1637 at York Harbor Inn
480 York Street
York Harbor, ME 03911Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1637 at York Harbor Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.yorkharborinn.com/
- Phone: 8003433869
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Gerald Bonsey, CEC, AAC
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms, some with ocean views available. Accommodating parties of up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Casey Syvertsen 207363-5119x142
- Entertainment: Piano bar, calypso guitar/vocals and Jazz duo featuring Light Contemporary, Jazz, and Classics Wednesdays thru Saturdays.
A word from 1637 at York Harbor Inn
The York Harbor Inn’s recently renovated restaurant- “1637”, offers wonderful ocean view dining in a landmark historic inn. Upon entering the dining room, you are welcomed to the past, present and future in both atmosphere and culinary art. Our menu, featured in Food & Wine Magazine, emphasizes native seafood, creatively prepared and artfully presented, as well as casual, contemporary cuisine. Menu highlights include our gourmet Flatbreads made with our own smoked sausage or fresh lobster meat, Lobster Tempura, a Ploughman’s Platter featuring house cured meats and homemade sausage, a Raw Bar menu featuring fresh oysters, shrimp, and clams, Corn and Lobster Chowder and our locally famous Seafood Chowder, as well as the best in steaks and pasta dishes. Our ocean-view piano bar has entertainment many nights of the week and Sunday Brunch is served year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
1637 at York Harbor Inn - Best Restaurants in York Beach ›
1637 at York Harbor Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (36)special occasion (27)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (8)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- the view and the atmosphere!guypDined on 8/14/2014The view from this restaurant,and the general atmosphere make it outstanding.The seafood is excellent(we had the scallops) and the service was above average.We definitely will go back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014Good food & service. Worth a visit but consensus was to avoid the calamari
- FoodiesFoodiesDined on 8/7/2014Again, we had a great dinner and the service was outstanding. Kristen is very friendly and efficient. We will ask to be served by her again next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceAugiDined on 8/6/2014We will return! Definitely worth the trip from Hopkinton, NH!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Great food, great service! Had the Yorkshire lobster & mussels! Service was great! Seated by te window with an ocean view! At the end with the bill we got a small piece of homemade chocolate toffee that was out of this world! Love it there! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!MainelobsterloverDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I had a light dinner of Lobster salad and lobster roll, both were stuffed with a large portion of sweet,tender meat. The menu was very varied with choices for every taste..There is an early bird menu which is a 3 course dinner that is very reasonable.The server we had was very pleasant and the atmosphere of the dining room was also very nice. We will certainly go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterRedskevDined on 7/26/2014Came to get a nice lobster dinner and it was exactly what we were looking forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view at York HarborNomadDined on 7/24/2014Food was solid but view worth the price of admission. Great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiesFoodiesDined on 7/23/2014They served a lot of scallops and they were great. My husband had the early bird dinner, chicken picata and that was great too. The server, Kristine was very attentive and friendly. The only problem we experienced was that the bill was not right. The wine was cheaper on the menu and the dessert should not have been charged, since that goes with the early bird dinner. It was corrected immediately after mentioning it.Special Features:
- Love the view of beachPhyl1VIPDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I have eaten here a number of times and always return. We never had the flatbreads before but they were delicious --especially the lobster one. This had to be a fast meal and it worked well for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a historical settingFreyballDined on 7/12/2014Reservations were a snap. The hostess confirmed the OpenTable reservations are automatically processed by their dining room software. The setting is an historic Inn. The low ceilings and paneled woodwork set it apart. The bar looked cozy and nice for couples to have a romantic drink. The Saturday we went they had a guitarist playing. The food was good/great. Not a food critic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful and romantic setting!Jerseyboy22Dined on 7/6/2014Wonderful of presentation of Yorkshire lobster! Very romantic and scenic view. Easy to find with parking. Good value for price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedceg310Dined on 7/5/2014every where I go, the avalanche of farm to table restaurants have gotten me so spoiled that I no longer care to eat certain types of food... you know - proteins slathered in cream sauces, heavy cream whipped potatoes and boiled-within-an-inch-of-their-lives veggies...made from the venerable cookbooks of Betty Crocker... this is such a place... even if I could overlook this choice in menu prep there is no excuse (in my book) for taking fresh seafood and making it tasteless.. such a dissappointment.. but truthfully, the reason for the 1 star review is the blueberry pie... I feel good blueberry pie is good blueberry pie regardless of which school of thought the chef adheres... but this was gummy and stale. no excuse!
- Excellent RestaurantpaulDined on 7/5/2014Great food and ambiance in this very scenic Maine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathDined on 7/4/2014very enjoyable and the roast chicken was better than at home... I/we recommend dinner here for lots of diners looking for a nice night out with very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 45th anniversaryPapaDined on 6/20/2014Great food, overall wonderful experience. Would not hesitate recommending this restaurant. Great view of the harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/Reasonably pricedJTMississippiDined on 6/19/2014My wife and I dined at 1637 while on our recent getaway. We stayed at the York Harbor Inn, so not only was it convenient but it was a great choice. On Thursday night they offer their Early bird special all night long which is 3 courses for 18.95 ea. We enjoyed the three course Early bird which included a salad, the Brochettes of Beef along with a serving of mashed potatoes and apple crisp a-la-mode. we preceded this with the Artichoke dip.Special Features:
- Entertaining GuestsImamainerDined on 6/19/2014I choose the York Harbor Inn for dinner with colleagues visiting from the mid-west. We had a nice dinner. the food was very good, as was the service.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMarkDined on 6/7/2014Excellent dining experience! Food was delicious and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Went to this restaurant because we won a gift certificate to here. Ordered brochettes of beef and asked for it medium well. I was told by the waiter that if I wanted it slightly pink, I should order it medium so I did. The meat was red throughout. Even after a second cooking, much of it was still red inside so I didn't eat it. The waiter never apologized or compensated. My dinner did not come with a vegetable. The waiter initially ignored my choice for a sauce with the meat, my sundae came with nuts and waiter didn't ask if I could have them or wanted them, and my husband's Jamaican coffee was the worst he ever had. All this for a ridiculously high price. Certainly not worth it! On top of all that, we lost $25 on the gift certificate.Special Features:
- Could have been betterMarkDined on 5/10/2014The Pork Chop was under cooked and had to bring it back. Overall, the presentation of the food was not as stunning as we are used to. We eat here frequently and will continue to come here. Perhaps, just an off night for the cooking crew ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistantly goodkeithmVIPDined on 4/27/2014Food is always very good here, with a few exceptions. We started with the Wedge salad. Very fresh, with lots of nuts & dressing on the side, so you're able to put as much or little on as you choose. We also had the Brie salad. Very good mild brie on toasted French bread with dressings & such on the side. For mains we had the Lobster stuffed Chicken(excellent & moist) Richard had the Herb Chicken under a brick. Leg was a bit dry, but the thigh was excellent. My side of squash was really overcooked. The only issue really with the meal. We had a decadent Hot fudge Sundae for dessert, very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 279 reviews are from the 1637 at York Harbor Inn reviews archive.
- The food and wine were excellentGracieDined on 4/12/2014The food and wine were excellent and we received a yummy birthday cake. The noise rating is due to a guest a couple of tables over who was rather loud and boistrous, and wasn't the restaurant's fault. The live music in the bar just next to the restaurant was great with just the right amount of noise level. Very nice upscale accomodations. The only thing that my partner and I both noticed was the reaction we received from our waiter, after we had ordered. We normally split an entree because one is almost always more than we can each eat. He made a little face and it seemed we were avoided somewhat after that. His other tables around us (4) seemed to get more attention afterwards. Other than that, is is a lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic winter eveningjaglady14Dined on 2/8/2014We really enjoyed our evening. It was cold outside but warm and comfy inside the Inn. Food was excellent and Debbie was a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were 4 of us and weMargoDined on 2/8/2014There were 4 of us and we all had the pre-fix meal for $18.95 for 3 courses. You could choose from 5 entrees and each of us has something different and we all thought the food was excellent as well as the portions. Salad, entree and dessert. It was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish dish, steamed withziggyDined on 1/30/2014Great fish dish, steamed with fresh veggies in a mild broth. Excellent salad and ginger bread pudding to end the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solidKissyDined on 1/30/2014Delicious food, fantastic service and open mic night was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New England CharmJpanDined on 12/22/2013The York Harbor Inn was the perfect choice for a pre-Christmas brunch. The location is easy to find and very picturesque as it is right on the coast road overlooking York harbor and the Atlantic Ocean. The dining room is beautifully laid out with a gathering area near a massive stone fireplace. The waitstaff was very attentive and Bloody Marys were soon at hand. The brunch menu has multiple choices ranging from Eggs Benedict to a BLT Panini to Baked Stuffed Haddock. There are fresh, gorgeous oysters and grilled blueberry muffins. Fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee and special brunch cocktails are all delicious. The Eggs Benedict is offered vegetarian style atop a slice of tomato, or on a sausage patty rather than Canadian bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not consistently goodDemoDined on 11/16/2013Although the ambience made the York harbor Inn special, the food was just so-so. the boys said the seafood chowder was delicious, but the calamari was not good at all -- lukewarm and tough. The coffee was not hot, either. My chicken was very tasty and tender, but I wish there had been more sauce on the picatta to make it really good. The ice cream sundae, my husband said, was the best part of the meal. We wouldn't rush to go back.Special Features:
- Nice placekeithmVIPDined on 11/3/2013This is the second visit. It was very good overall. The Seafood chowder was excellent & full of seafood. My stuffed Haddock was very well prepared & had great seafood stuffing. Richard had the curry seafood. It was good, but in his case the curry was rather bland. Do offer to make it really spicy, some people like a spicey curry. The view is excellent. You see a nice view to the harbor. It was dark for us this time, but last time you really saw a great harbor view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/19/2013We were a foursome on Sunday evening. Service was very slow from the beginning with the drinks. Waitress had a lot of tables and was harried. No follow up tp see if everything was alright. Food was quite good, and I would dine there again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 year anniversaryMarkDined on 5/18/2013My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience and would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing servicebentleyjrtVIPDined on 5/11/2013We always love the ambiance at YHI and they have a great menu with truly something for everyone. The food is consistently good, but the service is usually consistently just so-so. I'm not sure if they don't have enough staff or if the staff is just poorly trained, or maybe a little bit of both. We will keep going back, but with the understanding that we aren't there for the fabulous service. That's really the only area that they need improvement on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was great. busy weekendSkipDined on 5/11/2013food was great. busy weekend so service was slower and the restaurant was a bit louder than usual. Still we had a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServicegarynhDined on 5/10/2013The Dinner Menu is extensive and gives you a varied selection. My wife chose the salmon dinner and I the baked haddock. Both were outstanding and would order again. The waiter, Nicholas, was very helpful and provided efficient service throughout the meal. The York Harbor Inn provides ample parking, a nice bar, and pleasant atmosphere. The ride to the restaurant is scenic. You can also see the ocean from the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placekeithmVIPDined on 4/7/2013We've driven by here many times & this time decided to stop in. It's a very old in..going back to the 1700's. It's nice to see real wood burning fireplaces, instead of all the gas fired ones you see now. As we had a late lunch, we really didn't go all out as usual. I started with a "petit" salad. Very nice. Only issue was the unpitted olives. I always worry about cracking a tooth when you don't know they are there.My friend,Ron(it was a Christmas present dinner)Had the main course only. He had the Scallops & "blistered" blueberries. It was very nice. The scallops were done just about perfectly.I had the Lobster Thermidor. It was very good, perhaps a little too much cheese. The Lobster was cooked just right, nice & moist. We'll return again.Special Features:
- It is a favorite spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013It is a favorite spot for us to design for a romantic evening... consistently find a great environment, hospitable servers, and magnificent views. Food is excellent and presented well.Special Features:
- it was a nice nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013We watched the Atlantic ocean, which was a third of our peripheral view, go dark as the earth rotated our evening together away from the sun. The landscape merged into a dull hue of blackness outside as our table grew warmer and closer. It was a perfect correlation with our enjoyment, our worries disappearing and our memories endearing.Special Features:
- The food was disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2013The food was disappointing. Too much butter and garlic was used on the vegetables and in general. The Moules were small and dry and the Mariniere sauce had not been well prepared, it had chunks of canned tomatoes which did not blend into the liquid.
- Overall this restaurant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013Overall this restaurant experience is very good. Nice ambiance, lovely setting, and food that most often exceeds expectations. We have had some uneven service -- sometimes a tad too casual -- but for the most part good. Occasionally an individual item on the menu will disappoint (smaller than expected portion, food served cold) but for the most part it keeps us coming back. Good variety to choose from -- fancy dining or casual night out.Special Features: