15 Exchange Grille
15 Exchange Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
15 Exchange Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.15exchange.com/
- Phone: 2077741595
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30AM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Entertainment: The Bistro supports a wide variety of local and nationally renowned artists with original rotating artwork. The Bistro is a proud supporter of Portland's First Friday Art Walk and the Portland Arts & Cultural Alliance.
A word from 15 Exchange Grille
Welcome to 15 Exchange Grille, Portland's newest culinary creation! Combining Mediterranean tradition with modern international flare, we cater to all senses and palates, with a wide range of unique dishes. Using only the freshes available ingredients and market catch, our menues change daily! With expansive upstairs dining, full downstairs bar, exposed brick atmosphere and rotating local art, you are sure to enjoy your experience. Located in the heart of Portland's Old Port!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
15 Exchange Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
- HORRIBLE - Worst restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012This was by far the worst dining out experience I have ever had. The bar was not stocked so someone that was sitting at the bar had to keep running out to get soda, mixers or wine that tables ordered. Many tables left because they were not acknowledged after about 5 minutes. Our server brought us the wrong apps twice and when we finally got our apps he forgot the spoon and took him 10 minutes to get (he was chatting with a friend who came in). He then asked us how the apps were and we said we didnt know because we didnt have a spoon. While we were waiting for our main course he came over and asked how we were and if we were ready to order. Mind you there was 1 other table there so he wasn't so busy that he forgot. I would never go back.
- Not for us...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2012We arrived late for our reservation and found the restaurant relatively empty. We were seated right away. We started to review the menu and were discouraged by what we found. Only 4-5 entries and a 5 - 6 appetizers. We felt like we were settling if we ordered grilled chicken or fish so we put the menus and left to find another restaurant. They need to add some variety and some unique items to their menu. It was much to limiting for our tastes.
- the drinks were good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012the drinks were good. The food was not so great. I had asked for a swap in the starch and it was noted on the bill but the chef did not comply. the risotto was warm at best and very dry.
- Food was moderate at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Food was moderate at best. Not a bad restaurant, service was good, but in order to survive in portland the food quality will have to improve greatly.
- It was around 8:30 when weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2012It was around 8:30 when we showed up and there was a total of 4of us in the restaurant. All the beer on tap was unavailable, and the server brought us the wrong steaks. Not a big deal but i wanted medium rare and ny girlfriend wanred medium. We didn't realize we got the wrongly cooked steaks as i ate my veggies and sides before digging into my steak, by then we realized she had mine and i had hers. Just something i thought would be easily avoidable. I may visit again but for the price i have many, many other favorites.
- laid back and slow...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012After repeated attempts to make reservations by phone, I finally gave up and did so by open table. When we arrived there were 6 other diners and our server took quite awhile to get to us. We noticed two couples who arrived after us left without being served. The service is slow, the food is delicious and the ambiance is fine.
- Think global, support local! :-)SD123Dined on 4/6/2012This is a funky little place located within Old Port. It's small and has a friendly vibe to it - the service guy was busy, yet very attentive, and the food was really very good!! I don't know if this place is having a hard time in this rough economy, but we would like to go back more regularly to support this small business owner. The prices, by the way, were so affordable that I wasn't anticipating a great meal. But it was TERRIFIC!Special Features:
- Small basic menu, expertly preparedwanderingdinerDined on 3/9/2012We went there in early March and they had a very limited menu (like 5 or 6 Appetizers and another 5 or 6 entrees. So much so, that we almost turned around before entering. But after getting rave reviews from a customer leaving the restaurant we decided to give them a try. There was one large table and another 5 or 6 two-top tables. The kitchen seemed to be run by one lone young chef, and the bartending and waitstaff consisted of one person total. We had the calamari appetizer, salads, the NY strip, and the Haddock, and all were excellently prepared. The waiter did make us aware that in the winter they are only open on weekends. He seemed to imply that during peak season the menu and staff is a little larger. Overall we were impressed.Special Features:
- Even though we arrived atAMMBDined on 3/8/2012Even though we arrived at 6:15, food and beverage items on the menu were not available; red pepper bisque, haddock dinner, Alagash White. Tommy was a jack of all trades that evening as he and chef were the only two employees present. This wasn't a 'bad' evening just not one that would make you want to return to spend $50.00 on a meal.
- I had heard good things andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2012I had heard good things and looked forward to our dinner. Unfortunately they only had two wait staff on for the entire restaurant. In addition the menu items differed from what was actually available that evening, seems they hadn't updated it. It also appeared they were running out of items and our reservation was at 6:30. I'd go again to give it another chance but would hesitate on recommending or taking clients.
- I was expecting alot more.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012I was expecting alot more. My shrimp scampi was above average but my husbands steak was tough and not cooked the way he ordered it. He ordered medium and it was more on the rare side. He struggled with the steak knife to cut each bite. It was chewy and could only swallow a few bites. My calamari on the other hand was some of the best I've ever had. The waiter was polite but had too much going on and passed our table several times, looked at the empty cocktail glasses, and kept on walking.
