66 Columbus Street
Culinary Institute of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tridenttech.edu/culinary_institute_of_charleston_16608.htm
- Phone: 8438205087
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Tuesday & Thursday: 12:00pm - 12:45pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Scott Stefanelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
A word from 181 Palmer
181 Palmer is the Culinary Institute of Charleston’s dining room on its downtown campus. The facility’s design, highlighted by bold lines and bright colors, garnered LS3P Associates an Honor Award, the American Institute of Architect’s highest. Inside 181 Palmer’s sparkling glass walls, tables are… dressed in crisp linens and Stolzle stemware, state-of-the-art technology streams in action from the kitchen, and skilled CIC students produce and serve a seasonal prix fixe menu for a value that Southern Living magazine labeled “How to Save Money on Fine Cuisine.” (Please note: Because both the dining rooms and the student-run kitchens of 181 Palmer and our sister restaurant The Relish Restaurant Group® Restaurant are classrooms, the days and hours of operation are determined by the college’s calendar.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
181 Palmer reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)Show More
- wonderfulluv2dinDined on 9/30/2014My guests could not stop talking about what a wonderful experience they had. The ladies thoroughly enjoyed the whole meal, service, staff was professional and gave personal attention. This was my third visit, I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!Jacksjoyce1Dined on 9/25/2014There were four of us women traveling from Nashville to experience Charleston. We had a wonderful lunch complete with personal service here. We even got to meet the chef. Great experience ! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I take foodie friends here.FoodwriterDined on 9/18/2014181 Palmer works great for me when I want to take a foodie friend to lunch. The food is really good and, at $15 for 3 courses, the price is right. It's not one of those loud places where you can't hold a conversation, which is what you want when you take a friend to lunch. They are always amazed that students cook and serve the food. Also, there is free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Best kept secret for outstanding food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Quite a dealFoodwriterDined on 9/11/2014I has a lovely salad, a large dish of shrimp and grits, and a dessert of a sweet biscuit with strawberries and custard - for $15, including tax. Quite a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 169 reviews are from the 181 Palmer reviews archive.
- Never DisappointsFrederickTheGreatDined on 4/15/2014I dine at 181 Palmer at least once ever semester. It is always a special treat. Nothing ever disappoints...the service is great and leisurely even though the staff is finishing up a class and want to get out of there on time. And I will sum up the food in one word: FLAVOR, FLAVOR, FLAVOR that was three words but the fare is oh so good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014My quest from out of town loved the entire experience. Another lovely luncheon. Thank you.Special Features:
- AuntieBabsDined on 4/14/2014You can always rely on 181 Palmer for a wonderful lunch experience at a great price. The dishes are updated versions of old favorites, beautifully presented, and delicious!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!chrisDined on 4/3/2014Excellent food and service! We really enjoyed our lunch and hope to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A secret delightSharonDined on 4/1/2014Not many people seem to know about an excellent spot for lunch in an uncommercial location near Charleston. Trident Tech's Columbus St. campus houses the Culinary Institute of Charleston, a cooking school. At this time, for $15 they serve an excellent 3-course lunch. The service is impeccable, (fine dining quality without the usual snootiness) and the atmosphere is anything but a campus cafeteria. Open Monday through Thursday by reservation (820-5087) during the semester.Special Features:
- Bargain at twice the priceTheSeabrookerDined on 3/27/2014Restaurant connected with the Trident Culinary School. Prix fixe with 5 appetizer choices, 5 entrees and 5 desserts for $15!Special Features:
- I had eaten at the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2014I had eaten at the restaurant two days in a row. The staff commented on seeing me the day before. This was embrassing In front of the current table. However, it is always a pleasure to eat at your restaurant!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love going to the 131 PALMERCurtDined on 3/24/2014We love going to the 131 PALMER House for lunch! They have something special on the menu each time that we are there. The food and service is outstanding. It is better than going to a 4 Star Restaurant.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden DelightSuzyQDined on 2/25/2014Not much publicity, a little hard to find, but well worth the effort. The food was exceptional, the atmosphere friendly, and for once, we got to enjoy our food and discuss it without shouting. SO nice to find a quiet restaurant. We would have come back the next day and the next, but they were all booked up. Advice: make reservations in advance.Special Features:
- Disappointing the 2nd time aroundHeatherDined on 2/20/20141. Our waitress didn't show up until the people who came in after us were getting their beverages. 2 Kelly spilled iced tea as she was pouring it, apologized, and proceeded to spill it two more times during refills until I had a puddle the size of a bread plate on the table cloth where my glass sat. 3. My appetizer, empanadas, was lackluster. My entrée, lamb was tender and tasty but the puddle of eggplant under it was muddy and non descript. Dessert, a tart, was delicious and beautifully plated although the espresso I requested be brought with it did not arrive until I was finished with my meal. I have enjoyed this restaurant in the past but feel on this occasion the chef and waitress didn't have their hearts or heads in the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time for business lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2014First time for business lunch. Great value!!! Great taste!!!Special Features:
- hidden gemchrisDined on 2/17/2014Amazing lunch that is truly a well kept secret. Hidden jewel in Charleston! What a treat for a special gourmet lunch prepared by well supervised students. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best buttermilk tart ever!FoodwriterDined on 2/5/2014I had a great lunch at 181 Palmer, including the best buttermilk tart ever. It was accompanied by Meyer lemon jam and fresh strawberries. Backing up - my first course was a lovely lump crab and asparagus salad. I had the fish of the day, which was local swordfish with butternut squash puree and sauteed baby kale. A cappuccino to finish. All for $15.00 Super deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dining in Charleston SCFrederickTheGreatDined on 11/11/2013In the lovely dining/classroom setting of the restaurant at the Charleston Culinary Institute, you will have a fine gourmet dining experience. Meals are prepared and served by students learning the trade and the overall results are first rate. Sure there is an occasional mix up or the server mispronounces an ingredient, but that is part of their learning experience and I've had worse occurrences at established restaurants. One chooses between four appetizers, four entree and four dessert choices and the menus can be viewed beforehand on line. I have never been disappointed. For my money it is the best deal in Charleston. Lunch only. Reservations are necessary. No alcohol is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy meeting friendsjoyatiopDined on 11/4/2013Always enjoy meeting friends at this special dining room. Love watching the students at work on the video screen Food excellent and beautifully served.Special Features:
- Students always pleaseDedeDined on 10/29/2013It is a treat to dine with the Culinary School Students. Best value in town.Special Features:
- delicious new flavorsDTresDined on 10/7/2013Our experience at 181 Palmer, our first, certainly lived up to expectations. The variety of flavors was exciting, the server was kind and the ambiance was relaxing. Thank you to the culinary students for a fun lunch experience. I'm already thinking about what to order next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dining experience at 181LunchpalsDined on 9/30/2013Our dining experience at 181 Palmer was wonderful. The food was delicious and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My guests really had a good time.FoodwriterDined on 9/24/2013I took very food knowledgable guests from Asheville to lunch at 181 Palmer. They were quite impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 30 ReviewFathersDayBrunchDined on 7/30/2013From the welcoming by Lisa, to the wonderful service by Lindsey, our dining experience was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed another fine lunch181PalmerFan2Dined on 7/23/2013Enjoyed another fine lunch at your facility. Wanted to give particular kudos to the chef for preparing the Crispy Confit of Heritage Pork. I love pork normally, but this was one pork dish that literally blew my mind (and tastebuds) in regards to richness, simple preparation and nice selection of companion side dishes. Thank you for yet another wonderful dining experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding luncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2013Our meal at 181 Palmer was absolutely outstanding. The Quail main course was the best Quail dish I have ever eaten. The extra chocolate treats at the end were amazing. Thank you all for a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought our server was outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2013I thought our server was outstanding. She was friendly and professional. The food was excellent. From the first course to the desert. A perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2013Nice selections to choose from for each of the three entrees. Server was knowledgeable on ingredients of each dish when questions were asked. Each dish was beautifully presented and photo worthy. Pleasant dining experience where our party could converse and had the option of viewing the food preparation in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am always amazed at theFoodwriterDined on 4/10/2013I am always amazed at the quality of the food and service in this culinary student-operated restaurant. And it is quite a value at $15. for three courses.Special Features:
- Ashley River Plantation GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2013We recently brought our residents from an assisted living community to eat at your lovely restaurant. This was our second time there and both times went perfectly. Lunch outings can sometimes be challenging but the staff/students were very accomadating and welcomed our large group with smiles and friendly service. The food was amazing and our residents ate very well which isn't always the case. Your budget friendly restaurant also offers our residents the opportunity to participate in a fine dining experience that may not otherwise be affordable. Thank you for making this occasion wonderful for our residents and stress free for myself and my Activities Director.Special Features:
- Awesome experience. The studentsDedeDined on 4/2/2013Awesome experience. The students do an amazing job.Special Features:
- Above Average!MacacoDined on 3/27/2013181 Palmer is the restaurant at Trident Tech's Culinary Institute downtown. The food and service are provided by the students pursuing a career in the culinary arts. We were pleased with the menu choices and the food was nicely prepared. Opted not to have any wine for lunch although it was available. The cappucino was ok, it needed to be a bit stronger. But the fish of the day was this delicious grouper, and a surprisingly nice portion for lunch. The student who waited on our table was very accomodating and did her best to answer our questions. Overall, it's a great place to have an above average lunch at a reasonable price ($15 per person) with good service to boot.Special Features:
- Fabulous food; beautiful presentatiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013Fabulous food; beautiful presentation. Always a pleasure to dine at 181 Palmer.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual. From appsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2013Excellent as usual. From apps to entrees to dessert. Always unique ingredients, beautifully plated. The charcuterie plate is one of the best.Special Features:
- Delightful experience. Jackie,HappywifeDined on 2/21/2013Delightful experience. Jackie, our server, was a delight! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- A pleasure to dine once again!DukeDined on 2/21/2013A pleasure to dine once again! Flavours, variety, presentation, atmosphere all above expectations!Special Features:
- Try It!patpVIPDined on 2/21/2013This was a really fun experience. There is a large screen showing the students working in the kitchen and the people in the dining room are friendly and accommodating. A great opportunity to see the formation of future chefs and hospitality workers. The food was very well prepared and interesting. Best quality/value in Charleston!!Special Features:
- Will Not Disappoint!NYCFoodyVIPDined on 2/21/2013This is the Culinary Institute of Charleston's cooking school. I would rate the whole experience a 10+. You definitely have to try it. The food was fabulous and the waitstaff was wonderful!Special Features:
- Love being there. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2013Love being there. The food is excellent and the service is excellent. Keep up the good work!!!!!Special Features: