18 Asian and Sushi Bar
9935 Rea Rd
Charlotte, NC 28277Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
18 Asian and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.18blakeney.com/
- Phone: 7048451801
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:30pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 18 Asian and Sushi Bar
Offering delectable cuisine, extensive sushi rolls, and a wide selection of noodle and rice bowls as well as Asian tapas and specialty entrees in a modern and casual setting. Budget friendly prices with welcoming, professional service. The bar area offers a soothing visual appeal with a great bar scene. Cool light-green hue backlight emanating from the bar evokes a sense of peace and serenity. The dining area can be arranged to meet groups of all different sizes including parties, family gatherings and birthday parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
18 Asian and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I had made a reservation and when I went they said they were closing and I never got a follow up call or anything
- Fairly blandDisappointedDined on 5/30/2014Was glad we made reservations for a Saturday night dinner or there was a 30 minute wait. It unfortunately has a very high noise level so don't select it for a quiet dining experience. The food was average. I had a dish called Basil and it was not very well seasoned. Don't know if I'd go back. Was fairly unimpressed with the food or loud atmosphere. Our waiter was very nice and helpful with suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the 18 Asian and Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- Chilly TempIgotideaDined on 5/16/2014Eat at 18 Asian many many times. Food is always good, service at the bar is always extra good. Table service can be a little mixed, sometimes good and sometimes not so good. The only real issue is - - it is always EXTREMELY cold in this restaurant. Most of the vents blow right down on tables or seats. I can only assume the staff are warm, because all the other diners around us were cold too.Special Features:
- We had sushi , ceviche andGnocciDined on 3/15/2014We had sushi , ceviche and different bowls and everything was great! After somebody showed us our table, we unfortunately got out off their mind for the following 15 minutes. But then our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service depends on your waiterLunchExperienceVIPDined on 3/7/2014James is the best waiter there-- if you get him, you're in great hands. If you get someone else, the service can take a long time.... The sushi is great, though. You can't go wrong with any of the choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this "Neighborhood Gem"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014I love going to 18 Asian and Sushi Bar. I often go with my boyfriend for date nights but also with my mom and sister for a girls night out. It has good prices and the sushi is always fabulous. The server's are always polite and the service is quick. I would recommend this restaurant for date nights, girls night outs, or even a family dinner. They also do call ahead take out which I love to use since it can sometimes get crowded on weekends. Definitely worth going to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy going there greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Always enjoy going there great food and very convenient .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2014We went for a girls night out. Enjoyed the sushi and the wine!Special Features:
- great place varied asianFoodtvjunkieVIPDined on 12/6/2013We went with another family - 4 adults and 4 kids…everyone had a dish they liked or shared - there were varied options - sushi for the sushi lovers and other plates for the kids and adults who don't like sushi…everyone was happy and fullSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service has gone totally downhilllsmith622Dined on 11/1/2013We have been coming here for the past three years and has always been my favorite place for sushi in Charlotte... though that has recently changed. The last few times I have been here, the service has been appalling. The hostesses are brain dead and the wait staff arrogant and unattentive. Even the amazing sushi and special rolls can't save this place anymore.Special Features:
- We dined at 18 Asian at lunchtimeCDFGDined on 10/7/2013We dined at 18 Asian at lunchtime to celebrate a bday. There were 9 of us. The restaurant was quiet, only a few other tables. We ordered an assortment of sushi and all of it was delicious. The service was also impeccable. I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!datenightDined on 10/5/2013Took 45 min. to get a drink! Asked for manager. Owner was not interested in making us happy. Dinner came before a drink did. We walked out!Special Features:
- great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2013sushi was very good imo. decently priced too. we usually do take out but have dined in before. when we dined in, service was good. would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables extremely close no privacyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2013I have eaten in McDonald's where the tables were farther apart than here. Food was fine to good. Went to this owners establishment instead of Jade because of a time constraint. Wish we hadn't ---spent $80 + bucks on a really un-enjoyable dining experience. Will not return there. Service seemed very rushed and several items did not come out (appetizers) on time with other appetizers.
- Good experience - some exceptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2013This was our second time at 18 Asian and Sushi Bar. Overall it was a decent dining experience. The service was a little off, compared to our first visit. Our server was good about refilling our drinks, but didn't offer us any silverware or napkins when he took our order or after bringing us our appetizer and he wasn't very personable. The hostess should have done this when she seated us, but it didn't happen. Pretty basic wouldn't you think. Also, for the price of some of the sushi rolls, it seemed the amount of protein in or on some of the rolls was a bit on the lean side. However, we did enjoy the sushi overall, and more than likely we will be back because 18 Asian and Sushi bar is a good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in South Charlotte!!lsmith622Dined on 6/6/2013I have been to many sushi restaurants here in the South Charlotte area and this is by far the best!! The most amazing rolls you will have... so hard to choose which ones to eat because you want to choose all of them. I will definitely be coming back here in a couple of weeks for my birthday celebration!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!LuvtodineDined on 5/17/2013This neighborhood gem is a great place to catch up with friends and enjoy well-made sushi. The server was knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive so our table of four could chat and take our time with selections. Prosecco splits are served here which is a bonus for me. The Tsunami Roll is just beautiful. The seaweed is easier to chew than in other sushi restaurants which is refreshing, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service everOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/9/2013This is the second time we visited Asian 18. We were hoping for an improvement since our last visit, one year ago. We were wrong. Service was bad. Took 22 min to order and the waiters have no clue what they are doing. It was even busy. We got sat at a table with the sun in our eyes. Didn't even offer to put the shades down. Done with this place.
- We find the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013We find the food and service here to be fantastic. The prices are extremely reasonable...it is a true "neighborhood gem!"Special Features:
- Not their best effort!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013I had been to 18 Asian on many occasions, however this experience was probably at the bottom of the list. We arrived at 7:20 PM for a 7:30 PM reservation. My wife told the hostess that we had a 7:30 PM reservation and the hostess response was "it's not 7:30". Obviously a hello or we'll be right with you would have been nice. The service was below average as we had to run down the waiter after 15 minutes to place our order. The service improved slightly after that. An occasional smile would have been acceptable from the waitor. The three sushi rolls seemed to taste very similar, which was disappointing. Probably wait a while to return!Special Features:
- 18 Asain was outstanding .OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/201318 Asain was outstanding . The food and the restaurant was excellent but the waiter we had was the best of the best, from the moment we sat down until we left our waiter took care of us. It was a Saturday night and it was very busy and I was there with my wife for her bday and our son. We used to only go to sushi 101 but we will never go back as we found our spot for sushi. We are from California and until now we never found a better restaurant. Must go GarySpecial Features:
- Alternative to Cowfish!MerrylKDined on 1/26/2013If you love Cowfish in SouthPark, you'll love 18 Asian and Sushi also. The food is exemplary. We had the Rob Roll and Sesame Shrimp with seaweed salad (much better than Cowfish's). Our cocktails were amazing, as well. We are so happy we discovered 18 because Cowfish doesn't accept reservations on the weekends anymore so it is difficult to get a table. Since we love 18 as much or better, we now have a fabulous alternative or replacement! Bravo to the manager and chefs of 18.Special Features:
- Love, love, love the Sushi!!!BrighteyesDined on 1/5/2013Love, love, love the Sushi!!! Great place to eat if you are a Sushi lover!Special Features:
- 18 Asian is at the top ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/30/201218 Asian is at the top of the list for Sushi anywhere. We dine here often and find it consistently superb. There are other excellent items on the menu other than sushi so if your are not a fan or someone in your group is not a fan of sushi, do not overlook this neighborhood restaurant. Servers are very good, decor is above average for a "strip mall" setting. Really good experience.Special Features:
- Good for sushi and other AsianIranmnVIPDined on 8/20/2012Good for sushi and other Asian choices. Not gourmetSpecial Features:
- Excellent FoodMikeWDined on 7/26/2012Food was excellent and so if that is your main thing certainly take a trip here. It is expensive for a Sushi bar, starter, 3 types of sashimi and some of the more exotic rolls could easily run a bill up to and perhaps over $50 per person before tip. It is very noisy getting to the point at times that people were almost shouting to be heard. Once the server arrived I will say that he was quite attentive, but there was no real feeling of welcome in entering the restaurant.Special Features:
- We've been 3 times now andJaymeVIPDined on 6/29/2012We've been 3 times now and all the food we've tried so far is really good. Great sushi and the ginger dressing on the inexpensive house salad is excellent. My only complaint this time is that the AC wasn't working well enough, so it was hot in there. Our service is often a little slow, especially out of the bar, but the people there are nice and accommodating. I definitely recommend this for a spot in Ballantyne.
- We have eaten here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2012We have eaten here several times before, but always at the bar, and the food and the service was always good to great. This was our first time at a table, and personally, I would not recommend it to anyone. We were there on a Friday nite, and the service was fair to poor - took forever to get our food or refills on drinks - we actually gave up on getting the requested refills of water. Sad, cause we brought some friends who hadn't been here before. I don't think they will be back. Portions on sushi were very small compared w/what Nikko's and Sushi Guru provide. Not sure we will be back anytime soon........
- We felt a little bit overdressedeak321VIPDined on 6/23/2012We felt a little bit overdressed upon arrival in polo shirts and jeans. I didn't realize it was a T-shirt-and-shorts kind of place. No worries, but it didn't really feel like a "night out" because of that. The sushi and hot food entrees were delicious, though, and of a good portion size. Dinner prices are much higher than their lunch prices and, because it's SO casual, I felt like I overpaid.Special Features:
- This was my second trip toJaymeVIPDined on 6/16/2012This was my second trip to the restaurant and we've been very happy both times. All the food we've tried has been very good - both sushi and the various Asian hot entrees. Excellent house salad, excellent Thai ceviche. We enjoy the patio dining as well.
- Been here numerous times howeverRuPriceVIPDined on 6/2/2012Been here numerous times however the service was lacking this time.Special Features:
- My husband and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012My husband and I had a great time. We have not found great sushi in Charlotte, there are a lot of good places, but nothing great. I think we have found it. We will be back. It was recommended to use and we travelled 25 minutes to get there and it was worth the trip.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012The sushi and food as excellent! Would go back again.Special Features:
- Great food! Great Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2012Great food! Great Service. Made reservations for 8:30 but arrived at 7 and was seated 20 minutes later. Wonderful menu selection.
- Sushi was fantastic. CalamariOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012Sushi was fantastic. Calamari was so so. Restaurant looks really nice and is cozy. It appeared that service is normally great, but our server didn't seem to have it together.Special Features:
- Service is key!!!!tlew1000Dined on 2/14/2012Made reservation for 6:30, seated at approx. 6:20 and finished up at 8:30. No cocktails purchased and we were there until 8:30. That should tell anyone about the service. The sushi was loosely wrapped which is somewhat annoying when using chop stick but good for caveman style eating. Overall, food was good service was very poor. Will I go back again? Probably not!!!
- After waiting for 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/13/2012After waiting for 15 minutes before anyone came by our table, we finally flagged down a waiter. No one even looked at our table even though every other table around us had someone sitting at it. I can understand how we may have been missed since there were several lights out in the restaurant - including the one over our table. The food tasted very good as usual. We had sushi, but the roll wasn't very tight, so as you pick up some of the rolls, they were falling apart.
- Food is great. Sushi is good.drjimmysongVIPDined on 1/8/2012Food is great. Sushi is good. Service was bad. Waiter took so long for everything and keep blaming the restaurant is busy. Restaurant is small so there should be no excuse of not filling drinks for 10 minutes. Not taking appetizer order for so long. Had to put the order appetizer with our main course since we were ready to order as well.
- amazing sushi bar and sake menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2011Love this place! The Rob roll on special is amazingggg. The menu rolls are soo good but whenever my boyfriend go we always also get one of the special rolls on the board at the sushi bar. They have never dissapointed! LOVE warm purple haze sake. Also, make sure to order a side of "Charlie sauce"!!Special Features:
- we went there for my wife'sdrjimmysongVIPDined on 12/14/2011we went there for my wife's birthday dinner. I have mentioned that on my request but nobody mentioned anything when we were there. Service was ok. sushi was good. my kids ordered three different kind of noodles. two of them are good except yakisoba noodles. very plain with no taste. my daughter loves the noodles but she pushed aways this noodle. Ambiance was ok. small restaurant so don't have big space for big group.bar is not separated from the dining area. overall I enjoyed the food.