared an order of fluke carpaccio and a dish prepared by Chef Levi with tuna and cucumbers. My friend had the beet salad, and I had a dish with scallops and pork as well as an order of the chilled oysters. We shared a mushroom pizza for our main course. For dessert, we each had two scoops of vanilla ice cream and decaf coffee. We were please with every course, and the service was outstanding. It's like being in someone's home. Fabulous! (Also, the Giants won the World Series later that evening!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Experience2dinningtravellersDined on 10/28/2014A friend and I planned to enjoy a relaxing evening at 1833, unfortunately, the waiter was so relaxed and at home he preferred to chat or not be available rather than attend to our order. We wanted to order in courses through the evening, but the waiter would never return to take the next request or to ask how the food was so far. We ended up leaving hungry and very annoyed with the experience. We will not dine at 1833 but will go to the bar for a drink only.
- Great RestaurantWonderDinerDined on 10/26/2014Fabulous dining and ambiance. We celebrated a birthday and the service was both attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Loved everything about this restaurant except I wish the food had come out hot. All three diners had good food, but just barely warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing...TibFoodTipsVIPDined on 10/25/2014I was so looking forward to a lovely dinner in this charming historical house and while the ambience lived up to my expectations the food was a HUGE disappointment. The cheddar biscuits that are so prized, were barely heated and quite crunchy-- so while edible, far from anything amazing. Our entrees, Mahi- Mahi and Butternut Squash were lackluster. The side dish that accompanied the fish were lukewarm and undercooked so were left on the plate. Our waiter was a charming young man who gave us the entire history of the house-- fantastic! Sad to say, but I won't be returning or recommending the restaurant.
- Great discoveringLAR007VIPDined on 10/24/2014Was pleasantly surprised to find a swanky, cool restaurant in the heart of historic Monterey. Great food, cool scene and vibe. Vintage mixed with hip when it comes to the decore. Menu is comfort foods and small bites. I'd say you are better to have a few different small plates to share than entre. Will definitely go back to enjoy the patio and bar for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobbieDined on 10/24/2014Adequate but expensive for what we ate. Wine list in particular was very expensive. Starter of scallops and pork belly was well cooked and presented but not outstanding. We were suffering from a bit of jet lag so this might have coloured our view. Our server was outstanding, very relaxed and friendly but efficient and the restaurant was very atmospheric. Overall it just missed the mark for us as the final bill was as much as the previous night at Parallel 37 in San Francisco and the food did not compare in quality.Special Features:
- LikestoeatoutDined on 10/21/2014Too noisy. It was impossible to talk with others in our party in my normal voice. . Staff had to yell to be heard and of course every table overheard them. I would not go back until something is done about the noise level. It is too bad as the food was excellent.
- Spectacular!seakellDined on 10/19/2014Just go now, the food was amazing! The bone marrow was prepared with excellence. I tried the Rock Cod and Prime Sirloin, both were spectacular! 1833 was fantastic. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- DisappointedFrenchieDined on 10/18/2014Very disappointed in 1833. Went for an anniversary dinner, told them ahead of time and they still seated us along a banquette very close to other diners - no privacy whatsoever. It was also unnecessarily dark. I thought the menu was very limited (and not with foods I like); we ordered the rib eye for two, waited the stated 45 minutes - when it arrived we discovered it was about 1/3 inedible fat and didn't taste particularly good. Despite the $75 charged for that steak, it didn't even come with sides! The bacon cheese biscuits were good, though, and so was the mac and cheese. I wouldn't go back.
- 1833 is Awesome!chevalVIPDined on 10/18/2014My daughter and I dined at restaurant 1833 on Oct. 18,2014 and had the best dinner ever. We recommend their home made biscuits for a starter. The beet salad we shared for our second course it was flavorful and enough for two. For the entree course my daughter had the pork loin, that was fabulous, and I had the rock cod that was good, yet I felt it had a bit too much starch with corn and potatoes on the bottom. 1833 has a lovely ambiance with the seating in their restaurant, and bar. We did not have dessert, but went into the bar for another glass of wine. 1833 has a grand wine list! We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PraagPraagDined on 10/18/2014we really enjoyed dining in this historic location. The meal was delicious...our Server was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedTed777VIPDined on 10/16/2014My friend and I enjoyed Social Hour at the bar, where our server was Avi. Then, we had a great table in the main dining room, where our server was Spencer. The bacon cheddar biscuits, heirloom tomato salad, chilled oysters, and pork buns were amazing. My friend had the mahi-mahi entree, and I had a generous portion of lamb shank. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not be returningpalmspringsfoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Had a reservation for 8:15, got there a bit early and had a drink at the bar. It took 20 minutes to get a drink, and just as we got it our table was ready - so we had to do the awkward walk with drink to table. Waiter greeted us and asked for a drink order. 20 minutes later we got a wine and our order was taken. Trevin was a great waiter, but we had to wait another 35 minutes for appetizers! There was no bread served, so we were in the restaurant for over an hour before we got our food!!! It was incredibly loud and the large table next to us were complaining of the slow service too. The excuse was a large group "upstairs". After all that the pork was so so, even with the pear, the chef just didn't pull it off. The corn soup was great.
- THE Most Romantic Dinner ImaginableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This restaurant definitely surpassed all of my expectations and the employees were astounding. My girlfriend and I had one of the most memorable weekends of our relationship in October and this restaurant played a significant part in those memorable days. So thank you very much 1833 for creating a romantic environment and a relaxing atmosphere, and for providing one of the most delicious dinners I can remember of 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful menu and unusual flavors! Great choice!Special Features:
- 1833OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014This restaurant was in a nice old mansion with many different rooms. The bar area looked like a lot of fun. We ate upstairs overlooking the bar at a very private table. The drinks were tasty but very small for the price. I ordered the halibut and it was OK, but not worth $36. My husband ordered the bacon wrapped pork loin and it was much tastier. So, for over $100, we got 2 drinks and 2 entrees...too much for the value we got. It was very quiet when we arrived at 6:30 and almost completely full, inside and out, when we left at 8pm...go figure!!!Special Features:
- Whatis going on here?weebeastieDined on 10/9/2014We are huge 1833 fans. We took guests there, Thursday night, and were saddened by some changes. The service was very sketchy and the food not up to par. Quite disappointing as we have always loved taking out of towners there.Special Features:
- best everPerfectionDined on 10/8/2014This is one of the best places to eat anywhere, any time. I often dine alone and they treated me the same as the other guests. The food was perfect, the service perfect, and the atmosphere perfect.Special Features:
- Great find!Rhicsj1Dined on 10/6/2014Small dishes & appetizers are the highlights. Had the cod & parmasian crusted chicken that were just fair. Service was ok. They came around with some signature samples from the bar but after forgetting a sidedish and bringing not being attentive to the table, we can only say that the service was mediocre. Other than that, the space and ambiance are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New Gallatins 1833bosherdineDined on 10/5/2014We were Gallatinfa fans decades ago. The 1833 exlerince for ourr 55th was just as pleasing. Ribeye for 2 Was superb! Waiter Treven was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!!diazgirlzmomDined on 10/4/2014We had a birthday dinner for both my daughter and husband. The waiter was amazing! I loved that he told us a story about the history of the building.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!CaliforniabillDined on 9/28/2014We are locals. Unimpressed with past visits, we held our breaths! Wow, the prices are more reasonable and the menu offered more variety. Service was great and atmosphere always good. If you're looking for an upscale experience this is itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my husbands decade birthday at 1833. Forty four years ago we dined at Gallatin's on our honeymoon, so we were pleased to dine in Gallatin's Room. The food was excellent as was the ambience. The service was very personal. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014We loved the relaxed feel of this place – like comfortable dining rooms in a friends house, we sat at the attic. I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was very friendly and personal great .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014I found the menu a little disappointing. Think it changed from my last visit. Presentation was pretty but food tastes ( had pork and bacon entree) were a little too fussy. Still not serving bread. Disappointing. Good bread available locally if no pastry chef. Lighting too dark in our corner. Waiter tried to brighten up but the "atmo" police turned back down. Beautiful venue and a great location. Will go back and hope to find some menu changes.