1226 36th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.1789restaurant.com/
- Phone: 2029651789x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Open for Sunday Brunch on Easter and Mother's Day.
Closed Christmas Day and July 4.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Samuel Kim
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from 1789 Restaurant
Sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Chef Samuel Kim’s contemporary seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious summer dishes. A modern twist on classic desserts by Pastry Chef Ryan Westover.Continued
2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence; Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular; DiRona Award Winner; 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine.
2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence; Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular; DiRona Award Winner; 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
1789 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
1789 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
316 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (256)romantic (214)fit for foodies (174)neighborhood gem (111)notable wine list (109)good for groups (22)late-night find (10)hot spot (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Surprise Birthday for GFOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The staff made my girlfriend feel special on her birthday. It was truly a great experience, intimate surroundings, the food was great and the ambiance was romantic. She had a wonderful time! I would definitely recommend 1789 to anyone looking for a great restaurant to dine at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Dinner was a great experience at 1989. I cannot give the whole evening a higher recommendation. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant we know!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014From the first rate valet parking men to our greeter, and through the whole visit, all the staff were first rate! The food was beautifully presented, unique yet not too unique, and delicious. The little meal touches were very nice. The waiters were top notch; friendly and yet very professional. The atmosphere was so nice, so relaxing, and comfortably elegant. 1789 is the best restaurant we know!Special Features:
- Quiet and wonderfulscoopDined on 10/16/2014The kitchen is turning out some amazing food. Our group of four was delighted with how fresh and flavorful everything was. Service was friendly not cloying -- just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very much worth itBluejayDined on 10/16/2014Sauces, soup and creative food were all attention getters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Georgetown RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/14/2014We love coming to 1789. Very consistent excellent food and service. Great history and ambiance. We look forward to our next visitSpecial Features:
- Great RestaurantMikeDined on 10/13/2014We go here for special occasions and are never let down. 1789 has great food, a great wine list, a great staff, and is upscale but not stuffy.Special Features:
- Nice overall, but food inconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/11/2014Celebrated anniversary at 1789 recently, and had a nice overall experience. Great, if not a tad slow, service. Apple cider and poached egg starters were fantastic. Mixed green salad was a bland pile of lettuce. The veggies and grits that accompanied the NY strip were great, the steak itself was average, and a little over-cooked. The popsicles for desert were awesome. We were happy with the experience, but there is room for improvement.Special Features:
- Never betterPhilipDined on 10/10/2014Go to the 1789 every time I visit D.C. It only gets better and better. That it has maintained such high quality, the very highest in fact, in all categories, over these many years never ceases to amaze me. It is a place of pleasant respite that never fails to delight and rejuvenateSpecial Features:
- GEORGETOWN GEMcalgarydinerDined on 10/10/2014Planned on visiting Washington DC so in advance looked at a few restaurant reviews and came across 1789 restaurant. Personalized service, cozy setting and great food are the main highlights. The amuse Bouche was a beautiful cider to welcome fall, and our starter the butternut squash soup was delicious. As our appetizer we also had the scallops which were perfectly seared. Our entrees were the Icelandice cod and also the halibut. Every bite was to die for. Our service was above and beyond. Do not miss this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceNoVaDiningDined on 10/10/2014I have dined at 1789 several times over the years and have always had wonderful dining experiences, including this most recent occasion. The food was delicious and the presentation was well done. The dining room was intimate and despite being full still felt private. The wait staff was attentive at the right moments. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All but dessert.NinkyDined on 10/9/2014We had friends in town who were up for a splurge. From the complimentary taste of warm apple cider,the food didn't disappoint until we got to dessert which was only OK, nothing special. I had the branzino which was perfectly cooked and tasty. While dinner was expensive, we didn't find it ridiculously so for Washington and the quality. We would return again for a special occasion or if we were with guests who wanted that warm, tavern-like atmosphere.Special Features:
- Stephen ThomasTommoDined on 10/9/2014We found this restaurant in a Washington guidebook and liked the history behind it. It looked like the perfect choice for a special evening out. We were not disappointed. The ambience was so very special, nothing like we have experienced previously, and for that reason would recommend the 1789 very highly. There are various small dining rooms there which means you are guaranteed a special, romantic feel. Food excellent! One tip however, check your bill carefully, we were charged for two glasses of wine that we didn't have, although this was immediately rectified with genuine apologies, this added quite a bit to the bill as it isn't the cheapest restaurant. A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014I wanted something special for my 5th anniversary and 1789 was that place. We were greeted at the door with staff telling us "Happy Anniversary". Our menu had a special message for dedicated to us and and the end of the night a card just for us. The food is out of this world. Chef Kim and his staff are magicians. I recommend 1789 to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Georgetown Landmark wowsPapaeagleVIPDined on 10/8/20141789 has been part of the dc scene for over 50 years and has never disappointed in the 40 years that I have patronized. Food selections are always up to date well prepared and presented. Service is perfect, attentive, but never obtrusive. a particular nod to the bartender who seems to have every order at the top of mind.Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary Dinnerjamesev86Dined on 10/7/2014I had mentioned that it was our anniversary when making my reservation, but I did not expect them to roll out the red carpet for us like they did. I don't want to spoil any surprises but it lasted from from the moment we were greeted until being escorted to our car at the end of the night. Our waiter was fantastic, providing us the time to celebrate together but also making sure we always had something to munch on. My girlfriend has a gluten intolerance, and the waiter was very diligent in ensuring she was aware of any gluten and suggested alterations to dishes. The food was very, very good! We both were commenting how the portions were just right and loved everything we tried. The atmosphere was very conducive to a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryDined on 10/6/2014The experience was absolutely breath taking. The food was excellent and the service top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ELEGANT DINING AT ITS BESTCRAMDDined on 10/5/2014The food, ambiance, and service more than met my expectations. They say, "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression." The valet parking was our first impression and it was a good one. We were greeted by name as we walked through the door. The staff was polite and attentive. The food was sumptuous. We were wished a good evening as the doorman closed the car door when we left. We will be back and we will recommend the 1789 Restaurant to our friends. It was elegant dining at its best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Civil war memory night!JoolsjDined on 10/5/2014A delightful venue for a charming experience of Washington Georgetown hospitality the food was delicious , on the expensive side but well worth for a one off treatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnival of the SensesDelightedDined on 10/5/2014After seeing many highly rated reviews, we celebrated a friends birthday at 1789. We had a wonderful dining experience from start to finish. The entire staff was welcoming and extremely attentive. Every bite of food we ate was outstanding. The balance of favors delightful. I would recommend this to anyone who really enjoys food cooked and flavored to perfection.Special Features:
- DannoDined on 10/1/2014A dining room reminiscent of 1789 Victorian ambiance with a modern take on foods, nice presentation. One of the best in Georgetown, jacket recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcomed Updates to MenuDinerno212Dined on 9/30/2014I had been to 1789 a long time ago and while the food and service was excellent, the new menu is a refreshing and welcomed change to the classic 1789 of a decade ago. The food and service were excellent, and my family had a memorable time.Special Features:
- Very good food outstanding serviceTJDeoraVIPDined on 9/28/2014Took my wife their for her birthday. Service was outstanding. Food was to expectations for the price / reputation / etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Special OccasionMoonbeamMcSwineDined on 9/26/2014I was charmed when a door was immediately opened for us, and we walked into a lovely, old restaurant. We were greeted by a couple of hostesses and told our table was ready. We were led upstairs and were served an amazingly good dinner. Service seemed to be perfect. It was expensive, but I think well worth it. I found only one glitch, and it is a tiny one. I had made a reservation for 2 people. Our "ready" table was set for 4. The extra place settings were, of course, immediately whisked away, but I did not get the warm, fuzzy feeling that the table had been set just for us. That being all I can complain about, I hope to return for another dinner soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding servicekbd1960Dined on 9/26/2014My spouse and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at 1789. I'll start with the positive - the service was outstanding and the atmosphere is warm and intimate. However, the food was average. I had the Heirloom Tomato Salad. It arrived with a "foam" substance all over the plate which adds nothing to the flavor, and in fact, along with the other sauce(s), results in a liquid mess that disguises whatever taste the tomatoes might have had. My husband had the cod for his main dish and found it to be "tough." I had the pork, and while the pork was fine, the sides were uninspiring. The staff worked very hard to make our evening pleasant with personalized menus and other nice touches, but the food didn't compensate, especially for the price.Special Features:
- Not impressed for the costmyopinionDined on 9/26/2014So, my husband and I went here, based on the washingtonian magazines's review. It is a quaint place, with very old decor, well suited for Georgetown. The service was excellent! There seemed to be 2 attentive persons serving exc. per person dining there, so you never had to flag anyone down. The gripes only really are with the food. There is NO WAY that a cucumber gazpacho with tiny bits of crab meat can cost $18. The fois gras was excellent, and reasonably priced in my opinion. The main course was so-so, the vegetables with the rabbit were cold and hard. The chick peas served w/ the lamb were hard, dry and had a coating on them of an unknown origin, unappealing. $18 for 1 piece of cheese?!? Just no. $250 should have been $125- not worth it.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the experiencechurst21Dined on 9/26/2014The service here is excellent and the complementary parking is nice in Georgetown. Most of the food was really good that our table ordered. I had a few pieces of shell in my appetizer and one person said her calamari was overcooked. Otherwise the appetizers were fantastic. For mains the guys had the pork and lamb three ways and raved about both. The ladies had the halibut and sent it back. It was really chewy and seemed overdone. They made both dishes again, but it seemed to be the cuts of halibut that they were using - apparently the cuts they had received were quite densely packed. The ladies didn't end up eating the fish but cleaned their plates of everything else. 1789 didn't charge for the fish. Dessert was ok, not fantastic.Special Features:
- PerfectionDI123Dined on 9/25/2014There is nothing negative to share regarding a truly wonderful dining experience. 1789 does everything right!Special Features:
- 1789 Restaurant in GeorgetowntommyvDined on 9/23/2014Nice little restaurant in a good neighborhood. Staff is exceptional. Warm ambiance. I gave it a 4 star because food doesn't merit the high prices. The menu is very limited and not too exciting. Expect to pay more than you want.Special Features:
- Birthday in GeoirgetownPumpkinEaterDined on 9/22/2014Went with my wife for my 60th birthday. This is a gem of a restaurant. Wait staff (from the bus boys to maître d) all fantastic. Excellent range of dishes which vary by what the chef can get fresh that day. Went on a Monday night in September and it was fairly quiet. But of the seven table occupied, five were celebrating birthdays. This is a great special occasion restaurant. I went within a short period to a high end steak house equally priced, and the overall experience and value for money was far greater at 1789.Special Features:
- BacSiDanDined on 9/21/2014One of Washington's finest restaurants. It had been a few decades since my last visit and, hard to believe, even better than I remembered from many previous visits. Just a lovely, elegant place with excellent service and outstanding food.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014My wife and I went to 1789 for the first time to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, and we couldn't have possibly had a better experience. Attention to detail was the order of the day (greetings from the staff , a personalized menu, a hand-written card wishing us well). The chef prepared an absolutely amazing meal and every part of the meal was prepared perfectly and the portions were just right. Each course was full of flavor and every bite enjoyable. A perfect setting for a celebrating a special occasion to be be sure; we left feeling like it was worth every penny. Thank you for the wonderful evening and we look forward to coming back!Special Features:
- Fantastic Dinner!McLeanMamiDined on 9/20/2014Love at first bite. Great service, stupendous mixed drinks, wonderful wine list but the food it's what makes this a special place. We had scallops, rabbit and fish, all made to perfection. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great experienceKhm44Dined on 9/19/2014We had an amazing experience here due to the great food, wine, cocktails, service, and atmosphere. New favorite dining in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestCroadieDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I had thoroughly enjoyable night at 1789. Service was just right, wine selection was pretty good as we only wanted a half bottle and the selection was limited, however the food was near perfect. Beautifully presented, usually a contemporary twist on a classic, like a coddled egg with a medley of mushrooms, scallops seared and served with a consommé of watermelon etc. this was one of our best dining experiences in North America...Special Features:
- katethefoodDined on 9/17/2014We have dined over the last few years at least 4 times at 1789. each time was a delicious experience. cocktails made very well, food delicious they now have a new chef they are touting from NYC and I'd say the food wasn't as great as it has beenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not be happier!ChelseaHDined on 9/14/2014We came here for my birthday dinner with my family and was extremely pleased. The restaurant was welcoming and every staff member from the hostesses to the wait staff were so friendly. The food was outstanding!! I am so pleased and will be back soon!Special Features:
- Perfect in Every WayGeorgeDined on 9/13/2014Birthday tradition for my wife. Everything is always flawless. Most highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience everFoodguruDined on 9/12/2014My boyfriend and I went to 1789 to celebrate my birthday. We were treated like ROYALTY - honestly it was the best dining experience I have ever had. It is very expensive but worth every penny!Special Features:
- A little off.......OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We have dined at 1789 periodically over the years, and have enjoyed some wonderful meals there. This time, greeters at the door were welcoming and engaging. Service was attentive, though our main server did not once smile or attempt to make us feel welcome. His approach to his job bordered on surgical! A nice touch was the appearance of a watermelon appetizer. We all ordered different selections at our table, and generally they were deemed delicious except that the hangar steak, ordered by two of us, was well- flavored and prepared but tough and gristly. There were no other beef or lamb entrees offered on the menu, a disappointment, but perhaps because 1789 was still offering its summer special at $45. Hopefully next time will be betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.