23 North Ferry Rd (rte. 114)
Shelter Island, NY 11964Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.18bayrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6317490053x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday-Saturday and Monday 5:30pm- Close, Sunday: 4:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Vegetarian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Elizabeth Ronzetti and Adam Kopels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact restaurant for details.
A word from 18 Bay
A weekly four-course chef's menu straight from the local markets including handmade pastas and handcrafted cocktails all set in a beautifully restored Farmhouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
18 Bay - Best Restaurants in Shelter Island ›
18 Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (50)romantic (42)great for outdoor dining (41)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (15)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Best dinner on Shelter IslandFoodie83Dined on 8/30/201418 Bay was the best restaurant we ate at while in Shelter Island. The menu is a pre-set, four course tasting menu, where you'll only have to choose between a seafood or a meat ontray (vegetarian options are available as well). Each course was well balanced and well presented, and the services was very friendly. We sat on the porch area and really enjoyed the ambiance of the place; you can hear the crickets outside between friendly conversations/laugher of couples, groups of friends dining on the porch. The only downside was the wine pairing; they alternated from white to red to white, and brought out red with seafood and white with a chocolate desert at the end. But overall, it was a memorable evening, and amazing food. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- LovelyletotherscookVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was our first visit and we look forward to returning. The whole "package" comes together perfectly - lovely old farmhouse, excellent food and attentive but not intrusive service. They do one 4 course meal per week with choice only for entree. But they are very flexible about changes for allergies or dislikes. My one "complaint" was too much food; 3 courses would have suited me better but it was all so good I over ate. Strongly recommended and better than Vine Street in my view, which ends up being pricier and has "attitude" more suited to East Hampton than Shelter Island. They also have an amazing wine by glass menu, offering every wine they have that way.Special Features:
- Inventive menuGetMeOnTopVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food and selection excellent and extremely fresh. Thigh every thing was great a stand out was the mouthwatering pasta course!Special Features:
- a great findMaggieDined on 8/21/2014From the beginning to the end a wonderful meal!! Relaxed atmosphere. wonderful friendly service. lovely ambience. we usually dine on the north fork. but i have to say that 18 tops the best restaurants of the north fork. its well worth the ferry trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming RestaurantshelterislandVIPDined on 8/20/201418 Bay was a very nice surprise. We were originally going to Sunset Beach, too much of a circus. 18 Bay Street was charming, great drinks, nice wine list and a lovely tasting menu. My only problem was the 2 choices of entrees. I'm not a fan of Duck or Fluke. I did try the fluke and it was really good.Special Features:
- Delicious evening outarloDined on 8/16/201418 Bay is an absolutely delicious evening out. The food is exciting, beautifully presented and most importantly delicious. The staff is professional and friendly. It is a difficult reservation to get at peak dining hours, but definitely worth the effort to keep trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just perfectBarbDined on 8/14/2014Amazing meal, great service, a bit noisy...but that is because some guests don't use inside voices! It's a prix fix with a twist. You get an amazing antipasti plate with 4 tapas like selections, that is followed by a pasta course, then you get to choose between one of two entrees, with a dessert to wrap up the evening. All are perfectly prepared and plated...so delicious. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WiddleDined on 8/9/2014First rate prix fixe menu and wine list. The four part appetizer was superb. Service was excellent and very friendly despite a very busy restaurant. Our server was mature and experienced and knew her wines as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The bar and bartender were excellent. Dined outside, and table was special....liking to be in the corner for more privacy. Food was good, but too many courses. By the time we got to the main course, we were full and if your not hungry, food does not appeal to your taste buds. We had lamb, rabbit and pork, all at one seating...too many different taste buds going on. The wine and drinks were expensive and our designated driver, who was drinking, club soda, was ignored when he asked for refills. Dessert was not appreciated, as we really could not eat another bite. I will look closer next time, at to what the restaurant is offering for the night. Somehow, we missed seeing the second pasta dish on the posted list. Continued below.Special Features:
- 18 Bay Always SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/7/2014It had been a year since our first visit to 18 Bay and our wait, though far too long, was worth every moment. Everything about this exquisite restaurant speaks to an attention to detail, whether it is the food, the service or the surroundings that is rarely matched anywhere. The four appetizers were simply terrific...particularly the seared sea scallop in a corn ragout and the grilled lamb spare rib. The yellow watermelon and radish salad was also sensational. The rabbit ragu over pappardelle was also incredible as was the seafood stew. If you want a unique dining experience in very romantic and elegant surroundings, this is an experience you should not miss if you venture to Shelter Island. Thank you...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste was ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014We tried 18 Bay while vacationing on Shelter Island. It was exceptional. We recommend it highly. Our server made the dinner special as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant, high-quality foodMozzaCDined on 8/4/2014We went as a couple, leaving the teenagers with their Netflix, hoping for a wonderful, grown-up romantic evening dinner and we were not disappointed. Lovely, elegant restaurant with a pleasantly quiet ambience. Worth dressing up for. Friendly professional service, excellent cocktails (18 Bay Cosmopolitan (highly recommended) and Mojito, food to die for, and a very nice bottle of Fallanghina to remind us of our holiday in Pompeii in 2011. Caroline had the best panacotta 'in my life'; I just loved the whole menu. Bay 18 alone is worth moving to Shelter Island for.Special Features:
- ebg200Dined on 8/1/2014Uninspired for the price. Service was below average. The food runners would place your food and not tell you what it was Experienced diners will find it underwhelming. I have enjoyed eating here in the past but the recent menu was mediocre for the 65 prix fix. I appreciate the use of local ingredients and the commitment to organic/sustainable is impressive but the items on the menu were poorly executed. Pasta with conch and lobster broth was plain and lacking broth, tuna crudo was a bland bite of tuna. The house made merguez was delicious but a small piece. The tiny Panna cotta dessert was completely forgettable. Overall it was a nice experience but I expected more for the price point, especially considering it's a set menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very specialOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014Homey porch dinner. Great drinks. Lovely dinner. Would love to go again since menu is different every week.Special Features:
- Well Worth the Trip OverSenapsDined on 7/31/2014Don't let the ferry deter you away from making it to Shelter Island. This is easily the best food and value on the North Fork. Also, love that all the wines are by the glass, so you can try lots of different things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie heavenNP22Dined on 7/27/2014It was our 2nd visit to 18 Bay and the food and service surpassed expectations. The 4 course tasting menu is the best deal in the Hamptons at $65. Set of 4 mini starters was divine: Beet tartare, mini lobster roll, Pork belly with apricot, and Bluefish crudo with watermelon. Primi dish of homemade pasta with cherry tomatoes was a nice sized portion with incredible fresh flavor. My husband and I both had the Hudson Duck breast that was cooked perfectly and the 'Tatin' desert of peaches and blueberries was the best dessert I've had in months. Service is impeccable and we also met the chefs Elizabeth and Adam who pull it all together which added to the evening. Bravo 18 Bay - we'll be back!Special Features:
- Worth the ferry rideJaneNYCVIPDined on 7/25/2014Took our houseguests from the city to 18 Bay and everyone was blown away. Everything was delicious, especially the lobster profiterole served as part of the selection of four appetizers, and the pasta course consisting of homemade spaghetti alla chitarra with crabmeat and cherry tomatoes. Great cocktails and wine list. They're very accommodating of dietary needs and willing to make substitutions on the prix fixe menu. A really wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Another wonderful mealbarbEHVIPDined on 7/17/2014Truly one of our favorite places. We can always count on a great meal and wonderful service. Well worth the ferry trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't get caught - tourist trap!MMandCMDined on 7/11/2014I was so excited to eat at 18 Bay after seeing the reviews and visiting their website. My high expectations were mostly around the quality and taste of the food. Here is our assessment: The portions were very small, bland and uninspired. After every bite, we found ourselves saying "its just OK". Just OK, is OK, if that is what you signed up for. However, my expectations were very high based on how they presented themselves and their prices. Note: We love to try all kinds of restaurants and food styles (especially different and interesting dishes) but this time we found ourselves very disappointed. Sorry 18 Bay, I would have loved to give you a great review!Special Features:
- Spectacularsit9001VIPDined on 7/6/2014What an amazing meal! My wife started with an elderberry and ginger cocktail which was so good that she wouldn't even let me taste a drop. The four course antipasti was beautiful to look at and outstanding to enjoy: chilled white gazpacho was perfect and refreshing and flavorful, the lobster crostini was better than any lobster roll on the east end, the fluke crudo with cherries was an inspiration. The pasta was sensational, sweet pea and mint offsetting the decadent brown butter. The crispy striped bass was cooked to perfection. The service was spot on and the space was quiet and refined. A special place for a special meal. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal and serviceYasminnyVIPDined on 7/5/201418 Bay never fails to impress. We had a lovely meal of local fish and vegetables in a beautiful setting. The service was terrific. We are always greeted with a smileSpecial Features:
- Shelter Island findsteakmanVIPDined on 7/2/2014You must try this restaurant. The menu started with 4 antipasti on a 4 sectioned plate. Each completely different but all went perfectly together. A small pasta serving came next which was perfect in size and most delishous . My wife had the halibut dinner choice and I had lamb. Both superb. Then desert , a simple semifreddo with strawberries. Yum. We also tried one of their signature cocktails the 18 bay cosmopolitan which started off the dinner perfectly. And we decided to do the wine pairing with each course which pulled it all together. Our server that evening was lovely and attentive . Please go and I am sure you will enjoy every bite of food throughout your dining experience. Lastly , it's not an inexpensive dinner but clearly try itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSuperDined on 6/28/2014Memorable meal great food,presentation,and service. Brought my own wine which was a plus. Save for special occasions!Special Features:
- Don't overlook this gem!!!!ItalianfoodbratDined on 6/23/2014Brought my husband here as a birthday surprise!!! We are both food snobs and extremely critical of Resturant dining. This was by far one of the BEST resturants we have ever visited. All 4 courses are fresh from the herbs to the vegetables and fruits as well as the fish. The setting is quaint and the service impeccable. My husband is a wine collector and was pleasantly surprised at the selection. We will without a doubt return! Bravo to the husband and wife chefs!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentmgbfoodieVIPDined on 6/22/2014Imaginative, very well-executed menu. One of the best on the east end. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- A Shelter Island GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/201418 Bay is truly a first class restaurant. Extremely cordial and attentive service and each item of our dinner was exceptional. Will be sure to revisit on our next trip to Shelter IslandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stanleybrowntVIPDined on 6/8/2014An unusual approach to the menu: the only decision you normally make is to choose one of the two offered entrees; four different antipasti and a pasta course are delivered to all before the entree, and a dessert afterward (you can ask for substitutes when you have a dislike or an allergy).The menu changes weekly, and is based on locally grown produce.Everything we had was delicious, with some creative combinations of flavors. A charming location in an old house, but gets noisy when busy (hard surfaces). Service friendly and knowledgeable,Special Features:
- WonderfulgkaczmDined on 6/8/2014Loved the antipasti, especially the swordfish. The Saffron Tagliatelli with Lobster, Peas and White Butter was Devine. The lamb was prefect. The almond cake was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little less saltEnjoyfoodDined on 6/7/2014Although generally the food was excellent, the fish dishes tended to be salty so those folks with hypertension or heart disease may need to be careful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like the first timeDunbyStahfuccasDined on 5/30/2014Have dined here half a dozen times since my first meal on opening night in 2011. The food is lovingly and tastily prepared without fail. I especially appreciate not having to choose among the tantalizing appetizers as all four are presented to each guest on a subtly divided platter. Service is warm and workmanlike. The cocktail menu, while surely inventive, I found dispiriting due to seemingly improbable ingredient combinations and a number of which were foreign to me. My savvy sister, a noted wine and spirits author, felt otherwise. Despite my doubts about the drinks menu, there is no doubt that 18 Bay continues to offer wonderful prix fixed dining in lovely atmosphere.Special Features:
- 18 Baytable4fourDined on 5/29/2014A fabulous experience with a unique approach to the menu...it is chosen for you by the selection of what is in season; you get to sample the delights of the chefs talents combined with the freshest local produce. You choose the entree from a limited list - a local fisherman caught the black bass which was served over savory greens. Every course was prepared to perfection. Wonderful Long Island to international choices of wines. The service - superb! Crisp linens, fresh blossoms, great music-definitely worth the trip to Shelter Island - only open for dinner - enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014Dinner was great as usual! The owners Elizabeth and Adam are so warm and welcoming. Love 18 Bay!Special Features:
- The following 111 reviews are from the 18 Bay reviews archive.
- Worth taking a trip on a ferryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014Excellent presentation of local produce carefully prepared mix of delicate tastes, savory, sweet and spicey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend getaway40thbirthdayDined on 3/22/2014We had a fantastic dinner here over my husbands 40th birthday weekend. We popped in during the day to make sure that they could accommodate a vegetarian. The chef spoke with us. He was delightful!.. Extremely accommodating. Our food that evening was wonderful and the ambience was lovely. We will definitely be back. The whole team was friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2013The food was disappointing the four courses were not great the appetizers were In appealing tough squid a tiny pizza tough athe little dis patty was good but needed a sauce the best was the cold Brussels sprouts A choice of one of two entrees a fish dish or fillet mignonette and short rib wit microscopic potatoes boiled the two meats did not pair well the courses were served with ceremony not going back for awhile
- Great way to celebrate a birthday!YasminnyVIPDined on 11/10/201318 Bay never disappoints. We celebrated a family birthday this weekend and had a terrific time. Tasted cardoons for the first time. Cozy ambiance friendly attentive service. Food is imaginative and local. First of the Peconic Bay scallops. We will be back as usualSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceFoodlvrDined on 11/3/2013We had a not so great dinner here a few moths ago. Although the food was outstanding, the service was enough to make me want to NEVER go back. We decided to give it one more chance and 18 Bay was back to its old MO. Exquisite and creative food and more than adequate service this time around. As locals, we forgive and forget and will make this restaurant a habit.Special Features:
- great once we sat downmandy1Dined on 11/2/2013made a 9pm reservation and didn't sit down til 9.45 pm. we would of liked to see something comped or a free appetizer while we were waiting. after working all day and not eatting we wanted to sit at 9 and eat, not be leaving the restaurant at 11.30. once we placed our order, it took about 10 minutes to get our apps (which was the same for the whole restaurant) but after that, the timing and service was great. the menu was the same for the whole restaurant. everyone got a plate of 4 smalls apps, choice of 1 of 2 entrees, a pasta salad i believe, and a choice of 1of 2 desserts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingVACMDVIPDined on 11/2/2013Though the food was good, the service was inexcusably poor. Ordered botlled water, never got more than a glass each thiugh the partly filled bottle was removed from the table and we had to order a second with the same result. The bus staff kept trying to fill glaases with tap. They have no concept of wine pairing. They simply plopped a glass of white or red. No name no origin no compositon just the type (here's a riesling or a nebbiolo). We were also seated by a drafty door and I needed my coat the entire evening. This was nit a goid experience. We will not be back.
- We took ferry JUST for dinner here!ash121681Dined on 10/19/2013We took the ferry from Sag Harbor just for dinner here because it was highly recommended. We were blown away by the delicious meal! I highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys fine dining! I am allergic to seafood and shellfish and they were able to substitute without question. I appreciate restaurants who think of these possibilities ahead of time! The lamb entree was incredible. And the potato with truffle oil sauce was amazing. I wanted to slurp up the sauce with a straw!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.