1226 36th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.1789restaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 965-1789
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Open for Sunday Brunch on Easter and Mother's Day.
Closed Christmas Day and July 4.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Samuel Kim
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from 1789 Restaurant
Sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Chef Samuel Kim’s contemporary seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious summer dishes. A modern twist on classic desserts by Pastry Chef Ryan Westover.Continued
2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence; Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular; DiRona Award Winner; 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine.
2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence; Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular; DiRona Award Winner; 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
1789 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
1789 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
327 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (264)romantic (216)fit for foodies (188)notable wine list (119)neighborhood gem (118)good for groups (27)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not a big fanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2014I went here for an anniversary dinner with my girlfriend and overall we didn't really enjoy our meal. There were two things that I thought were good. The scallop appetizer was cooked well and was very tasty. The little "free" chocolate squares at the end of the meal were soft, sweet and yummy. Unfortunately, everything else was just not good. Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge salt lover, and I love salty dishes in general. With that said, the Monkfish was much too salty. There was salt IN the fish like it was marinated in salt then wrapped in salty pancetta. I didn't taste particularly good either so we didn't finish it. The bone in pork chop tasted like salty ham you would eat at thanksgiving, but without the nice honey flavor. It was way too salty and blah tasting to bother finishing. I have to admit to sending it back to get it cooked all the way through. Medium rare pork is just dangerous in my opinion, so maybe it's just not a dish for me. The fried oysters were not my style, but they had a very interesting and different taste. I guess I'm not a big fan of creme fraiche, and it's my fault for ordering it. I'll just have to say that my palette is not experienced enough to eat fried oysters bathed in foam, and it could appeal to a more sophisticated palette. This could be a great dish to the right person, but for me it made me feel like I was eating the sea foam that accumulates at the fringes of the beach that everyone tries not to step into. Again, this is just me. The Morrocan mint tea, tasted exactly like the Tazo refresh tea I drink regularly. It was really good, but it tasted like Tazo tea. The service was excellent during our dinner. The complimentary bread, tea and chocolate were a nice touch. Free valet parking was also very nice.
- Anniversary dinnertwilighter1Dined on 11/23/2014My wife and I ate at 1789 to celebrate our anniversary. A perfect setting! The dining room is very elegant and the service is attentive without being intrusive. I had a hard time deciding among the many intriguing menu items. Settled on the short rib entrée which was delicious. My wife had a fish item - also outstanding. Complimentary valet parking makes the visit easy. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a terrific experienceMikeVIPDined on 11/22/2014We went there for my birthday dinner and the restaurant/food/service did not disappoint....cozy by the fireplace...lovely service....interesting amuse bouches and a great Napa Valley wine....we will be back again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1789: one of DC's best special occasion placesMellowMelDined on 11/21/20141789 never disappoints. The food, service, and ambiance are top of the line, which has always been the case with 1789. We were celebrating birthdays on this particularly occasion, and 1789 helped to make the evening a festive one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic - would give 6 stars!!!CavalloLoco22Dined on 11/21/2014Fantastic food, wine and service made for an unforgettable anniversary dinner! The food was outstanding. Our waiter was very attentive and even after picking one of the lower-priced wines on the list (which was, by the way, excellent), instead of his recommendation, the service continued to be outstanding and the same way we would have had if we had ordered the $$$ bottle. They acknowledged our anniversary by giving us a card and a copy of the menu. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 11/21/20141789 provides a lovely evening and dining experience. The service from the valet to the coffee impressed with attentiveness beyond expectations. I look forward to many more fine meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch!DCnativeDined on 11/17/2014We had a party of 9 for a business holiday dinner and 1789 did an incredible job of providing top notch service and excellent food and wine. Every course was well presented, innovative, and mouth watering. The waiters were attentive and helpful. I would recommend 1789 to anyone wanting the very best in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Georgeotown Gem, Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014While we enjoyed our meal at 1789, we were incredibly disappointed my the service we received. Our waiter was not only rude, but ignored us most of the meal. He was completely unhelpful when it came to recommending items on the menu. If fact, when we asked him to describe the short ribs, he simply replied, "It's beef." He seemed to have no grasp of the menu whatsoever and proceeded to ignore us even after we ordered a very expensive bottle of wine. I would recommend this restaurant, however you take the risk of potentially getting the same awful waiter we were stuck with. In contrast, there was another waiter in the same dining room who was outstanding. He gave detailed menu recommendations, provided historical background on the restaurant. and was incredibly attentive. He went out of his way for his tables and make sure they had a wonderful dining experience. Something that envious to watch from our table across the room. I spoke to the manager upon finishing our meal, and he urged me to contact him via email. I have reached out to him, and he is yet to respond. Suffice to say, 1789's customer service is lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Numerous visitsJakeDined on 11/16/2014The superlatives are many. We love dining here; children always want to return to celebrate their birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 11/15/2014Delicious food, great service! Our servers were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haute CuisineJKJDDined on 11/14/2014The food quality is excellent, but for my taste there is too much "haute" and not enough "cuisine". The red snapper was delicious but the portion seemed to be not much bigger than a postage stamp.Special Features:
- Best Meal here in memoryTom3Dined on 11/13/2014With their new chef they have taken the restaurant to a new and excellent level. I have been going to this place for 45 years and this was the best meal I have ever had there.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasionswan814Dined on 11/13/2014Great for a special occasion or dinner if you don't care about price. Awesome food and wait staff. Expensive without being too pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/13/2014The staff at 1789 were very helpful and especially accommodating dealing with special dietary needs. Food quality excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 11/11/2014Everything from the wonderful menu to the expert service made the evening a truly stellar experience.Special Features:
- Great SuggestionBermudabyeDined on 11/9/2014This was the best restaurant in Georgetown and was well deserving of its accolades. The best duck breast.Special Features:
- Still the best in DCAndrewVIPDined on 11/8/20141789 continues to offer the rare combination of delicious and beautifully presented food, old-fashioned and courteous service, and a gorgeous ambiance. There is no better restautant in DC for a special evening of fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/8/2014One of the few restaurants that provide the high level of food, service and atmosphere that use to be expected in the fine dining arena. Thank you for such an lovely experience!Special Features:
- Not as tasty as before.LovetoeatVIPDined on 11/7/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in DC. However, I notice that the food was not as tasty, lacking the kick, as a month ago when I came here. What I loved about food here was the simplicity of the presentation, but the taste was spot on. This time, the same dish came with lots of things as if the chef tried too much. I also noticed that the name of the chef is different l, so that probably explained why the food isn't taste the same as before. I will still patronize this restaurant, but won't be as often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for itsudosuDined on 11/7/2014The White Truffle Risotto was incredible, the ambiance was great, and the service was impeccable with the sommelier making excellent recommendations and suggesting a delicious wine pairing our evening. By far the best dining experience I've had in DC, and we'll definitely be back again soon.Special Features:
- expensive, good food, small portionrobertadcVIPDined on 11/7/2014Not particularly inventive cuisine. This is one of the those traditional Washington restaurants, that really has reputation, location, and history as its main drawing points. The meal was good, but one of our diners went home hungry. I found the lamb dish to be good, but not great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Great ambiance, good food, reasonable service, moderately expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1789 Still a Classic Dining SpotDLR1VIPDined on 11/4/20141789 is a classic dining experience. It has been around DC forever it seems. It, however, is quite pricey and definitely not a value. On the other hand, for a special occasion it remains a special place to go to celebrate. The food is very good, but the quality is not quite up to some of the newer outstanding food experiences that have come to Washington in recent years.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dining experience!jtierDined on 11/3/2014The restaurant staff could not have been more welcoming and attentive to us. We were there to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was a rather hectic night, as there was a group of 12 seated in our dining room. Aside from that, we received excellent service (we did have to ask for a second glass of wine!) and my wife received a candle on her dessert, a birthday card from 1789 and a scroll of the night's menu - very nice touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor qualityMikeDined on 11/3/2014Steak tough, open wine served old and tasteless, lackluster service.
- Best everOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Title says it all, great service , better food and perfect for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary ChoiceJoeSimoDined on 11/1/2014Some of the best food we've ever had in the area, with very good and expedient service backed by lovely ambiance. A very nice find for our 5 year anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- Needs a spring clean, an overhaulFoodeeDined on 11/1/2014Feels old, musty. Lacks energy. Uninteresting plates, a lot of "brown" food. Unattentive/overwhelmed servers.
- Ginger4LuckDined on 10/27/2014Great restaurant. We were made to feel very special on this evening. Celebrating a special birthday and they could not have done more to make it very special. The food was excellent in taste presentation etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!DakotaKidDined on 10/26/2014I would not have found this restaurant without OpenTable--so thank you OpenTable! The service was attentive but not overbearing. The food was well prepared and well presented. The prices were fair for this type of establishment in Georgetown. We will return next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Thirty Seven Years of ServicePinPinDined on 10/25/2014Very good location; taste of food exquisite but different; great culinary experience; great service; attractive decoration/ambiance; history/tradition, visited like 37 yrs ago, glad to have comebacked; ample menú offering, different/unique; respectful valet parking attendants; special well behaved clientele (only one minor disruption for a brief time)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigal1Dined on 10/25/2014We had a perfect night. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, the food delightful. The waiter was excellent. The night went as well as I had hoped. A wonderful restaurant for a special occasion or just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it!!chekeshamichelleDined on 10/25/2014We just had a great tim . Food was excellent. Service was fabulous. Ambience was cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in the District.pickyoneDined on 10/24/2014Inventive and sumptuous food in a historic setting. The wine list is not extensive but boasts a thoughtful range of quality and price points from around the world, and the sommelier is very knowledgeable. Very good service. Totally an experience for gastronomes in a city not known for its cuisine. My wife and I were dining with a couple from New Orleans who know great food, and even they were impressed. The restaurant is expensive but in this instance, you get what you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1789 DisappointsGwendolynDined on 10/23/2014When we first started going to 1789 in 2011, the menu was farm-to-table, original, and wonderful. It was our go-to neighborhood place when we were in the mood for a quiet, excellent meal. Unfortunately, those high standards have given way to a menu that promises much more than it delivers, which is mediocre food dished out in abundance and mismatched with high prices. In a town where great food is increasingly available, 1789 has taken a step backward. The service is fine, but less attentive if you don't order a good bottle of wine.
- so beautifulklaifimustDined on 10/21/2014The food is delicious, from seasonally appropriate amuse-bouche to dessert. But what really sets 1789 apart is the service: hard to find in this town, they specialize in intimate, personal, and quiet attention to every detail. Rarely have I experienced kinder or gentler treatment -- a sheer delight!Special Features:
- A well and trusted establishmentJaketheSnakeDined on 10/19/2014We went here for a birthday celebration. The folks at 1789 knocked it out of the park. From the manager, to the bartender, to the servers, everything was perfect without being overbearing. This is not for the T-shirts an jeans crowd. Would recommend it highly and we will return again.Special Features:
- Surprise Birthday for GFesvee79Dined on 10/18/2014The staff made my girlfriend feel special on her birthday. It was truly a great experience, intimate surroundings, the food was great and the ambiance was romantic. She had a wonderful time! I would definitely recommend 1789 to anyone looking for a great restaurant to dine at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningTheresDined on 10/18/2014Dinner was a great experience at 1989. I cannot give the whole evening a higher recommendation. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally a great placedcdiners3Dined on 10/18/2014We were so tired of trying new restaurants in dc and paying so uch money for food we could have made better at home. This restaurant really goes out of its way to make each diner feel special. We got complimentary hot cider before our meal and little desserts with our check at the end. The wine and food were great. The server took extra time to tell us about the history of the place and the ambience was special. We will definitely go back for a special occasion. The dessert was bland, but I appreciated that it was homemade.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.