17 at The Sam Houston Hotel-Houston
1117 Prairie St.
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
17 at The Sam Houston Hotel-Houston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesamhoustonhotel.com/dining/*17
- Phone: 8322008994x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 6:30 A.M.-10 A.M.
Saturday-Sunday 7 A.M.-11 A.M.
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11 A.M.-2 P.M.
Monday-Saturday 5:30 P.M. - 10:00 P.M.
Sunday 5:30 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French American
- Executive Chef: Jason Bayle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: All in-house catered events are served food prepared by award winning restaurant *17. Personalized menus can be created for any budget by our Executive Chef for parties of 8 to 215. Our on-site personal event specialists will help organize and arrange every detail of the food and beverages, contact us to learn more and set up a menu tasting at 832-200-8803. Please visit our website for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: An ideal ambiance for up to 30 located just behind our main dining room, our private dining room features flat screens with built in AV capabilities, complimentary WiFi and hard wired internet as well as direct phone lines for teleconferencing needs.
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Monk 8322008807x
- Entertainment: Pre-dining cocktails available in The Sam Bar featuring plasma screen entertainment and outside seating. Park and walk to the ballpark with both pre/post game coverage of Houston Astros. With its relaxed vibe and attentive staff, the Sam Bar is the perfect location and a great venue to "warm up" for dinner at *17.
- Cross Street: San Jacinto
- Public Transit: Located conveniently downtown at the corner of San Jacinto and Prairie Street in Houston's most happening zip code, 77002, and only steps away from the Main Street Light Rail Transit Train.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking when dining. Ask your server for ticket validation.
A word from 17 at The Sam Houston Hotel-Houston
*17 is dedicated to offering guests bold, unpretentious food while focusing on the freshness, seasonality and origin of the ingredients. Since opening, the restaurant has received outstanding local, regional and national recognition including: Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Gourmet, Town & Country, Travel+Leisure, USA Today and “Best New Restaurant” by Esquire. Texas Monthly rated #1 Where to eat now, “I like just being in *17, with its glittering crystal lights and sleek chocolate-and-white color scheme set off by froufrou red wallpaper on one side of the room.”Continued
Restaurant may be contacted at
832 200 8994
Restaurant may be contacted at
832 200 8994
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
17 at The Sam Houston Hotel-Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance2.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- The absolute worse experienceJosieDined on 8/25/2014Did not have a chef. Only a su chef prepared our dinner. Out of pasta, served plain quinoa, served popcorn costco like shrimp and I returned my meal. Asked for medium well steak and came back medium rare. Manager was very pleasant and adjusted our bill and offered to drive to and from us to our concert. She said they are in the middle of revamping the restaurant. Suggestion is close and reopen when you have it together!
- DisappointedHoustonEatsDined on 8/15/2014Small dining room with a large tv, slow service, limited lunch menu, and a noisy floor buffer in the lobby didn't contribute to a very satisfying lunch.
- The following 485 reviews are from the 17 at The Sam Houston Hotel-Houston reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/1/2014The room was great (except for the TVs--what's the point?). I liked the menu. The rosemary foccacia was nice. However, the tuna Nicoise that I ordered was missing both the green beans and the olives and was overcooked. This, after waiting about half an hour for the food when there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant. I asked the server about the green beans and he never addressed this omission. My companion's salad looked good but she said it was way overdressed (after she ordered dressing on the side). I really wanted to like 17 but will not be back.
- The place smells, the servicerippedoffVIPDined on 4/7/2014The place smells, the service is slow, the food is bad...
- Great TimeMelvinoDined on 2/14/2014It was quiet very nice wait staff and awesome food. I will most definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I celebrated the Valentine'sChaLexDined on 2/14/2014I celebrated the Valentine's day 2014 at the 17 with my love, and it was veryyyy romantic and the place was nice. The Waiter Oliver was so kind and I fell comfortable when i found out he was fluent in French as well! It reminded of France! I will definitely go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDL27VIPDined on 2/14/2014After dining here in 2010 and falling in love with the food and service, I thought it would be a wonderful treat for Valentine's Day. Unfortunately the food didn't live up to my expectations (it was a fixed menu this night) and the service was truly disappointing. We sat there with empty drinks and a non-bussed table for most of the evening. The small group for dinner was intimate and there were rose petals on the tables, so it was very romantic at least. Not sure we'll be going back anytime soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day MassacreK713Dined on 2/14/2014Booked for Valentines day after looking at reviews, majority were favorable, and proximity of concert hall. Our request for seating was honored and the ambience is lovely, very romantic. The food however, was terrible. Soup, greasy; the salad, although tasty was terribly presented. My guy ordered the same salad; his was lovely, mine looked liked they had thrown the ingredients on the plate. Not much of the 4 course meal was any better, though the creme brûlée was very tasty. Overall very disappointing, a waste of money.Special Features:
- A well kept secretPapamayoDined on 1/31/2014The Sam is extremely impressive and the Staff was top notch! We will definetly return soon! The best Filet I have ever had and my wife's Risotto was amazing. The personal touch of having a sedan take us to the Hobby Center and back was perfect. We won't stay anywhere else when we are downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Dinner with FamilyJulieDined on 12/25/2013We tried 17 with family for brunch on Christmas Day. I love the look of the restaurant; it is an intimate dining room, with only about 10 tables. The holiday decorations were lovely. Brunch buffet was laid out in the adjacent room. It wasn't very crowded. The service was excellent, attentive and friendly. The food was overall pretty good-- but not outstanding. The offerings on the buffet were fewer than I would have hoped. I would go again to try it on a day when they are having a regular dinner service. I think the romantic ambiance would be great for a date.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristmasByronDined on 12/25/2013Quiet - the dining area had been divided and a buffet was set up. The Christmas buffet was strange - an odd mix of foods, no gravy for the mashed potatoes and only a single dressing for the salad. There was a quiche, oysters, and a very different kind of benedict - not the usual and certainly not what you would expect for Christmas dinner.
- The chef decidedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2013Two of our table ordered risotto. When the entrees came out the waitress said, "The chef wanted me to tell you than we have ran out or rice so he made the risotto with barley'. No rice, no creamy texture, no warning. Given that we had an event to attend (and the other four members of our party had received their entrees) one of us excepted the bland barley salad and the other went without an entree. No wonder there was nobody else in the entire restaurant two Saturday before Xmas with the theaters right around the corner! This was our second, and last time, at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was okNot2impressedDined on 9/28/2013Service was very slow. I appreciate being allowed time to linger over my plates, and a leisurely meal keeps you from getting too full, but the dishes arrived very slowly here. The evening at the restaurant was slow as well with very few customers, so I don't understand the drag. The salad, appetizer and main courses were ok, but not fantastic. When we saw the apple pie on the dessert menu, we said,"Why not?" Although we would generally never order this at a restaurant. Unfortunately, although the presentation was fresh, the filling was anything but... Maybe the wrong variety of apples was used, or our fears that a canned filling was used are correct. Would certainly not order it again. Which won't be an issue.
- This was our second time eatingTwiceshyDined on 9/27/2013This was our second time eating there. Both times unmemorable. I feel like they try so hard, but just miss the mark. The offerings are limited and although the complexity isn't ignored, it is poorly executed. The food is not bad, I just don't believe anyone will return. We were unable to use a deal because it was restaurant wee so we did that and then came back a second time with our deal. Service was good.
- Very nice, but not greatBlarneyDined on 9/6/2013Very nice ambiance, and the waiter was very good. Good wine recommendation and a great table for a romantic dinner. Food was pretty good, but I would not call it excellent. Braised short rib was tender but just slightly dry. Salmon was good. Our dessert choice was questionable. Still not quite sure what it was...sort of cookie crossed with cake. Should have tried something different. The waiter knew us by name when we arrived which was nice...and my gf got a kick out of being called mrs blarney :) really enjoyed the waiters service, he was excellent. 50-50 on whether I would recommend with so many other great restaurants around.Special Features:
- Having a ME dayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013This was the perfect restaurant for a party of one that wanted that extra special attention and they did provide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic servicemsf3Dined on 8/11/2013We went there for HRW dinner prior to attending a show at the Hobby Center. Our server, Rodolfo, was excellent and recommended a delicious bottle of wine to accompany our table's dinner selections. The food was quite tasty and we all ordered different items to sample. I was thoroughly pleased with both the amount of food and the beautiful plate presentation. More props to Rodolfo: He must have heard us chatting about our recent engagement and brought us over glasses of champagne to celebrate - how sweet is that??? He also informed us that there was a complimentary shuttle from the hotel to the Hobby Center that we could use in order to avoid dealing with finding parking over there. Bottom line - food and service are great at 17!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit. . . And MissBardmeisterDined on 8/10/2013Amazing food. The chilled curried squash soup was one of the best things I have eaten this year. Miss the old dining room- feels like a hotel coffee bar now. What gives with the tacky flat screen TVs with static images of generic wine barrels framed as 'art'. Chef should find a better venue and service to match the level of the amazing cooking.Special Features:
- Before the showAnonDined on 8/9/2013This restaurant is very conveniently located for dinner before seeing a show or concert in the theatre district. We came for Restaurant Weeks and the food was delicious and the service impeccable. I would consider this restaurant classy without being stuffy or uptight. It's a fairly small place which keeps the noise down. As a bonus, we found out when we got there that the hotel in which the restaurant is located has a shuttle that will take hotel guests or diners to the theatre and back after the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedjosephDined on 8/8/201317 was a disappiontment. The portion sizes were unacceptable with the exception of the grilled peach salad. The soup was about 3 oz. The semifreddo was about 1 oz. The tile fish entree consisted of 6 bites (maybe 4 oz). The food lacked taste though the base ingredients seemed okay. The coffee was very good. The waitress was sweet but did not know much about the foods being served. The floor laminant had warped, so the floor surface was uneven and unstable which felt dingy.
- Hits & MissesjennascerrDined on 8/8/2013Chose to go here during Houston Restaurant Weeks, because I've had decent brunch here and I was interested to taste dinner. The 1st course was good all around and the desserts were extremely small, but VERY good. We were all happy with those courses, but the entrees left us all wanting more. My fish was slightly overcooked and dry, with no sauce and very salty. The lamb two other people had was also overly salted and the New York Strip another had wasn't seasoned well. It was the disappointment of the evening. We were all on the fence about going to dine here again. On the plus side, the service is excellent, the wine list is really expansive and the atmosphere is relaxing.Special Features:
- Delicious appetizer and dessert,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2013Delicious appetizer and dessert, entree as a bit tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2013We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at 17. We selected the fixed menu for Houston's Restaurant week at 17. Service and food were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not only was the food delicioustexaroseDined on 8/2/2013Not only was the food delicious and the presentation beautiful, but we were treated royally. We met the chef, who came by the table to be certain that we were happy with our meal. We will be back, and soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short ribs were deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013Short ribs were delicious and the brussels sprouts were the best I'd ever had. My husband enjoyed his rack of lamb and lobster bisque soup. Save room for dessert - we highly recommend the creme brulee trio!Special Features:
- Went there with old friendbacchusintxDined on 7/10/2013Went there with old friend from DC. Service and food were outstanding The space was quiet enough for a good long visit. We were never rushed and enjoyed the evening immensely. Will go back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday WeekendcfbiDined on 7/6/2013My husband treated me to a weekend in Houston for my birthday. Dinner on Saturday night before the theater was at 17. The food and service was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves exceptional food served by a 5 star waiter in a quiet atmosphere. What a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where Are the Old Chefs???OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2013The menu use to be so creative, exciting, and delicious; however, this recent visit in July has taken 17* off my go-to/recommendation list. The menu wasn't anything special, the lobster bisque was a bit runny for a bisque, and the sherry was quiet strong with a bit of alcohol not cooked off. The Sea Scallop and Shrimp was literally 1 of each over forbidden black rice, cooked well, and a passion fruit froth that didn't really heighten much of this "share-able" plate. The chops for the Rack of Lamb were quite small (1.5-2" diameter) and the accompaniments weren't all that impressive. The "Legendary" Braised Short Rib was dry. The brulee trio peach and vanilla were very good; however, the chocolate fell short by tasting like a pudding cup.
- Great atmosphere, decent food.foodie1234Dined on 6/29/201317 is an extremely beautiful restaurant and an amazing place to eat a special dinner. The menu is short and the food is not as delicate as one would expect but nevertheless a great Houston restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2013We celebrated our friends' birthday at 17 and the staff was so attentive! The food was delicious and we enjoyed it very much! It was clear that they had read the special request on our reservation. We'll go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why isn't this restaurant busier?shep77VIPDined on 5/21/2013Forget all the hoopla about the Mother's day brunch fiascoes experienced by other diners--whatever! This is a great restaurant and it deserves your patronage (a sentiment echoed in other reviews). On the other hand, the lack of clientele made for a quiet and civilized evening so I am not complaining. Halibut was perfection and the sabayon dessert is an incredible juggling act of warm/cold, sweet/tart, crunchy/creamy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food, the service andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2013The food, the service and the atmosphere were superb. Thanks for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Mother's DayChopsDined on 5/12/2013Went to the Mother's Day Buffet but found it limited in choices although acceptable in quality. Not what I was expecting at a $60 per person charge. There were vwry few guests present and so the staff began putting food away and rearranging tables an hour before the advertised close time and just a short time after we started. We had to rush to ensuree we were able to get our dinner complete before the food was removed.
- Our waitress, Tiauna, wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Our waitress, Tiauna, was fantastic. She was very helpful with the menu and a lot of fun. There were only 3 couples in the restaurant the whole 2 hours we were there. Not sure why I wasn't allowed a 6:30 seating time and had to go with 6pm. She made good recommendations on the food. The food was just there. Nothing spectacular to write home about. The filet mignon was overcooked. I've definitely had better food in Houston. They did comp us cheesecake and a thick bar of white chocolate since it was our anniversary. Too bad my husband hates cheesecake. The wedding party that was outside the restaurant was extremely loud. You hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the lobby in the restaurant.Special Features:
- This is a good "hotel" restaurant..MichaelVIPDined on 4/10/2013This is a good "hotel" restaurant... friendly staff, good food, good wine selection. Overall, a safe/good choice for business people in the area.Special Features:
- Went there for dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2013Went there for dinner and they where out of several items on their menu and it was not even 7pm. The restaurant was very small and not busy. We decided to only have drinks and go have dinner elsewhere.
- Good for a dress casual evening outmgbesqDined on 3/16/2013This was a nice find, and the overall experience is good. The restaurant is open to the foyer of the hotel itself, so *17 isn't wholly in control of its ambiance, but it wasn't too big of a deal. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Horrible lunch service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2013Horrible lunch service. The waiter forgot our entrees and gave us the bill early. Water refills was horrible. Waiter could not answer questions about the menu, did not bring us silverware and didn't clear the appetizers before bringing the entrees.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013The Ahi Tuna entrée was horrible. Tasted very fishy. We sent back and enjoyed a Rib-eye instead. The steak was good as well as the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very good few and very knowledgableRoyDDined on 2/16/2013Very good few and very knowledgable sommelier. The colorful backdrop at Alden also makes for a pleasant ambience.Special Features: