1226 36th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.1789restaurant.com/
- Phone: 2029651789x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Open for Sunday Brunch on Easter and Mother's Day.
Closed Christmas Day and July 4.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Samuel Kim
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from 1789 Restaurant
Sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Chef Samuel Kim’s contemporary seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious summer dishes. A modern twist on classic desserts by Pastry Chef Ryan Westover.Continued
2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence; Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular; DiRona Award Winner; 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine.
2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence; Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular; DiRona Award Winner; 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
1789 Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
1789 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
317 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (257)romantic (206)fit for foodies (160)notable wine list (108)neighborhood gem (94)good for groups (22)great for brunch (11)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- 1789 - A Great ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant is a perfect place to mark special occasions. I noted it was our anniversary, and 1789 presented us with menus that referenced the occasion, including our names. Terrific food; lamb is notable. Wine list runs the gamut from reasonable to pricey - your choice. Wait staff was attentive and very pleasant. Several little touches added to the mood, such as small compressed watermelon squares with jalapeno peppers served as a palate cleanser. This is a reliable place with great ambiance. Ask for one of the first floor dining rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014EVERYTHING WAS VERY WELL DONE. ONE PROBLEM WAS THE AMOUNT OF SALT AND SPICES IN EVERY COURSE INCLUDING DESSERT.Special Features:
- Not a fine dining restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is far too large to be a true fine dining restaurant. The service is as uneven as the food. From the large number of college students milling about the door to the Tombs (the bar underneath the restaurant) to the diners in t-shirts and polo shirts, nothing about this restaurant indicates fine dining. Corduroy and Marcel's are what 1789 should be and is not. It was a profoundly disappointing dining experience.
- Very Classy RestaurantBGDCDined on 8/30/2014We chose this restaurant because my grandmother was visiting and wanted something that was "white table cloth, quiet, warm ambiance, in a historical building, with great food". 1789 fulfilled all these demands. Our waiter was wonderful, atmosphere was spot on, and food was excellent. If I had to say something negative (which it's really not) is that 1789 is located in close proximity to Georgetown University, so there were large groups of college aged kids walking around. Again, that was not a significant issue! Great experience!Special Features:
- Good serviceYasiser2891Dined on 8/29/2014Great food and good service. Really pricey but great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional hot spotAlishaDined on 8/29/2014Must eat spot for Georgetown. Very accessible for those who appreciate the historic spots. The wine list is pretty extensive and gives a good range from the everyday Oregon varietals to the higher end (ask for the reserve list if you know what you're looking for). Your server may be knowledgeable about wines, but didn't see anyone sporting the somm pin. Best to have someone in your group who knows wines to pick for you. Servers are very personable and professional, but don't expect "napkin placed on your lap" service. The three course dinner menu option is great for a quick dinner, but won't necessarily appeal to those foodies with a really refined palette. Overall, great opportunity to catch up with a dear friend in a great venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite with attentive serviceDCGuyVIPDined on 8/29/2014We were looking for a quite resturant wtih good food and service. 1789 did not disappoint. We were with folks we had not meet before and wanted to be able to make sure our group of 6 could hear each other without having to shout. Turns out the food was outstanding, service was attentive with a touch of humor and the ambience was just right. Free valet parking is a plus as well. Resturant is a bit pricey, so know you are out for a special dinner.Special Features:
- Used to be our favoriteSelbyVIPDined on 8/29/2014When Anthony Lombardo was chef, 1789 was our favorite. While the new chef is ok, 1789 is now non remarkable. The menu is no longer exciting. 1789 under Anthony Lombardo was exceptional starting with the bread/biscuits with variety of butter/spreads followed by unique salad such as the brussel sprouts salad, his squid ink pasta itself was worth our 6hr drive and each main course was perfection. 1789 used to be our gold standard that we compared other restaurants to. The pastry chef also been replaced. No one in our table of 5 enjoyed their dessert, in the past the desert put the finishing touch on perfect dining experience. It is sad that Anthony Lombardo is no longer at 1789, until he returns I would not recommend 1789.
- Still a ClassicRobertDined on 8/28/2014Returned to 1789 for the first time in years and was not disappointed. It was actually better than we remembered. Old style classic elegance.Special Features:
- Birthday celebration!1789Dined on 8/28/2014From beginning to end, the celebration was acknowledged in a surprising way! First our valet, server, menu, dessert, etc. The atmosphere was historic and elegant. The food was presented exquisitely well with small unique details by the chef and waiter. Joyful to the eyes and especially to the palette!Special Features:
- Beautiful and classyMsAceDined on 8/26/2014The menu had several interesting and unusual items, but the rabbit and hanger steak were very disappointing. The accompanying vegetables were delicious and the desserts were outstanding. Presentation was quite exquisite. Look (hard!) on the menu for the summer special: 3 courses for $45--a tremendous bargain. Bathrooms are up a steep flight of stairs.Special Features:
- Not as good as it seemsjay1929Dined on 8/23/2014Service only acceptable but far from good. Maitre D was not to friendly, giving the idea that he was doing his job just because he had to do it. Food not so exquise as expected, good plate image but miss of flavour, with small portions! When I say small portions they were realy small ( I lieve in Europe and I‘m used to small french portions, but with a much better .....everything
- Been There Done ThatJonathanDDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were really looking forward a romantic night at the restaurant. The ambiance was dimly, candle-lit, quiet and quaint, and the Service was exceptional; Professional, Friendly, and Over The Top Good. The food, on the other hand was less than expected. The food combinations were interesting, however they just didn't match in flavor, and the portions were also disappointing. Two small cubes of lamb were delightfully presented, only to consist primarily of fat. The New York Strip was the size of a petite filet, and didn't taste like quality preparation. The Peach Pie was dry and tasteless. Overall, it wasn't a very good value, but the ambiance and service offer a unique dining experience that's difficult to find any more.Special Features:
- Good food and a warningSandraDined on 8/23/2014To start with, there is no elevator; if you cannot walk up 2 flights of stairs to use the restroom, stay away. There should be a warning on their site. Only restaurant I have been to that has this issue. Apparently they have been "grandfathered" in, so no need to serve the whole population. Other than that, although the portions were small, the branzino was excellent as was the duck. The dessert, rocky road, I believe, was too dense. Service was excellent as well, but I took a start off for the lack of elevator. There was actually a good number of young couples as well as seniors, and everyone was dressed up. Jackets are strongly suggested, or required, not sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMEdwardsVIPDined on 8/23/2014From the amuse-bouche (compressed watermelon with candied ginger jalapeño that blew us away with how much flavor it had) to the desserts, this was a phenomenal meal. The duck was perfectly prepared and was the standout, in our opinions. Our service was fantastic as well. Yes, this is a special occasion spot for most people, but we have paid as much at restaurants where we left disappointed. You will NOT be disappointed here. We're looking forward to the next time...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Perfect venue for our wedding anniversary - romantic and elegantSpecial Features:
- In GeneralDeanDined on 8/22/2014Food presentation and tastes were superb. Service was attentive but light enough to enjoy the privacy.Special Features:
- A talented ChefOdmarFilhoVIPDined on 8/21/2014Terrific food, and excellent service. Sam the European-trained chef, is obviously talented - perhaps even beyond what the 1789 clientele can appreciate - and makes easy-to-grasp recipes that are very contemporary but prepared under classic french technique. The Lamb Porchetta is delicious and unprecedented. (Note to self: come back, eat, repeat)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and soothingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/20/2014Three friends and I had dinner at 1789 on a Wednesday night. It was such a delight to have delicious food, elegantly (but not stiffly) served, in a very attractive setting where we could carry on a conversation in normal voice. This is so rare in DC these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/20141789 is a classic gem of fine dining. The ambiance, service, and deliciousness are top notch. Perfect for celebratory dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedalwayseatingoutDined on 8/17/20141789 is one of my favorite restaurants, for the ambience & the food, but this last visit left me very disappointed. I had the Branzini fish entrée. The fish was very dry & tasteless with no seasoning or sauce. It came with a mushroom puree. It was good but not much basically, just a design on the plate. More mushrooms in the roaasted corn side would have been better . I do not like spicy foods at all, so I am not suggesting adding peppers to flavor it, but some herbs, butter, lemon would have helped give the fish more flavor & cooked for less time, so it would have made it more moist. Some nice creamy garlic mashed potaoes would have been a nice addition.Special Features:
- Classic Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014After three trips to the Inn at (Little) Washington, Virginia, we tried 1789 for an anniversary dinner. We were pleasantly surprised at how favorably 1789 compares. If you are tired of the noisy, crowded, garish, "latest thing" restaurants in downtown D.C., and you want a place to enjoy a quiet, reserved dinner, 1789 is an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Elegant diningBetsyVIPDined on 8/16/20141789 was wonderful! Excellent food, wine, and service! I had asked for a booth or banquette ibecause we brought our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter; they had one by a wall w many pictures that kept our grsnddaughter entertained. The staff were wonderful with her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use improvementWineandvistasVIPDined on 8/16/2014Let me start by saying that I was pleased with the service from the moment I arrived at the restaurant to the moment I left the restaurant. The interior is true to a rustic and very 1789ish style, but with upscale, white tablecloth table settings. Because this is supposed to be a four-star restaurant, the bar is raised. While the food was very good, I thought the combination of textures ill fitting. I also was bored with each of the three courses by the time I had eaten half of the course. There was not enough interesting combinations of flavors and textures to hold my interest. Again, if the price tag hadn't been as high, I wouldn't have been as picky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.NamelessVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was amazing... the service was perfect. This was my first time and the restaurant and it will not be my last.
- Excellence in DiningjrapplesDined on 8/15/2014We had a fabulous dinner at 1789 - superb service, gourmet food and elegant ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance !!!MhernandezDined on 8/14/2014I took my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday. Everyone wished him a happy birthday. His menu was personalized for him. Food was AMAZING!!!! We were sited in a beautifully romantic room. Service was exceptional!!! It was a fantastic dinne. My boyfriend says he has never felt so special at a restaurant beforeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2014Always a pleasure to dine at 1789. Excellent service and the new chef offers the high quality we have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still consistently excellentDCJoshVIPDined on 8/12/2014I always go for their summer special, as otherwise it's just too pricey. But it's always a consistently excellent meal.Special Features:
- Our entire experience was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2014The food was amazing as was the service and the ambience. We chose to go to 1789 even though they weren't participating in restaurant week and we were so glad we did. They had a great summer special that was even better!Special Features:
- Absolutely superbRob4FoodDined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful dinner there on a Sunday night. The food was exceptional and expertly prepared; the staff was very attentive; and the ambiance was classy and I enjoyed the dining room we were assigned - it was somewhat tight, but I really did not notice my fellow diners and the noise level allowed for an ease of conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/10/2014I have always enjoyed dinning at 1789. The food is amazing, as is the service!Special Features:
- 1789 RestaurantBEAUVIPDined on 8/10/2014A great place to have a quiet celebration - the food, service, ambience is always top notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one white wine by the glass?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was beyond great except for unforgivable limited choice of wines by the glass. Is it that hard to have a second choice of Chardonnay? No excuse for this. With the high menu prices it's hard to understand why we need to buy two bottles to get quality as one diner drinks red and the other white wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't start as a special occasion,DonnaVVIPDined on 8/9/2014...but it became one. In the many years since our last dinner at 1789, it has lost the stuffy feel, leaving unmarred quality and class. Pressed watermelon and candied jalapeno - possibly best amuse-bouche ever. Green gazpacho creamy and flavorful, elegant smoked salmon. I had lovely rockfish, my husband had the vegetarian "marrow." Here is a lesson to chefs everywhere on how to feed vegetarians with creativity and style. Service was simply impeccable. We applaud the local sourcing, including Virginia wines. Only quibbles? Closely spaced seating, and they put shellfish and/or meat on many fish or veg dishes. When will this end? I imagine they would have accommodated a request to omit them, but you don't know till you ask (we didn't).Special Features:
- Springbrook1Dined on 8/9/2014A restaurant with good food, attentive service, and a quiet atmosphere is hard to find. No wonder 1789 continues to draw diners.Special Features:
- the 1789 never disappointsFredGarvinDined on 8/8/2014We had a terrific meal and experience here...this is what 5-star dining is all about. Very welcoming staff and attentive to our needs. And the food is so good you may not want to share a bite with your dining partner.Special Features:
- Love this placeClifton12VIPDined on 8/3/2014We took our Australian visitor here for dinner and she enjoyed the evening a lot! No rushing, attentive service, delicious food all contributed to a lovely evening!Special Features:
- past visitornoneDined on 8/3/2014service was outstanding. food was not as good as it was in our past visits.Special Features:
- Superb Dessert4DessertLoversDined on 8/3/2014Your peach dessert and the zucchini bread were outstanding. Your scallops were the best that I've ever eaten. Our birthday guest was quite pleased with your restaurant.Special Features: