1796 Room at Bedford Springs
2138 Business Rt 220
Bedford, PA 15522Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
1796 Room at Bedford Springs
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bedfordspringsresort.com/dining/1796_room.asp
- Phone: (814) 624-5610
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Saturday - 5:30 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Konrad Meier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from 1796 Room at Bedford Springs
Sure to be included among the Mid-Atlantic's most celebrated steak and chop houses. Enjoy prime beef, veal and fresh seafood paired with exceptional wine and spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
1796 Room at Bedford Springs - Best Restaurants in Bedford ›
1796 Room at Bedford Springs reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)romantic (44)fit for foodies (35)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (5)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Eat at the Tavern instead.ahphilaVIPDined on 11/25/2014My food was indeed delicious, but the setting is dreary - no windows, hard Windsor chairs, wood floor with no carpeting, low ceiling. The wine list is a joke. Bottles that can be had for ten bucks in the PA State Store system are marked up to $45. The cream of mushroom soup was awesome, and my filet was delicious, but at this price the setting and wine list should be more luxurious.
- Food was outstandingdabatlDined on 11/22/2014Chef definitely knows what he is doing by blending the different items and flavors found on each dish. Service was impeccable, yet this is what you would expect when paying these prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Shrimp Scampi I have ever had!!Nurse1975Dined on 11/21/2014I have never had shrimp scampi that good - usually too much garlic - but this had such a wonderful taste - instead of tasting just garlic I tasted the shrimp. Great wine list. Disappointed that I could not get just a glass or carafe of a Riesling. All in all - phenomenal place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelissaDined on 11/18/2014Our experience at the 1796 was outstanding - from the atmosphere, to the food, to the service. We were celebrating something special and the casual yet upscale feel of the restaurant was perfect. It was the best meal that we've had in a while and we'd love to come back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bedford Springs Enjoyable DinnerTeeBusterVIPDined on 11/17/2014I took a group of 7 of our Board members to a pre-meeting dinner at 1796 and was not disappointed. Our service was attentive and the server well educated, the food, across 5 different choices was properly prepared and very enjoyable. The wine list was diverse enough to allow adequate choice and was not wildly overpriced. It is a real pleasure to be able to stay within the resort when doing meetings and have a first class dining experience. Don't miss the Frontier Tavern for a pre or post dinner (or both) cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoKidsNightOutDined on 11/14/2014We love it at the Bedford Springs! The food is wonderful and the service is second to none. It makes for a very nice night out without the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular mealTomkellDined on 11/10/2014The ambiance of the 1796 Room is excellent - intimate, historic, candlelit. The steaks that Chef is turning out here are undeniably delicious. Beautiful char on the outside, cooked to perfection on the inside - juicy, tender. Do not bother with a sauce (although they are good too) - just not necessary for such beautifully prepared meat. DO have the creamed spinach - it was superb. I was glad that we weren't lured into having the soup or wonderful looking salads that I saw on our neighbors' table - I would never have had room for my steak. Our server was excellent - efficient and attentive. We felt just a bit rushed, but that won't stop me from returning when next we find ourselves at the Bedford Springs Resort. The food is that good.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceGinger57Dined on 11/8/2014My husband and I celebrated our 12th anniversary at 1796 and we received excellent food and service. We ordered the seafood appetizer tray that was filled with lobster, crab legs, jumbo shrimp and tuna. It was unbelievable. We followed up with the veal chops and various sides which were cooked to perfection. Even the drinks were awesome. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousLetDownBy1796Dined on 11/6/2014This place was very pretentious. The resort itself is fantastic but this particular restaurant was a let down. For one, they have couch tables, where a two-person couch is oddly pushed up against a table and the only way to get in and out of your seat is to move the entire table, it just didn't feel right. Also, many of the tables are set up for two people, which is fine but instead of positioned across from one another, the seats are right next to one another (think one person sitting at 12 and the other person sitting at 3, instead of 12 and 6). As a result, my wife and I found ourselves about 10 feet from someone sitting at a couch table facing one another. I was really uncomfortable throughout the dinner. I would not recommend!!
- Noisy groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014We enjoyed our two dinners in the 1796. We can't think of anything that requires improvement. The only unpleasant part of our second dining experience was a group of very loud and obnoxious people. They should have had their own dining room -- their noise level was so loud we could hardly hear each other.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The best place to eat at Bedford springs. Plesant atmosphere good service and high quality food.Special Features:
- KPJPDined on 10/16/2014We had a wonderful meal and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squandered GiftChipsDined on 10/13/2014The 1796 dining experience was wonderful - again. Food is great and service attentive without being intrusive - and that is a good thing! : >)) However, there was a group of 6 or 7 people at the corner table who were loud, rowdy and intrusive. It is a good thing to celebrate, but it is sad when it is done to frequent pain for their neighbors. They no doubt spent a lot of $$$, but they left an unpleasant memory. Two couples caught up with us at breakfast the next day and shared their agreement. The night before we had a totally pleasant experience in the Crystal Room. We will return, but we will visit the Crystal, not likely the 1796. You CAN request reasonableness. It's your business! Don't lose it!Special Features:
- Best Steaks in TownMbJbDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I enjoyed the food so much that we went back twice during our stay at the Omni Bedford Springs. The food is exceptional, in particular the steaks, the wait staff is very accommodating, and overall it was a fantastic dining experience. We highly recommend that others who enjoy an exceptional meal go to this first-class restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Food...Service A Little SlowconnoisswhatDined on 10/11/2014The food at 1976 was spectacular. The Quail was very good, along with the 20 oz bone-in ribeye. Everything about our dinner was great, except maybe the service. While the service started out great, halfway through the meal the promptness of the server severely dropped off. We fought through empty water and wine glasses, but overall I would recommend the restaurant for the food experience. Eerything was well seasoned and very well put together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFishVIPDined on 10/4/2014Everything about 1796 was wonderful -- food, service, atmosphere. A must if you are staying at the Omni Bedford Springs or visiting the area.Special Features:
- Magic Experiencedirtman426Dined on 10/3/2014Annie and I couldn't be happier, came across this place while on a conference, Im normally cautious with hotel restaurants We were absolutely amazed at the quality of the food, the service and the ambiance. A must stop if in Bedford PASpecial Features:
- Dining GrandeurBeen2AFewDined on 10/3/2014Had an experience to remember from the seating (shared a high back sofa) to the service - treated like the only patrons - to the food...quality & presentation were unbelievable. Every detail was handled perfectly. Menu offers an expansive assortment & dessert was outrageous! Peach & blackberry crumble with Galliker's vanilla ice creammmmmmmmmmmmm.Special Features:
- 1796 Very NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/2/2014It was very hard to have a conversation with my friend without leaning forward over the table. The room was very noisy thanks to a group in the corner. Once the group was finished it was a bit easier to talk. The bench seating seemed nice for couples side by side (when they weren't all looking at their cell phones!) The peach crisp was delicious. Waitress had to keep apologizing for running behind. If we go back to eat there, the tavern looks like a better choice for us.
- So pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/2/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit. Booth/couch wearing:Both my husband and I had to user the pillows as a "booster" seat, which then made the table height ok. Room has terrible acoustics, so ask to be as far away from any groups (over 4 people). A couple actually left before ordering because they were stuck next to a group of 7. (What is it with these 40-50 y.o. Guys who seem to confuse fine dining with tailgating?) Food was superb. I had pork t bone; husband had mushroom soup (wonderful) Caesar salad (light on dressing, even for my tastes, but as true to a Caesar as you can be without raw egg) and chicken. Also a peach/raspberry crumble. Entree portions huge. Service (Lisa?) efficient, friendly not over-bearing, so perfect.Special Features:
- Great fall getaway!pengmanVIPDined on 9/30/2014We were very impressed with not only the great service but the excellent food as well. From the warm home made bread to the delicious prix fixe menu of soup, salad, steak and dessert, every single bite was better than the next. The steak was cooked "medium" perfectly. I was able to substitute the cream based mushroom soup to the beef broth that was not included in the set menu. The chef's mashed potatoes was phenomenal and a "must have" side dish! The space is not too small with low ceiling and can get noisy as we sat by a table with a large party, but overall it is very cozy and romantic. We will definitely make it a point to come back and revisit this wonderful place. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantAmyLVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is in an historic hotel and has a lot of character. The steaks we ordered (ribeye and tenderloin) were amazing and prepared perfectly. They had a crusty(ish) seasoning and were very tender inside. The sides are big enough to share, including the baked potatoes. I passed on the dessert but they sounded scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelerLove2eatDined on 8/27/2014The food and the service was top rate as was the ambiance of the 1796 restaurant. Would recommend it to anyone who wants a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bailey1240Dined on 8/24/2014While the food and drinks were great for our dinner. The noise level was extremely high and very uncomfortable. I kept waiting for a train to come through. The staff must have a difficult time working under these conditions. When considering the price we were paying for food and beverages I would have expected more of a comfort zone. Our over all experience was not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Beautiful place, good food but over priced. AccommidatingSpecial Features:
- Classic diningBiltmoreGirlDined on 8/17/2014Our meal at 1796 Room at Bedford Springs was outstanding! From the attentive service to the cozy, but not cramped, dining room - we really enjoyed our time there. The food was delicious! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayGrapeescapeDined on 8/15/2014Had the best dining experience we have had in this restaurant. Large groups were in private dining room which made the dining room experience so much better. Great job with the steaks. My wife loved her filet with blue cheese.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/13/2014We stayed at the Bedford Spring omni Hotel The restaurant came highly reccomended The steak and veal chop were amazing The shrimp cocktail was delicious The service was also very good The only negative comment would be that the atmosphere was not what we would have liked The room was tavern style and did not have any windows Considering how beautiful the setting is we wish the restaurant had a more open feel and a view but the food was excellent although priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So impressed!Kerry3020Dined on 8/13/2014Dinner at 1796 was part of a spa package at Bedford Springs- so my expectations were low. Boy was I surprised! From my seared scallop App to my salad of baby spinach and raspberries and the finale of one of the best filets I have ever had, I was blown away. Don't miss this gem if you are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Blackened ribeye was the best I've ever had, my wife enjoyed her steak also. Prices were quite high but acceptable for quality of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, average foodStephiebear05Dined on 8/7/2014We ate here while staying at the resort. Authentic, historic ambiance and excellent service are the restaurant's strong points. The food, however, was just average. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his bone-in ribeye, but I have had better NY strip. The chef's herb infused whipped potatoes were dry and heavy and not impressive, to say the least. Really enjoyed the signature grilled artichoke on the side and the wedge salad with a flavorful bleu cheese dressing, though. May or may not return if we are in the area again but would recommend it for a fine steakhouse in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Always love the food here. The ribeye is to die for!!!!! Others in my family really love the filet. I wish they would include a real side dish or salad with the meal instead of making you pay i.e.: 6.00 for a baked potato and 9.00 for a salad on top of the already high prices.Special Features:
- Great foodFoodie58Dined on 8/4/2014The filet of tenderloins were perfect as were the side dishes. I thought the dessert menu was not very creative and limited. I ordered the cupcake.... Which was after all, just another cupcake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014Our experience at 1796 was wonderful. We were there for a romantic dinner late in the evening. We were assisted by Mike with drinks and recommendations for courses. The meal was well paced and the dishes were delicious. We did not save room for desert though. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014We have visited numerous times and have never been disappointed. Great steaks, great service and great experience. We love 1796.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 424 reviews are from the 1796 Room at Bedford Springs reviews archive.
- Saturday Night Dinnerwitty1Dined on 7/26/2014Really enjoyed the food and the service. The atmosphere was nice, however, it was beyond noisy. It was so loud I had a difficult time speaking with my husband across the table (and no, I am not old!). Even our waiter acknowledged how loud it was, as he kept having to repeat himself. Not sure if this is typical for this restaurant, but it did take away from the intimacy we were looking for.
- NoisyfrequentdinerDined on 7/26/2014The noise level was off the charts, neither the waitress or ourselves could hear each other to place our order. The food was not "TOP CHEF" level. I had better steak meals with a nicer presentation at Long Horn Steakhouse. The service was fantastic. I would only recommend it for a very special event that you didn't mind putting down about $75 per person for a meal, and then only if there were only a few people in the restaurant. I expected better for such a upscale restaurant. Anyone can do a salad, shrimp on ice in nice looking bowl, seriously is that the best you can do. Whipped potatoes tasted like instant.Special Features:
- Dinner in the 1796 roomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner in the 1796 room. The food was excellent and the service was spot on. The meal was expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.BlackSnakeDined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic. However, the dinner was ala carte, and the main dishes (strip steak and lamb) came before the sides. Throughout dinner, a baby was screaming intermittently but continually in the relatively small dining area. I would patronize the restaurant again, but, particularly given the upscale prices, I would hope that they develop techniques for handling problem children.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceStacDined on 7/18/2014Excellent service & food...don't hesitate to go! The staff was attentive & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.