500 Hartnell Avenue
Monterey, CA 93920Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurant1833.com/
- Phone: 8316431833x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner:Sun-Thur 6:00PM - 9:30PM Bar menu until 10:30PM
Fri & Sat 5:30pm - 10pm Bar Menu until 11:00pm
Social Hour: Mon-Fri 5:00PM-6:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Abby Burk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant 1833 has several options for private dining and banquet parties. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Group Dining Team 831-643-1833x
- Entertainment: DJ on Saturday Nights
- Special Events: For group dining please email our group dining team at: email@example.com
A word from 1833
1833 is located at the historic Stokes Adobe house. We have reinvented this landmark to offer modern, sophisticated yet casual American dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
1833 reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (145)fit for foodies (139)romantic (132)neighborhood gem (96)notable wine list (92)vibrant bar scene (82)good for groups (60)great for outdoor dining (58)hot spot (57)late-night find (27)scenic view (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Vacation mustOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We always make sure to stop here when visiting Monterey! Great ambiance and delicious food. The old home turned Resturant is so visually appealing you would have to try not to enjoy yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Food was spectacular! Cheesy-bacon biscuits with a chipotle sauce to start with? Then, bacon-wrapped pork medallions with a creamy polenta and broccolini? Then dessert was a pumpkin-infused beignet. Great restaurant with excellent views, ambience, service, and most importantly food. I will return here again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On our A List..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to 1833.. Great service, interesting menu. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great DinnerTed777VIPDined on 9/20/2014I enjoyed a sidecar prepared by Avi, bacon cheddar biscuits, chilled oysters, heirloom tomato salad, and Half Moon Bay salmon entree. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rib Eye for Two!Love2dineDined on 9/19/2014We are locals and this is one of our fav restaurants. Very cool bar, lounge areas inside and out, so plan some extra time to start there before moving on to dinner. My husband adores the boneless ribeye for two which comes sliced on a Hot plate. Super tender, perfectly medium rare and flavorful because the marbling is there. Also a must is the grilled cauliflower with heavenly reduction sauce. Fabulous even if you're not big on cauliflower. They just need to add a few items to the menu like warm bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 2nd time to 1833OneBadMaaammaJammaDined on 9/18/2014Everything was great, besides our newbie waiter. In all actuality, our food servers and bus boys were WAY better than our waiter. He did not know the menu, could not recommend a dish when asked and was plain nervous. I am not at all slamming his performance, but even when leaving - he was by the 2nd floor bar just "yapping" away and we had to say "goodbye and thanks". Overall, great food and great ambiance, but poor wait staff.Special Features:
- Historical and romanticDeliscious1VIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was amazing, presentation was simple but elegant. Unique combination of food but very delicious and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner date for 30-somethings30somethingsDined on 9/12/2014This place has a very cool ambiance. Everything from the chairs you sit in to the music to the various different rooms you can dine in all make it a night to remember. The server was personable and the food was great. The perfect end to the night was being able to walk outside the restaurant and have a final drink by one of the 3-4 fire pits they have out front (with drink service). I brought my girlfriend here for her 30th birthday and she was very impressed. Well done 1833.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1833 adds up to 5 Star ratingjudyVIPDined on 9/11/2014The whole dining experience was fantastic. Excellent food beautifully served. The staff is cheerful, helpful and kind. You have their attention from the minute you walk in. A truly memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable Tasting MenuMrsBDined on 9/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the chef's tasting here. Every dish was a flavor and texture adventure. Herbs and seasonings compliment fresh ingredients. It is well worth the $68 price. Service was appropriately attentive and friendly. The restaurant is justifiably popular, and hence noisy - my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best opentable findDuran408Dined on 9/7/2014I booked this place for my girlfriend's birthday. We ordered pork belly buns for appetizer which were very tender and tasty. For the main course we had truffle chicken, puréed potatoes and cauliflower. The truffle chicken is worth the wait!!! I highly recommend it. The desserts were great and we already planned out next trip to 1833!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- artieDined on 9/6/2014This was my second time having dinner at 1833. It's fabulous.Special Features:
- Great all around!ChefMissyDined on 9/6/2014This place always gets it right! Delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service very goodJohnDined on 9/5/2014It was early so restaurant was not full. The food was excellent, service very good. My wife ordered a Dubonnet which most restaurants don't have. The bartender did some research and came up with an aperitif that was similar. That is outstanding service.Special Features:
- A bit of a problemRRRRDined on 9/5/2014Food was excellent, and servers professional and polite, but seating situations are quite variable, from dark, claustrophobic corners to bright, elegant rooms. We had to switch 4 times before we were given a nice place to dine in a fairly empty restaurant.Special Features:
- Need to get their act togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014Big disappointment. Service was awful. Took forever to get the food out. When it finally arrived, two of the three dishes were so salty, one was sent back. Menu is very interesting, but the whole concept seemed to be beyond talents of the crew on hand that night.Special Features:
- The Best!RomadinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014There was two in our party and we had the Sea Bass and Ling Cod fish dishes. Both dishes were outstanding, not something you could prepare at home. I highly recommend both dishes, I can't say enough, they were the best! We started by sharing a Tomato Salad, a very good choice. Be sure to have a drink at the beautiful bar before or after your meal. They have a large expensive wine list. Request a booth when making your reservations otherwise you will share a table along the wall with several friends. I do not like this set up in any restaurant , especially disappointing for a restaurant of this caliber. We will go back again because the food was soooo good.Special Features:
- Disappointmentcapo11Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant has declined noticeably in the last few years. My wife and I used to go for special occasions, and this night was one. Regardless, we were seated next to a loud and obnoxious table that the sommelier egged on the whole night. Our server forgot our water order, then when I asked for the cocktail menu back, he dropped it off and left and didn't come back for half an hour. The most amazing part was when took our desert order, he came back 5 minutes later with our check - and no dessert. I've never felt more ignored and disposed of. Perhaps ok for a nice dinner out with no expectations, but I would strongly advise against 1833 for any special occasion where you expect to be treated with a level of attention and respect.Special Features:
- THE best restaurant in Monterey!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014My friends and I chose 1833 for a birthday celebration and we were blown away! We started the night with delicious custom cocktails in the bar. After adjourning to the "Governor's Room" (request it!) we experienced some of the best food and service I've ever had at a restaurant. Our server was excellent, the sommelier was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable and they both made our night a lot of fun! Most importantly, the food was Michelin-worthy. If you love relaxed fine dining, go to 1833 and make sure to allow 3+ hours for the full experience.Special Features:
- Everything we had was amazingTattaaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Sunday is fried chicken day! A must have, best I've ever tasted. The bacon muffins, Heirloom tomatoes, and Shrimp and grits appetizers are so delicious!Special Features:
- Dinner at 1833Momof3VIPDined on 8/31/2014We had the pleasure of dining at Restaurant 1833 on Sunday night to celebrate an anniversary and birthday. As always, everything was perfect. The staff was very attentive and the food was cooked to perfection. We both had the Sunday night chicken dinner and it did not disappoint us in any way. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1833 Brilliant!NoNicknameDined on 8/30/2014We have eaten there ~4 times in as many years and always left happy!Special Features:
- Definately a must in MontereyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014One thing that can be a bit difficult in Monterey is to find somewhere that isn't a tourist trap. If you want a unique, trendy experience this definitely is a must. Love the decor and the ambiance of the house. Food was really good, server was a bit slow but all in all I would definitely go back. Even if it is just to get a drink and sit outside by the firepits and relax in a nice quiet neighborhood away from all the tourist traps of Cannery Row.Special Features:
- Well Worth The PricePoetiqDined on 8/27/2014Booked a table for my wife and I for our anniversary. The food, drinks and service were outstanding. I ordered the rockfish entrée as well as their biscuits as an appetizer. My wife ordered the sides of veggies and a tomato salad. We cannot say enough how great this was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 of the top dinners of a lifetime.Foodaddictfor2Dined on 8/25/2014This restaurant should be #1 in Monterey. It's amazing; from the cocktails to the main course (didn't have room for dessert) it is truly unbelievable. We (spouse and I) got the house marinated olives with some house cocktails (mixologist), seasonal salad, Bernardus cab (wine list is ridiculous yet accommodating) and shared the truffle chicken with Mac&cheese cheese (not a typo). My spouse scolex the waiter for not telling him this was going to be the best meal if his life, lol. If you do get the chicken order it first as it takes an hour to cook, well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AmbianceOuttoLunchDined on 8/25/2014We were seated in the Gallatin Room, a single table seating 5 guests. Lovely and special. Food was outstanding, especially the avocado appetizer, the salmon, skirt steak and array of dessert tastes that we were treated to presented out of a dry ice misting doctors bag, a nod to Faux Dr. Stokes, the second owner of this historical adobe structure.Special Features:
- DeeDeeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Warm and relaxing atmosphere in an historic adobe building on the edge of downtown Monterey. Inventive dishes, friendly service, overall excellent dining experienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific place.BobMcDined on 8/23/2014Went for our 25th anniversary. Beautiful restaurant in old adobe residence- lighting, furniture, everything very pleasing. Food was flawless and actually reasonably priced for the quality - heirloom tomato salad a surprise with added peach, wild mushroom/prosciutto pizza incredible, and everyone will write about the biscuits. The service was spectacular too, from the obvious training given our server and staff to how they lay out and replace silverware. No criticisms. Totally enjoyable.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningWino1Dined on 8/22/2014Great service, amazing food, romantic ambiance. Took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it! Definitely will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Monterey DinnerrugbygirlDined on 8/22/2014Five of us enjoyed a delicious dinner at 1833 on Friday, August 22nd. The service was impeccable and the ambiance lively, but not noisy. The food was divine. We started with the bacon cheddar biscuits with a yummy butter ~ we could have ordered them again for dessert. We also had the shrimp starter with corn and sausage. Those were my two favorites of the evening until the caramel pot de creme for dessert. The specialty cocktails were all unique and delicious. The main plates were very fresh fish presented beautifully. It was a perfect evening in a beautiful historic building.Special Features:
- Amazing!!FoodpoliceDined on 8/21/2014Wow! An all around fantastic dining experience. We had an amazing table right upstairs from the gorgeous bar. Plan to spend some time at the bar prior to your dinner. We've been here 4 times, and choose this spot each time we're in the area. Have yet to be disappointed.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what more do you want?SteinyDined on 8/21/2014If you are looking for a restaurant and it's a special occasion look no further. Maybe a restaurant to impress a foodie, or just a small bite. No question, you won't go wrong here. Restaurant 1833 fits the bill. You feel as though you are dining at your favorite aunt and uncle's house; that happen to be wealthy. You're at home, relaxing and attended to by the house staff. The food is beyond any expectation; unique and amazing. Everything is farm to table fresh. The chef and staff take simple and elevate it to levels beyond. Deviled eggs, bone marrow and soft poached hen egg are delicacies served here. We ordered quite a bit of food and every dish was one we would order again. Mixologists rule here and the servers compliment your experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding KitchenForkedTongueVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food was truly outstanding, everything was executed perfectly, the presentations creative but not overly fussy so the food had a chance to shine. Unfortunately, service was sometimes inattentive.Special Features:
- Delicious food & great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014Location was convenient and the dining room was beautiful with a nice view of the grounds. The bar featured some very nice cocktails and wines, try the Penicillin #2! The food was fabulous and the service was excellent, we'll definitely return to 1833 for dinner next time we're in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great restaurantSylviVIPDined on 8/18/2014We have been going to 1833 for a long time. Everything has always been perfect. This time , however , the service seemed to be slipping. The food and ambience still excellent. Maybe they had an off night. I still recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming adobe houseSilverOakBobDined on 8/17/2014Gourmet dishes excellently prepared, not overcooked. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Loved it! Took my girlfriend here for our anniversary and had the perfect evening. Miranda was our server and she was top notch; her attention to detail and charisma were enjoyable. I was shocked to find that she recently just started serving. Would go back again and would be happy to have her as our server.Special Features:
- Great experience!roxxxyyyyDined on 8/16/2014Only issue at first was service was a little slow but other than that the entire experience was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our fav'sLove2dineDined on 8/15/2014This is normally one of our favorite Monterey Penninsula restaurants, elegant, hip, and amazing food. On a Saturday night of Concourse D'Elegance week they were inundated. It was so noisy it was hard to talk and our orders of the ribeye for two were barely warm and the hot plate they come on was cold. The side dishes also came out late after the entre's. Very disappointing. However, wait staff was great and apologetic, even taking the side dishes off our bill (we didn't ask for this). All in all I forgive them and we will return, but I hope they can do better with a crowded night in the future.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicejustforthehalibutDined on 8/14/2014We had a lovely dinner at 1833--We were actually surprised at how wonderful the food and service was because when we walked in we got the impression it was a "hot" spot and, often, food at "hot spots" doesn't live up to its reviews. But 1833 is both lively/sought-after AND it offers exceptionally fine dining with first-rate service. Thank you, 1833 for a fabulous meal during oh-so-busy Concours week, and for the extra attention for my husband's birthday. We'll be back!Special Features: