Raleigh, NC 27604Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.18seaboard.com/
- Phone: 9198614318
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 18 Seaboard
Chef-Proprietor Jason Smith welcomes you with sensibly, inventive American Cuisine with a focus on North Carolina ingredients. From the downtown views of our open-air mezzanine to the warm hospitality of the staff, 18 Seaboard is the place for a casual weeknight dinner or that special occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
18 Seaboard - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
18 Seaboard reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (140)fit for foodies (134)romantic (96)neighborhood gem (78)good for groups (78)notable wine list (68)great for lunch (39)great for outdoor dining (26)hot spot (22)scenic view (21)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014Very pleasant restaurant with really good food. We appreciated the small extras -- a pre-appetizer spoon-sized salad and a shared dessert and cookies. My striped bass was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at 18 seaboard. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. Just the right noise level. Our server was attentive and knowledgable. The she crab soup was the best I've ever had. My husband had the rib eye which was tender and cooked to perfection. I had the sheepshead with a champaign butter sauce, grits and sautéed spinach. All mouthwatering. For dessert we had bourbon ice cream and a light pumpkin cheese cake creation. Topped the evening off with a midnight martini. We will definitely return and bring friends next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining for CelebrationsTigerPawsDined on 10/16/2014It is the favorite restaurant for our family and my co-workers for birthdays, Boss' Day, anniversaries, etc. The food is wonderful and the service is great. The meatloaf is the best in the world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skrinking portionsDaveInRaleighDined on 10/13/2014I have come here often over the past 6 years. The service is very good, but it seems the portions of Salmon on the salad are shrinking. I prefer more substance and less rabbit food. Otherwise a good bet for lunch.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedEatAtJoesDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant is nice. It's trendy. The outdoor seating is now, but the view is disappointing. Parking lot, tennis courts and a couple big trees are what you can see. Downtown Raleigh is there too, but again underwhelming. The food is interesting, but unfortunately the main spice is salt and it seems to be on everything. And too much.
- Really enjoyed 18 SeaboardThomas2246Dined on 10/9/2014We went for my wife's birthday. It was our first visit and we weren't disappointed. We both really enjoyed it, but all that mattered to me was that she liked it. Our meal was wonderful and the service even better. We'll go back on our next visit to Raleigh. If you choose to dine here you should not be disappointed in the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coulda woulda shoulda...JHG8VIPDined on 10/5/2014Reviews drew us here. Ambiance was loud rock music which they changed after our request for something different. Service was good, if perhaps too friendly. As we were there at 5 pm, we were the only diners, which was nice. Bread finally arrived after the meal was served - Sunday evening stale. Forgot to deliver my soup. My swordfish was delicious but my wife's pork was tough, nearly inedible. To their credit, the manager asked if he could replace it; when we said no thanks, he sent over a free desert. Nice effort.
- Consistently exceeds expectationsFoodieDined on 10/3/2014Everything about 18 Seaboard is amazing. From the excellent food to superior service to personalized desserts! We will be back and recommend it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary RestaurantmitchellerwinroofDined on 10/1/2014This was the second year in a row we celebrated our wedding anniversary at 18 Seaboard. I'm sure that if we still live here next year we will celebrate at 18 Seaboard again.Special Features:
- WSonderful as usualLisaDined on 9/30/2014We've been to 18 Seaboard many times and they never fail us. The food is always excellent and we enjoy the atmosphere there. You can talk with your companions and be heard! That's not always the case with some restaurants. Would highly recommend them.Special Features:
- 40th Wedding AnniversaryquiettimeDined on 9/28/2014Our Sunday evening meal was very good. The she-crab soup was wonderful. My fillet was moist and tender. My wife's salmon was very tasty. The restaurant was not very busy and that made for a quiet time to talk and reminisce. We've been to the restaurant a number of times, and the food and service has been excellent every time. Thanks for a good evening to spend with my bride.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food was very good, great flavors, unique combinations. The speciality mixed drinks on the menu were awful, no flavor at all. Sangria and mojita. Servers need to be trained, a lot of bad habits. Putting food down on stacked menus, no extra plates for appetizers etc.Special Features:
- StranclandinersDined on 9/26/2014Waiter attentive. Food fresh and absolutely delicious. Loved the sample appetizers. The gluten free chocolate cake was very moist, would not have thought to include beans but turned out to be an excellent ingredient. Will be going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timefox20racerDined on 9/26/2014The food was amazing, and there is plenty of seating. I like how the bar area is not right next to the dining area. Overall great experience, I will be back.Special Features:
- GrampyDined on 9/26/2014Good food, great service a nice local beer at a reasonable price. Whats not to like?Special Features:
- Special!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014we chose 18 Seaboard for our anniversary and we were treated with honors! the service and attention we received from the owner right down to the entire staff was delightful! Though we were there on a Thursday night it was a nice personal evening in a wonderfully romantic scene. the food was excellent and is supported by a lot of local suppliers. 18 Seaboard is a special place indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014We enjoyed our visit. I have been before and the food has been better. She crab soup was just OK. Shrimp pasta was good, but not great. Other diners who ordered flounder thought it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary ExperienceKmt44Dined on 9/23/201418 Seaboard was one of the best restaurants my fiancé and I have ever been to! Everything is local and each course just kept getting better! We had two of the signature cocktails, the crispy oysters as an appetizer, the pork loin and lion fish as main courses (my side dish of Gouda mashed potatoes were the best potatoes I've EVER had!) and the carrot cake with cream cheese ice cream as dessert. Since it was our anniversary they also brought a complimentary apple strudel with "happy anniversary" written on the plate in chocolate. It was an amazing experience all in all! I would recommend it to everyone! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchDaveInRaleighDined on 9/23/2014Food is good and service attentive, sometimes overly so, but better than being ignored. Proximity of tables and openness of dining room can be cause for a noisy environment when it's busy. I noticed the portions of some items has shrunk over time. However, generally good value for the price. One of my favorites however, for a business lunch, which is why it's one of my first picks, and unlike other downtown restaurants, the parking is easy and free.Special Features:
- Another great experience!RaiderManVIPDined on 9/21/2014Every time that we go to 18 Seaboard we feel so special! The staff is incredible and the food is delicious. I am so looking forward to the next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enoyable nightCer1Dined on 9/21/201418 Seaboard has become one of our favorite places to go eat and enjoy a pleasant night, in a comfortable place, with great food and a staff that treats you better than family. I always enjoy seeing what is new on the menu and the pork & shrimp special did not disappointment me. The rub on the pork, cooked to perfection, and the grits with accompanying sauce created a tasty meal. The tomato starter is always good. To top it off, we had the waffle with ice cream. The deserts are one of the reasons we like this place some much. The server and staff are friendly, willing to talk, know the menu well, but do not intrude into our evening. Thanks for such a good place in Wake county.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasic Dining ExperienceJimboDined on 9/20/2014This a great place to eat. Nice wine list, fantastic food, excellent service all with a wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Simply DeliciousEatingwellinCharlotteDined on 9/19/2014We treated our college son to a delightful dinner at 18 Seaboard. The Charcuterie plate was simple and fresh; the foie gras delectable. I like the concept of ordering an entree and choosing once of the six sauces available. My swordfish was cooked as well as I've ever experienced it...more than an inch thick and like velvet on the inside. My husband's cracklin' pork shank made him wish I could make it at home (I'll try!). Sides included plenty of starches, as well as lightly sautéed spinach, and a bowl of squash for those who prefer something lighter. Excellent service, romantic interior. I recommend it!Special Features:
- veganvueDined on 9/19/2014Excellent food and service. Will happily return. Our meals were excellent, the wait staff cooperative and available but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Wonderfuleduc8meDined on 9/19/2014My SO and I thoroughly enjoyed out night out at 18 Seaboard. He got the rib-eye, and I got the Delmonico. They were perfection. The sides were fantastic, especially the rice and sausage. However, the spotlight has to go to our dessert. We both ordered the gluten free chocolate cake. This cake was beyond any gluten free confection I have ever eaten! Whether you are gluten free or not, this cake is a rich, thick, chocolate delight that is sure to astound you! The server told us about a special ingredient - order a slice and see for yourself how wonderful gluten free can be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerSpecialkDined on 9/18/2014My husband took me to celebrate my birthday. We made reservations but it wasn't necessary that day. She crab soup was delicious. Great flavor. The apple chopped salas was also good. My dinner entree was salmon with grits and spinach. The grits were really good. The spinach just okay. The side sauce I tasted but didn't use. Dessert was offered so i ordered a creme brulee and mu husband cake. They brought out the dessert and then a birthday brownie. So I ended up with 2 desserts. Had I known about the birthday one i would not have ordered a dessert. when she cleared the dinner, she should have brought the birthday dessert and not the dessert menu. The ambience was nice but some folks seated behind us were really loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with girls- reviewLunchwiththegirlsDined on 9/17/2014Our sister, aunts, mom and more often choose a lunch venue where we all meet to celebrate family and enjoy good food. Loved the soft shell crab- tempura style served over delicious salad. Enjoyed the fried catfish over the grit cake. The lemon crème brulee...delicious. Any restaurant that makes a conscientious effort to support local farmers is a place to support. The food has to be better, much more fresh than food traveling via airplane or truck across country or coming into the U.S. from other countries. Thank you for supporting the local farming community.Special Features:
- Great Food and Fantastic ServiceRogersPartyDined on 9/14/2014Having dined at 18 Seaboard before, we knew that the food was delicious and that the service was great. What surprised us this weekend was the kindness of the proprietor, chef, manager, and wait staff as they all stopped by our table to wish us a happy anniversary. The amazing people at 18 Seaboard are always willing to take a moment of their time to make your visit more enjoyable.Special Features:
- Walt Bday CelebrationdineoutDined on 9/13/2014I was disappointed due to the fact we were wanting to order Filet Mig. but you were out of it at 8:30 pm therefore we had to order something else on the menu. Also, it was so dark in our area that we could have used lighted menus. Some of us had to use our phones to see the menu.Special Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I think our waiter's name was Chris and he did an awesome job! He was great. Some of our party thought the restaurant was too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good servicesouthernyankee1Dined on 9/13/2014The food was very good and our service was excellent. However, I felt it was still a bit expensive for what we got. I've been to other restaurants that offer the same level of service and taste of food that was less expensive. I think this restaurant is worth trying but not one I'd go to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Never DisappointjoeydeDined on 9/12/2014We had martini night with our best friends and all four enjoyed our evening. The waiter left us alone with our drinks until we were ready to order. The food was excellent. This place is our favorite and we try to come here at least every three or four weeks. Service is always good. The place is noisy but you can have a conversation at your table without straining to hear. We will be back.Special Features:
- VeteDined on 9/12/2014Expected a bit more for the price. Me and another guest ordered the soft shell crab special...neither of us enjoyed it. Not sure why they thought this was a good dish. Wine was way overpriced. I understand that it should be marked up, but $12 for a glass when you can buy the bottle for $10 at the store is a bit much. There was nothing special about this place and we would have much preferred to pay almost half the cost for a similar ambiance and better food somewhere else. Also, a couple of veg and vegan options would be great. This was my first time here, it was my b-day and I was thankful for my great company but the food and lack of some sort of stand out fell flat. No reason to go back.
- Excellent Choice!AlleyEliDined on 9/11/2014This was the first time I had been to 18 Seaboard but have always heard good things. Me and my girlfriend went for dinner and chose to try out there new outdoor dining area and it was perfect! The view is pretty good for Raleigh dining and we were the only ones that sat outside. The weather was perfect and the wait staff did an excellent job of serving us even though we were the only ones in that section. Food came out very fast and it was one of the best Filet's I've had in Raleigh, especially since it's cheaper than most of choices. Definitely recommend anyone to go there and I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great multipurpose lunch spotJLawDined on 9/11/2014Whether for business lunch or relaxed lunch for two, great food, service and ambiance. And, best value around for solid, and creative entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazinghal57Dined on 9/10/2014We always enjoy dining at 18 Seaboard. They have a great menu using fresh local ingredients and everything is delicious. We celebrate our wedding anniversaries here and plan to come back much more often than just once a year.Special Features:
- Meals combined perfect ingredientsCaryMomWithSitterVIPDined on 9/9/2014We took friends to celebrate a birthday. We all ordered different dishes and agreed that the choices of combinations by the chef were unique and lovely. The peach vanilla sangria was amazing. Nothing ordinary here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayApexAMGDined on 9/6/2014Food was okay, but not stellar. But most disappointing was the service. It was slow and inattentive.
- ExceptionalWallskevDined on 9/6/20145 Stars to all. Deserves 6 Stars Outstanding - Last Night we had a Fantastic 45th Anniversary Dinner. Person attention of Executive chef Jason Smith and the wait staff was exceptional in every aspect. Even gave a special desert .Special Features:
- Never disappointed!WannabefoodcriticDined on 9/4/2014When dining at 18 Seaboard, you never have to worry about the quality of the food, the service, or the experience in general. It is my "go to" place for all occasions! I promise you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.