500 Hartnell Avenue
Monterey, CA 93920Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurant1833.com/
- Phone: 8316431833x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Sun-Thur 6:00PM - 9:30PM Bar menu until 10:30PM
Fri & Sat 5:30pm - 10pm Bar Menu until 11:00pm
Social Hour: Mon-Fri 5:00PM-6:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abby Burk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant 1833 has several options for private dining and banquet parties. Please email us at email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Group Dining Team 831-643-1833x
- Entertainment: DJ on Saturday Nights
- Special Events: For group dining please email our group dining team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from 1833
1833 is located at the historic Stokes Adobe house. We have reinvented this landmark to offer modern, sophisticated yet casual American dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
1833 reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)special occasion (140)romantic (137)neighborhood gem (99)notable wine list (89)vibrant bar scene (79)good for groups (67)hot spot (62)great for outdoor dining (58)late-night find (30)scenic view (13)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Too noisy. It was impossible to talk with others in our party in my normal voice. . Staff had to yell to be heard and of course every table overheard them. I would not go back until something is done about the noise level. It is too bad as the food was excellent.
- Spectacular!seakellDined on 10/19/2014Just go now, the food was amazing! The bone marrow was prepared with excellence. I tried the Rock Cod and Prime Sirloin, both were spectacular! 1833 was fantastic. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- DisappointedFrenchieDined on 10/18/2014Very disappointed in 1833. Went for an anniversary dinner, told them ahead of time and they still seated us along a banquette very close to other diners - no privacy whatsoever. It was also unnecessarily dark. I thought the menu was very limited (and not with foods I like); we ordered the rib eye for two, waited the stated 45 minutes - when it arrived we discovered it was about 1/3 inedible fat and didn't taste particularly good. Despite the $75 charged for that steak, it didn't even come with sides! The bacon cheese biscuits were good, though, and so was the mac and cheese. I wouldn't go back.
- 1833 is Awesome!chevalVIPDined on 10/18/2014My daughter and I dined at restaurant 1833 on Oct. 18,2014 and had the best dinner ever. We recommend their home made biscuits for a starter. The beet salad we shared for our second course it was flavorful and enough for two. For the entree course my daughter had the pork loin, that was fabulous, and I had the rock cod that was good, yet I felt it had a bit too much starch with corn and potatoes on the bottom. 1833 has a lovely ambiance with the seating in their restaurant, and bar. We did not have dessert, but went into the bar for another glass of wine. 1833 has a grand wine list! We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PraagPraagDined on 10/18/2014we really enjoyed dining in this historic location. The meal was delicious...our Server was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedTed777VIPDined on 10/16/2014My friend and I enjoyed Social Hour at the bar, where our server was Avi. Then, we had a great table in the main dining room, where our server was Spencer. The bacon cheddar biscuits, heirloom tomato salad, chilled oysters, and pork buns were amazing. My friend had the mahi-mahi entree, and I had a generous portion of lamb shank. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not be returningpalmspringsfoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Had a reservation for 8:15, got there a bit early and had a drink at the bar. It took 20 minutes to get a drink, and just as we got it our table was ready - so we had to do the awkward walk with drink to table. Waiter greeted us and asked for a drink order. 20 minutes later we got a wine and our order was taken. Trevin was a great waiter, but we had to wait another 35 minutes for appetizers! There was no bread served, so we were in the restaurant for over an hour before we got our food!!! It was incredibly loud and the large table next to us were complaining of the slow service too. The excuse was a large group "upstairs". After all that the pork was so so, even with the pear, the chef just didn't pull it off. The corn soup was great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014Wonderful menu and unusual flavors! Great choice!Special Features:
- 1833OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014This restaurant was in a nice old mansion with many different rooms. The bar area looked like a lot of fun. We ate upstairs overlooking the bar at a very private table. The drinks were tasty but very small for the price. I ordered the halibut and it was OK, but not worth $36. My husband ordered the bacon wrapped pork loin and it was much tastier. So, for over $100, we got 2 drinks and 2 entrees...too much for the value we got. It was very quiet when we arrived at 6:30 and almost completely full, inside and out, when we left at 8pm...go figure!!!Special Features:
- Whatis going on here?weebeastieDined on 10/9/2014We are huge 1833 fans. We took guests there, Thursday night, and were saddened by some changes. The service was very sketchy and the food not up to par. Quite disappointing as we have always loved taking out of towners there.Special Features:
- best everPerfectionDined on 10/8/2014This is one of the best places to eat anywhere, any time. I often dine alone and they treated me the same as the other guests. The food was perfect, the service perfect, and the atmosphere perfect.Special Features:
- Great find!Rhicsj1Dined on 10/6/2014Small dishes & appetizers are the highlights. Had the cod & parmasian crusted chicken that were just fair. Service was ok. They came around with some signature samples from the bar but after forgetting a sidedish and bringing not being attentive to the table, we can only say that the service was mediocre. Other than that, the space and ambiance are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New Gallatins 1833bosherdineDined on 10/5/2014We were Gallatinfa fans decades ago. The 1833 exlerince for ourr 55th was just as pleasing. Ribeye for 2 Was superb! Waiter Treven was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!!diazgirlzmomDined on 10/4/2014We had a birthday dinner for both my daughter and husband. The waiter was amazing! I loved that he told us a story about the history of the building.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!CaliforniabillDined on 9/28/2014We are locals. Unimpressed with past visits, we held our breaths! Wow, the prices are more reasonable and the menu offered more variety. Service was great and atmosphere always good. If you're looking for an upscale experience this is itSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We celebrated my husbands decade birthday at 1833. Forty four years ago we dined at Gallatin's on our honeymoon, so we were pleased to dine in Gallatin's Room. The food was excellent as was the ambience. The service was very personal. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014We loved the relaxed feel of this place – like comfortable dining rooms in a friends house, we sat at the attic. I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was very friendly and personal great .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014I found the menu a little disappointing. Think it changed from my last visit. Presentation was pretty but food tastes ( had pork and bacon entree) were a little too fussy. Still not serving bread. Disappointing. Good bread available locally if no pastry chef. Lighting too dark in our corner. Waiter tried to brighten up but the "atmo" police turned back down. Beautiful venue and a great location. Will go back and hope to find some menu changes.
- Vacation mustOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We always make sure to stop here when visiting Monterey! Great ambiance and delicious food. The old home turned Resturant is so visually appealing you would have to try not to enjoy yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningJPharmDDined on 9/20/2014Food was spectacular! Cheesy-bacon biscuits with a chipotle sauce to start with? Then, bacon-wrapped pork medallions with a creamy polenta and broccolini? Then dessert was a pumpkin-infused beignet. Great restaurant with excellent views, ambience, service, and most importantly food. I will return here again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On our A List..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to 1833.. Great service, interesting menu. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great DinnerTed777VIPDined on 9/20/2014I enjoyed a sidecar prepared by Avi, bacon cheddar biscuits, chilled oysters, heirloom tomato salad, and Half Moon Bay salmon entree. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rib Eye for Two!Love2dineDined on 9/19/2014We are locals and this is one of our fav restaurants. Very cool bar, lounge areas inside and out, so plan some extra time to start there before moving on to dinner. My husband adores the boneless ribeye for two which comes sliced on a Hot plate. Super tender, perfectly medium rare and flavorful because the marbling is there. Also a must is the grilled cauliflower with heavenly reduction sauce. Fabulous even if you're not big on cauliflower. They just need to add a few items to the menu like warm bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 2nd time to 1833OneBadMaaammaJammaDined on 9/18/2014Everything was great, besides our newbie waiter. In all actuality, our food servers and bus boys were WAY better than our waiter. He did not know the menu, could not recommend a dish when asked and was plain nervous. I am not at all slamming his performance, but even when leaving - he was by the 2nd floor bar just "yapping" away and we had to say "goodbye and thanks". Overall, great food and great ambiance, but poor wait staff.Special Features:
- Hauntingly WonderfulLydiaVinaDined on 9/18/2014This was my second visit to Restaurant 1833. This place left such an impression on my the first time, I wanted to come back to celebrate my husband's birthday as I thought he'd love it. I was right! The ambiance is lovely, every course of food is absolutely delicious, the service is always top notch and the establishment itself provides such cool vibe with it's antique decor. PLUS - we learned this time around that it's rumored to be haunted. Not just by the locals who hang out at it's well stocked bar (which boasts a fabulous cocktail menu!). I highly recommend this place for romantic date night or just a fun night out with friends.Special Features:
- Historical and romanticDeliscious1VIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was amazing, presentation was simple but elegant. Unique combination of food but very delicious and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner date for 30-somethings30somethingsDined on 9/12/2014This place has a very cool ambiance. Everything from the chairs you sit in to the music to the various different rooms you can dine in all make it a night to remember. The server was personable and the food was great. The perfect end to the night was being able to walk outside the restaurant and have a final drink by one of the 3-4 fire pits they have out front (with drink service). I brought my girlfriend here for her 30th birthday and she was very impressed. Well done 1833.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1833 adds up to 5 Star ratingjudyVIPDined on 9/11/2014The whole dining experience was fantastic. Excellent food beautifully served. The staff is cheerful, helpful and kind. You have their attention from the minute you walk in. A truly memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable Tasting MenuMrsBDined on 9/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the chef's tasting here. Every dish was a flavor and texture adventure. Herbs and seasonings compliment fresh ingredients. It is well worth the $68 price. Service was appropriately attentive and friendly. The restaurant is justifiably popular, and hence noisy - my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best opentable findDuran408Dined on 9/7/2014I booked this place for my girlfriend's birthday. We ordered pork belly buns for appetizer which were very tender and tasty. For the main course we had truffle chicken, puréed potatoes and cauliflower. The truffle chicken is worth the wait!!! I highly recommend it. The desserts were great and we already planned out next trip to 1833!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- artieDined on 9/6/2014This was my second time having dinner at 1833. It's fabulous.Special Features:
- Great all around!ChefMissyDined on 9/6/2014This place always gets it right! Delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service very goodJohnDined on 9/5/2014It was early so restaurant was not full. The food was excellent, service very good. My wife ordered a Dubonnet which most restaurants don't have. The bartender did some research and came up with an aperitif that was similar. That is outstanding service.Special Features:
- A bit of a problemRRRRDined on 9/5/2014Food was excellent, and servers professional and polite, but seating situations are quite variable, from dark, claustrophobic corners to bright, elegant rooms. We had to switch 4 times before we were given a nice place to dine in a fairly empty restaurant.Special Features:
- Need to get their act togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014Big disappointment. Service was awful. Took forever to get the food out. When it finally arrived, two of the three dishes were so salty, one was sent back. Menu is very interesting, but the whole concept seemed to be beyond talents of the crew on hand that night.Special Features:
- The Best!RomadinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014There was two in our party and we had the Sea Bass and Ling Cod fish dishes. Both dishes were outstanding, not something you could prepare at home. I highly recommend both dishes, I can't say enough, they were the best! We started by sharing a Tomato Salad, a very good choice. Be sure to have a drink at the beautiful bar before or after your meal. They have a large expensive wine list. Request a booth when making your reservations otherwise you will share a table along the wall with several friends. I do not like this set up in any restaurant , especially disappointing for a restaurant of this caliber. We will go back again because the food was soooo good.Special Features:
- Disappointmentcapo11Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant has declined noticeably in the last few years. My wife and I used to go for special occasions, and this night was one. Regardless, we were seated next to a loud and obnoxious table that the sommelier egged on the whole night. Our server forgot our water order, then when I asked for the cocktail menu back, he dropped it off and left and didn't come back for half an hour. The most amazing part was when took our desert order, he came back 5 minutes later with our check - and no dessert. I've never felt more ignored and disposed of. Perhaps ok for a nice dinner out with no expectations, but I would strongly advise against 1833 for any special occasion where you expect to be treated with a level of attention and respect.Special Features:
- THE best restaurant in Monterey!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014My friends and I chose 1833 for a birthday celebration and we were blown away! We started the night with delicious custom cocktails in the bar. After adjourning to the "Governor's Room" (request it!) we experienced some of the best food and service I've ever had at a restaurant. Our server was excellent, the sommelier was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable and they both made our night a lot of fun! Most importantly, the food was Michelin-worthy. If you love relaxed fine dining, go to 1833 and make sure to allow 3+ hours for the full experience.Special Features:
- Everything we had was amazingTattaaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Sunday is fried chicken day! A must have, best I've ever tasted. The bacon muffins, Heirloom tomatoes, and Shrimp and grits appetizers are so delicious!Special Features:
- Dinner at 1833Momof3VIPDined on 8/31/2014We had the pleasure of dining at Restaurant 1833 on Sunday night to celebrate an anniversary and birthday. As always, everything was perfect. The staff was very attentive and the food was cooked to perfection. We both had the Sunday night chicken dinner and it did not disappoint us in any way. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.