1796 Room at Bedford Springs
2138 Business Rt 220
Bedford, PA 15522Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
1796 Room at Bedford Springs
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bedfordspringsresort.com/dining/1796_room.asp
- Phone: 8146245610x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Saturday - 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Konrad Meier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from 1796 Room at Bedford Springs
Sure to be included among the Mid-Atlantic's most celebrated steak and chop houses. Enjoy prime beef, veal and fresh seafood paired with exceptional wine and spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
1796 Room at Bedford Springs - Best Restaurants in Bedford ›
1796 Room at Bedford Springs reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)romantic (41)notable wine list (35)fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (7)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent RestaurantAmyLVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is in an historic hotel and has a lot of character. The steaks we ordered (ribeye and tenderloin) were amazing and prepared perfectly. They had a crusty(ish) seasoning and were very tender inside. The sides are big enough to share, including the baked potatoes. I passed on the dessert but they sounded scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelerLove2eatDined on 8/27/2014The food and the service was top rate as was the ambiance of the 1796 restaurant. Would recommend it to anyone who wants a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bailey1240Dined on 8/24/2014While the food and drinks were great for our dinner. The noise level was extremely high and very uncomfortable. I kept waiting for a train to come through. The staff must have a difficult time working under these conditions. When considering the price we were paying for food and beverages I would have expected more of a comfort zone. Our over all experience was not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Beautiful place, good food but over priced. AccommidatingSpecial Features:
- Classic diningBiltmoreGirlDined on 8/17/2014Our meal at 1796 Room at Bedford Springs was outstanding! From the attentive service to the cozy, but not cramped, dining room - we really enjoyed our time there. The food was delicious! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayGrapeescapeDined on 8/15/2014Had the best dining experience we have had in this restaurant. Large groups were in private dining room which made the dining room experience so much better. Great job with the steaks. My wife loved her filet with blue cheese.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014We stayed at the Bedford Spring omni Hotel The restaurant came highly reccomended The steak and veal chop were amazing The shrimp cocktail was delicious The service was also very good The only negative comment would be that the atmosphere was not what we would have liked The room was tavern style and did not have any windows Considering how beautiful the setting is we wish the restaurant had a more open feel and a view but the food was excellent although priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So impressed!Kerry3020Dined on 8/13/2014Dinner at 1796 was part of a spa package at Bedford Springs- so my expectations were low. Boy was I surprised! From my seared scallop App to my salad of baby spinach and raspberries and the finale of one of the best filets I have ever had, I was blown away. Don't miss this gem if you are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Blackened ribeye was the best I've ever had, my wife enjoyed her steak also. Prices were quite high but acceptable for quality of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, average foodStephiebear05Dined on 8/7/2014We ate here while staying at the resort. Authentic, historic ambiance and excellent service are the restaurant's strong points. The food, however, was just average. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his bone-in ribeye, but I have had better NY strip. The chef's herb infused whipped potatoes were dry and heavy and not impressive, to say the least. Really enjoyed the signature grilled artichoke on the side and the wedge salad with a flavorful bleu cheese dressing, though. May or may not return if we are in the area again but would recommend it for a fine steakhouse in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Always love the food here. The ribeye is to die for!!!!! Others in my family really love the filet. I wish they would include a real side dish or salad with the meal instead of making you pay i.e.: 6.00 for a baked potato and 9.00 for a salad on top of the already high prices.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodie58Dined on 8/4/2014The filet of tenderloins were perfect as were the side dishes. I thought the dessert menu was not very creative and limited. I ordered the cupcake.... Which was after all, just another cupcake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Our experience at 1796 was wonderful. We were there for a romantic dinner late in the evening. We were assisted by Mike with drinks and recommendations for courses. The meal was well paced and the dishes were delicious. We did not save room for desert though. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014We have visited numerous times and have never been disappointed. Great steaks, great service and great experience. We love 1796.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Dinnerwitty1Dined on 7/26/2014Really enjoyed the food and the service. The atmosphere was nice, however, it was beyond noisy. It was so loud I had a difficult time speaking with my husband across the table (and no, I am not old!). Even our waiter acknowledged how loud it was, as he kept having to repeat himself. Not sure if this is typical for this restaurant, but it did take away from the intimacy we were looking for.
- NoisyfrequentdinerDined on 7/26/2014The noise level was off the charts, neither the waitress or ourselves could hear each other to place our order. The food was not "TOP CHEF" level. I had better steak meals with a nicer presentation at Long Horn Steakhouse. The service was fantastic. I would only recommend it for a very special event that you didn't mind putting down about $75 per person for a meal, and then only if there were only a few people in the restaurant. I expected better for such a upscale restaurant. Anyone can do a salad, shrimp on ice in nice looking bowl, seriously is that the best you can do. Whipped potatoes tasted like instant.Special Features:
- Dinner in the 1796 roomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner in the 1796 room. The food was excellent and the service was spot on. The meal was expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.BlackSnakeDined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic. However, the dinner was ala carte, and the main dishes (strip steak and lamb) came before the sides. Throughout dinner, a baby was screaming intermittently but continually in the relatively small dining area. I would patronize the restaurant again, but, particularly given the upscale prices, I would hope that they develop techniques for handling problem children.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceStacDined on 7/18/2014Excellent service & food...don't hesitate to go! The staff was attentive & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014Wonderful food and waiter has excellent understanding of food choicesSpecial Features:
- A wonderful celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014We stayed at Bedford Springs for the weekend and preferred the atmosphere at the 1796 to the Crystal Room. Our server Lisa was fabulous, very knowledgeable about the menu and wine, very engaging and a fun personality. My husband and I had the fish special with garden fresh vegetables.. Very good. The others in our party had steak or chicken and enjoyed their meals as well. The evening was delightful!Special Features:
- LuxuryKVnurseDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I were staying at the Omni for a taste of luxury, and we certainly got that at this restaurant. My husband said his steak was the best he had ever had, and that is saying a lot... He is very particular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soWineanddineDined on 7/11/2014For the most part the food was good and our waitress was attentive. Few complaints - this is to be the high-end dinner option at the resort. All the doors should be closed so the live music isn't interfering with your intimate setting; you don't have high-caliber wines for the price you're charging and if they are they're ridiculously over-priced; if I order my beef med-well please don't push the chef recommended med and then bring to me at med-rare; turn the AC down - I was freezing and most importantly, change your dress code. This was the most casually dressed high-end restaurant I have ever seen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at "best"DisappointmentDined on 6/28/2014Reservation was for 8:45pm no waiting. My wife and don’t splurge so maybe my expectation was too high. But, given the price and reviews? I ordered blackened ribeye (medium) the wife 12oz filet (medium). Rideye was slightly over cooked, filet was completely under cooked came out rear. Sent back twice. After the 2nd time it was over cooked!! 2nd time it was placed on the grill on one side and sat there for a while. Half the meat was like eating beef jerky. 1 would think a new one would have been made. Given the price of the meat this was an extreme disappointment! The restaurant did not charge us for my wife’s meal. Offered us desert as well. At a minimum this should have been done. The side dishe were the best part. Overall DISAPPOINTMENT!!Special Features:
- Good Filet, overpriced and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014The steak was perfect, however I could barely hear my daughter when we were talking. The shrimp cocktail was good, but overall, the food was very overpriced and the service was slow.
- pafoodieDined on 6/20/2014Our party of four ate at the 1796 Room this past weekend while staying at the Bedford Springs Resort. One couple was from Manhattan and the other from the Philadelphia area. The 1796 Room rivals any top restaurant in either of these cities. The food was absolutely delicious, presentation beautiful, and staff excellent. Our order was NY strip, bone-in ribeye, salmon and shrimp. All unreal! Also, the "chefs infused whipped potato" -- the best ever! as a side note.... loved the HUGE tablesSpecial Features:
- 50th anniversary dinnerAlwaysHungryDined on 6/20/2014We had a party of 5 for my parents' 50th anniversary dinner. I had pre-ordered a dozen roses and called the concierge about 3 hours in advance to be sure they would be on the table when we arrived. They were and my mother was just thrilled! We enjoyed a lovely experience with terrific food and excellent service. Our reservation was for 6pm on a Friday night and the room got rather loud as other groups came in, but we enjoyed ourselves and were happy we didn't choose the more formal restaurant in the hotel. This was a memorable evening for everyone. Highly recommended when you want something nice but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnergreatfoodDined on 6/17/2014We were there to celebrate our 25th anniversary. The staff was outstanding and we had a great time. The food was awesome and we enjoyed the entire evening.Special Features:
- Cant wait to go back!chefatheartDined on 6/2/20145 star service and food. Highly recommend the veal chop. Dine later and enjoy a drink afterwards while touring the hotel on your own.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnershanny2714Dined on 6/1/2014My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary here and it was absolutely amazing. Food and service were wonderful!!! Michael was our waiter and was a fantastic server!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Trip Back in TimeGr8tgmomDined on 6/1/2014The ambience of this restaurant takes you back 200 years to a simpler time. This is a "steak place" even though there are other options. Four of us had strip steaks -- two of the four were overcooked and had to be redone and the others verged on being overdone. However, the server was happy to have them redone and the second time they were perfect. The Caesar salad was okay. but the fires with truffle were amazing. Sides were a la carte which made the meal a little pricey. Overall the meal was good, but I have had steak dinners equally good for less. This is one of two main restaurants at the Bedford Springs Resort and I think the best of the two.Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceNight0utNoKidsDined on 5/30/2014Our experience at 1796 was nothing short of wonderful. Our server, Michael was informative, personable, and charming. Michael provided insightful and descriptive explanations of each item that we inquired of. The items that we chose, came to our table cooked to perfection. Portions were generous, and pleasing to the eye. In all, the 1796 provided a memorable romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DS24VIPDined on 5/27/2014Waiter service was good and salmon and scallops outstanding. However, the receptionist/hostess was very poor. Hopefully it is usually much better. We arrived and after a few minutes wait, the hostess took our names and went to look for our reservation on her computer. While she was there she answered two phone calls, at least one of which was someone wanting to make a reservations. She spent about 8 minutes on the 2nd call before going back to check our reservation. We believe the persons calling in should have been asked to hold the minute two it took to check our reservations and seat us. The room was very noisy and difficult to carry on a conversation. We ate another meal in the Tavern downstairs - Excellent and very quiet.Special Features:
- The following 404 reviews are from the 1796 Room at Bedford Springs reviews archive.
- Great food!PaulaVIPDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant's friendly staff and excellent food make for a wonderful dining experience. The menu is a la cart, which can be pricey, but the portions are generous. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steakanniv13Dined on 5/19/2014My husband and I went to Bedford Springs for our Anniversary. We at at 1796 and the waiter recommended the steak. It was the BEST steak we ever ate. Had a crunch on the outside and melted in your mouth on the inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just went for DinnerSabatofoodDined on 5/17/2014Stopped off on way back to Pittsburgh. Ate at their other restaurant last time, this was just as good. Food was well prepared and unique. Good wines. So full didn't have dessert. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love 1798!Kori22VIPDined on 5/16/2014Love the amazing food! Really love how they are known for their meat dishes!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a hotel restaurantveffVIPDined on 5/15/2014Perhaps I'm a food snob, but I find food in hotels is usually not the best. The grade of meat (rib steak) did not seem to be the top of the line. The spicing on the rib steak was overdone for me. The duck was good. It was tasty, but the cut was like a Costco special. The root vegetables were undercooked (in my opinion). Service was fine. The way the tables are set up was very nice. The setting was fine.Special Features:
- Special dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/2014Charm of an old Inn restaurant with lovely antiques and outstanding ambiance. The dinner menu selection was great. We really enjoyed the seafood tower and the Caesar salad was FABULOUS. Dinners are bound to come away with lasting memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A step back in timeJohnVIPDined on 5/5/2014A great chop house in a Colonial setting at the Bedford Springs Hotel. What a gem! Six of us ate there and had wonderful meals. Steak, scallops and family style vegetables to die for! Thanks for a wonderful evening. They even delivered our dessert later to us in the library!Special Features: