17Hundred90 Inn and Restaurant
307 East President St.
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
17Hundred90 Inn and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://17hundred90.com/
- Phone: (912) 236-7122
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Samons
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer on site catering for up to 100 people both formal and informal
- Private Party Facilities: We have private party facilities that can accommodate up to 70 guest.
- Private Party Contact: Edward Williams 912-236-7122
- Entertainment: 1790 Restaurant and Inn offers a live pianist Friday-Saturday nights from 6p.m. until 9p.m.
A word from 17Hundred90 Inn and Restaurant
Named for the year it was constructed, 17Hundred90 provides a dining experience without equal in a historic city which prides itself in showering visitors in the unhurried luxury and service of times gone by. A living time capsule of America's earliest decades, 17Hundred90 captures the authentic flavor of an eighteenth century river port hotel and restaurant while working diligently to provide wonderful new memories for our guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
17Hundred90 Inn and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
17Hundred90 Inn and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (76)special occasion (68)neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (23)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (7)hot spot (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- customerMarshallDined on 11/15/2014Great dining experience. Great atmosphere. Greeter and waiter could have been a little more personable but other than that an OK experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerLowcountryBoyDined on 11/15/2014We picked 17Hundred90 for an anniversary dinner before attending a concert at Lucas Theatre. In addition to being convenient and perfectly located for our after-dinner plans, we were very impressed with the food, the service and the ambiance. The Boursin chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables was outstanding, as was the Salmon Oscar. Service was quick, non-invasive and friendly. Ambiance was romantic in a lively atmosphere that still allowed for private conversation. We will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely low-country menuMicsterVIPDined on 11/13/2014We enjoyed the meal very much, the service was excellent and they were busy. The young man playing the piano softly in the background was a delight and did not interfere with casual conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved 20 years agoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Just as I remembered, no loss of quality or ambiance. Great place for a romantic dinner with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal this visitVickiDined on 11/7/2014We loved this restaurant. Before this meal, we were disappointed in every meal except breakfast for three days. Food, service, ambiance all superb.Special Features:
- CharmingPrincessRedDined on 11/6/2014The restaurant was delightful but seated next to a roaring fire when it was 70 degrees out was a tad bit odd. The wine list was ambitious and I had a wonderful pinot gris, which you can't always get. My husband loved the crab bisque, my redfish was superbly flavored and prepared. The commercially prepared dinner rolls were coated in a tasty honey butter. The negative: sad that such good fish was accompanied by bland minute rice. The green beans (enthusiastically called haricots verts) were nothing special. My husband had the pork roast stuffed with cranberry and it was also good, tasty and moist. The service was fine, but seemed frantic: need more servers or someone called off? Restaurant was busy especially for a week night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LSW0712Dined on 11/6/2014My husband and I dine out quite often traveling for business. We entertain clients at some of the best restaurants in the country and we both agreed that this was one of the best meals we ever had! Loved the atmosphere, service and felt every bit in Savannah, GA. We will definitely come back to 1790 the next time we pass through this beautiful city.Special Features:
- DaveinAtlantaDined on 11/1/2014This was definitely one of the best restuarants I've been to. The food, service and ambiance were outstanding. Great selection of seafood and meats as well as appetizer. Defintely try Miss Annette's Stew for a starter.Special Features:
- A blast from the past...saznbazzlbeDined on 10/31/2014... but not necessarily in a good way. The menu was straight out of the 1980s - including Oysters Rockefeller. Portion size was decent but the food was twice as expensive as it should have been. Seems like they couldn't decide whether they wanted to be upscale or a neighborhood hangout and so the ambience clashed with the dated, expensive menu. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing and spending $30 for a dish of linguine with a couple of inconsistently butchered beef medallions was too much. Service was terrible - we never got a cocktail menu or wine list, it took ten minutes to even get acknowledged, and our server forgot about us and it took half an hour for them to pick up the check.Special Features:
- The promise was short...PhilDined on 10/31/2014Nice ambience and server was very good - however, the food wait time was very long. We booked the meal at 830pm, ordered just an entree' but food was not served until 940pm - by that time our appetite was not as sharp. The trout was a little dry and appeared to have been hanging around and reheated. The restaurant was high priced and promised much more. It was a shame - the restaurant needs to consider how to serve the 2 sum's quicker. Needless to say we did not order desert - time for bed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite Savannah experience...MikeandLizDined on 10/31/2014We infrequently go out for an above casual/below formal dining experience, but 17Hundred90 absolutely fits the bill. Prices are not cheap, but still very reasonable. Menu has an assortment of options for guaranteed to delight an array of pallettes. We went on Halloween night, so dress of the diners varied... one guy in jean shorts which surprised me given resort casual was the dress code. Tried escargo, and my wife had the oysters as an appetizer... she chose wisely. Both were good, but her's was better. I then had the salmon and she had the beef medallions over pasta. Both good, but she won again. Server (dressed as the Cheshire Cat, sorry I forgot your name) was awesome. He got them the 5th overall star. Second visit, will be a 3rd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah FindMikeVIPDined on 10/30/2014One of the best restaurants in the USA, worth the time to try. Very reasonably priced, quantity and quality was well above expectations. Easy walking distance to most attractions in the downtown area.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundJerryDined on 10/29/2014A high standard for both food and service are met and exceeded at 17 Hundred 90. This is truly a fine dining experience with reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- Pass on this one peoplePromogalDined on 10/26/2014I don't understand why this place receives so many high ratings. It was pretty poor. We waited for a while at the front before anyone even noticed us and there were only 10 people in the restaurant. The food was mediocre at best and the ambiance was something I would expect of a 1970's restaurant where my grandfather would have gone. Not impressed. The menu is old and needs updating. I don't know who is taking their photos for their website but their food does NOT look like that when served. Crab cakes and bacon wrapped scallops were average at best with no sear on the scallops at all. The lamb was overcooked on some pieces and blue on others - rookie mistakes. The jambalaya was almost all rice and no protein - I ate maybe 10 bites. So sad
- Another special dinner at the 1790!savannahloversDined on 10/26/2014This is our 8th visit to Savannah and we always make sure to eat at the 1790 house each visit. The ambiance is romantic and we have never had a bad meal. The service is outstanding..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceLexiDined on 10/25/2014Everything was amazing, but what really put it over the top for me was that the restaurant had a piano player! Loved that!!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Took my girlfriend here for our anniversary, amazing food, great piano player, great servers, will definitely visit again with family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the history and ambiance!LaurenB23VIPDined on 10/24/2014This place is a true gem. Loved everything about it. The food was great (the honey biscuits are to die for), the service was good, and the atmosphere was warm, inviting, and romantic. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insanely Good!burrtkdVIPDined on 10/24/2014We went for our Anniversary dinner. Got to sit in a romantic corner of the restaurant. They had piano music playing and it made the evening really romantic. Our dinner was probably the BEST I have had out. Bacon wrapped scallops for an appetizer - the absolute BEST I have had. My husband had the Beef Medallions - those were amazing. I had crab cakes, scallops & shrimp - amazing as well. We went back and had dinner again before coming home. The two meals we had didn't disappoint! Book Early as they do fill up. The Inn is charming and I have booked us there next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service by steven was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/23/2014Excellent food and great evening We wld recommend to our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved 17Hundred90jazzymichaelVIPDined on 10/23/2014The restaurant is on the ground level of an ancient, historic building in Savannah. I had a seafood appetizer (oyster stew) and the Neptune, an assortment of seafood combined on one plate. Very tasty, seasoned well and left me wanting more.Special Features:
- Not up to parptynewportDined on 10/22/2014We were very excited to dine at this restaurant because of it's historical setting. Now I see why the restaurant ranks so much lower then comparable restaurants in reviews. First, our server was harried and kept apologizing for her slow service. Just stop with the apoologies already and get to work! Then the food.....my soup was lukewarm and tasted like it came out of a Campbell's soup can. My daughter's NY strip was overcooked and fatty. She ordered it Med Rare....not good. My steak (a filet mignon) was ok. I could cook a more flavorable steak at home. All in all, very overpriced for what you got and disappointing. There are much better options in Savannah.
- Overpriced, outdated menuCKJBDined on 10/21/2014I ordered one of the specials, the crab stuffed filet. My husband ordered the regular filet. The menu doesn't list the sides with the dishes and our waiter didn't tell us what they were. You get one biscuit at the beginning of the meal. It was very good, but don't ask for more. We split the spinach salad, this was the best part of the meal. The dressing that came with it was great. The steaks, horrible, no flavor, nothing. We both asked for medium. Mine was close, but my husbands was rare. The sides were bland, mashed potatoes and some steamed asparagus. The presentation left much to be desired. We paid $100 for this meal and it should have been more like $40. This menu hasn't been updated since the Inn opened, 70 years ago.
- Must visit on any SAV stayhullstersDined on 10/20/2014Best soup ever. (roasted pepper and tomato). Ambiance and service is top notch. Prices are fair for the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!LovebirdsDined on 10/19/2014My husband and I were in Savannah for our anniversary and we're going to go back to a restaurant we had been to the year before. Thanks to a delightful gentleman recommending 17 Hundred 90 we had one of the best meals we have ever had. We can't wait to return to one of favorite places, Savannah and one of our new favorite restaurants 17 Hundred 90.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodIowaFoodieDined on 10/19/2014We had Sunday brunch and it was excellent. I would highly recommend eating here when you are in Savannah.Special Features:
- Great Night & Great Food!Pghtraveler1Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had a delicious meal here while visiting Savannah. The food was very good and the service was as well! The atmosphere and wine list was as good as it gets!Special Features:
- Good, but...chowhoundsDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary dinner this year and for the most part it was a nice experience. The only real problem was with our server. While friendly, he seemed overwhelmed, as if he had too many tables to take care of at once. Because of that, our entrees showed up before our appetizer and my wife's filet was delivered undercooked. The same waiter wasn't very attentive for the remainder of our meal, but did offer us complimentary desserts because of the problems we had with our food/service. That was a nice touch as they delivered our two desserts on a platter with the words "Happy Anniversary, 1790" written in chocolate and raspberry sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindLBHJDined on 10/11/2014Having last stayed at the inn and eaten at restaurant over 12 years ago, we were delighted that it was the same as we remembered. The food was outstanding and being English the portion size was just right and we cannot praise it highly enough. Hopefully it won't be another 12 years before we return.Special Features:
- Restaurant in historical districtLiverpoolDined on 10/11/2014Restaurant had character and lots of visual appeal. Fit savannah vibe. Food was good and glasses of wine were very good. There was a piano playing in the room and it added to the mood in a good way. Price was reasonable for the areaSpecial Features:
- GREAT SOUTHERN HOSPITALITYMUSSLEEDined on 10/10/2014At first the restaurant seemed quite dark but our eyes did adjust. Helpful and friendly staff and gave a good description of the food. Pork Tenderloin very tasty and juicy also the chicken very moist. Bacon wrapped Scallops lovely and the fried green tomatoes good. Good wine list not to expensive. Too full up for desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DininghortusdocDined on 10/9/2014Our dining experience at 17Hundred90 was wonderful. The entire staff was courteous and attentative to our needs. Food was excellent with a great presentation. Music was appropriate, soft and romantic. Steven, our waiter, was gracious and perfect! Thank you 17Hundred90 for a perfect evening and tips for next year!Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2014Good food but mediocre service. There were only two servers for the entire restaurant. Had to wait about 15-20 min even with a reservation.Special Features:
- good food nice ambienceJudyDined on 10/5/2014My husband tried the special flounder which was a disappointment. I tried the vegetarian option which the chef designs on the spot. Mine was wonderful. Service was excellent. Given its reputation, we felt this was less than we had hoped for but a perfectly adequate place for dinner.
- BabzVIPDined on 10/4/2014Loved everything- BUT - the biscuits !!!!! Forget the diet and have one. Would definetly go back.Special Features:
- up to expectationsKcrabbyDined on 10/2/2014We were visiting this restaurant to see if it might be a good choice for a family get together at Thanksgiving. It will be the perfect setting. The surroundings reminded us of the historic restaurants in Williamsburg, VA, but the food offerings were better. Our server was very friendly. Our Caesar salad, which we split, was most generous. Both entrees were delicious. My husband particularly enjoyed the small order rack of lamb. The wine list is adequate. We are looking forward to our Thanksgiving meal there. The night we visited, October 2, 2014, there was a young man playing the piano and he was wonderful. The musical selections as well as the sound level added just the right note to the evening, as they acted as background.Special Features:
- PattyDined on 10/2/2014Loved the atmosphere. The live piano player was excellent. I had the stuffed flounder which was dry. I was dissatisfied with my meal. Our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodDonnDined on 9/27/2014We found this restaurant to be very warm and inviting. The food was excellent. The best crab cakes we have ever had. The shrimp and scallop scampi was to die for.Special Features:
- 17hundred90OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014Service was excellent. 3 of 4 dinners were very good. Rack of lamb ordered rare came medium to well. returned to kitchen only to find out that there was only one order remaining and because it was "pre-cooked" it was at best medium. Waitress handled it fine, but we were disappointed that we all couldn't enjoy an great meal. Replacement appetizer and a dessert were comped by the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentmf912Dined on 9/20/2014I wish I remembered my waiters name but he was great very knowledgeable with the menu. Very kind. I was on a date with my girlfriend and she and I sat directly in the middle of the resturant which I normally dislike (because of noise) and it was perfect. Everyone enjoying each other's company and very fine dining. The Sautéed shrimp I had was GREAT. Goin' back 4 sho!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.