- Good Quality, no imaginationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2012With the reservation I expected to be in the upstairs dining room. Were told that was not possible and seated at a tall bar table in the first floor bar. Ambiance not bad with open kitchen and window to sidewalk. Ordered mussels and calamari for appetizer. Food was fresh but totally uninspired. Calamari plain breaded and served with garlic aeoli. Mussels OK, nothing special. Steak and Haddock Florentine for entrees. Again quality of food good, but no points for vegetable or seasoning. Medium steak came out bloody in center, offered to return to grill, then it came back well done. I was offered another steak, but companion had finished her entree by that time. The well done was tolerable. Nothing special enough to return.
- Disappointing. So many wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012Disappointing. So many wonderful restaurants in Portland, and sadly this is not one of them. Though the calamari appetizer was very good, the shrimp fettuccine was pedestrian. The server clearly did her best, which, in the context of expected restaurant service, was not good enough. Coffee refills had to be asked for more than once, and other requests had to be repeated as well. Though the prices were comparable to other good restaurants in Portland, the value at 15 Exchange Grill was sub-par. Given the many restaurant choices in Portland, I will not be returning to 15 Exchange Grill.
- They were short of help andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012They were short of help and busy, so service was slow. Server apologized several times, but we were not in a hurry and she kept her composure through out the evening. We all thought our meals were very good.
- Our experience is hard toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2012Our experience is hard to even categorize. The food was mostly adequate but the atmosphere was surreal. Oddities include: being called to change the reservation to a half hour earlier in case they "wanted to close and go home"; finding the wine we ordered was not available and ordering a different wine only to have the waiter leave the restaurant to go two doors down to buy the bottle; listening to other walk-in patrons being talked out of staying; and a very strange conversation with staff where we were informed that the owner didn't really want to have a restaurant... we left with the impression that it must be a front for something nefarious. Makes an interesting story, but not a restaurant I could recommend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012We arrived at our reservation time of 7:30. It is small-maybe 4 or 5 tables and none were available. No one ever asked if had a reservation. We were shown to the bar, where we sat for 15 minutes(w/o drinks) before the lone waitress advised us she had cleared a table for us. We moved to the table and sat there for another 10 minutes before the waitress finally greeted us, gave us waters, and menus-at which point she said she would give us some time... We finally ordered-an appetizer to share and our entrees. The food did come out quite fast. I had to remind the waitress we had an appetizer. She apologized and the app was brought out. We were the last patrons of the night-the chef argued with the owner in front of us. We won't be back
- This is the kind of placeckjohn88Dined on 2/14/2012This is the kind of place you have a soft spot for. I am going to assume its a relatively new restaurant and they are trying to work the kinks out. Huge bar, but sadly only one waitress who is also the bar tender. Not a large space so not so convenient for groups, but nice and intimate for dinner with that special pone. Food is amazing and service is a bit slow but very kind. I say give it a shot and make your own decision. The building was pretty cold so wear a sweater or go in the springSpecial Features:
- Excellent meal in very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2012Excellent meal in very nice atmosphere; waitress (Farrah) was alone, but worked very hard and took fine care of us.Special Features:
- I will give them another tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012I will give them another try but the night we were there it was understaffed and the food sat for quite sometime before we were served resulting in a less than hot meal. The filet was closer to steak tips than filet. The place has real potential and on a night with sufficient kitchen and wait staff it could be a much different experience.
- Needs some TwickingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012They were short of help that night but the waiter was very nice and gave us an extra drink on the house. Food service was very slow.They seemed to be struggling.They also need to wash the windows to make it look more inviting.
- Limited menu, but the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/4/2012Limited menu, but the food and service was very good. Small, intimate dining area with views of chef.Special Features:
- Underwhelming and Just Plain BadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012If you're looking for fine dining, this ain't it. This is "semi" fine dining at best. Outside of the menu being very limited the quality of the food was sub par. We ordered calimari for appetizer-it looked like something you could buy at CostCo or Sam's Club. I then went to order a bowl of soup-it was a vegetable type of soup. The waiter cautioned me for ordering a bowl and suggested a cup. Huh? Then I ordered the Rib Eye steak which had more gristle in it than something you'd get at Golden Corrale. The side of potatoes were so hard that when I cut into it one of them slid off the plate. This place has an identity problem. It should just be a pub and serve pub food. NOT a place to go on a date or if you want a quality dining experienc
- We had a lovely dinner althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012We had a lovely dinner although the temperature in the restaurant was very uncomfortable - it was outright cold. On the other hand the food was delicious and the service was impeccable. M Audiffred
- Our whole party was cold.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2012Our whole party was cold. We had to keep our winter coats on. The food came to us cold and took a real long time to come. The meat was very tough and full of grizzle. The waitress was inappropriate. Bad dining experience.
- I wish I could write a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2012I wish I could write a great review but our experience was dreadful. The building was cold; we kept our coats on. The food was cold. The service was okay but could not make up for the short comings. I wish you luck in making improvements and succeeding, you have such a great location.
- We enjoyed the mozzarellaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2012We enjoyed the mozzarella stuffed meatball appetizer. The sauce was fantastic.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2012The atmosphere was pretty (beautiful building, ceiling, floors, etc) but we felt cold and uninspired. The tables were uncomfortable and there was no vibrancy about the place. The menu was short (which I prefer) but conventional. We chose a garden salad and mussels to begin. Both were good. The bread served was akin to a loaf from Hannaford. Our entrees were okay. The shrimp calypso was heavy but the shrimp delicious. The hanger steak was chewey and did not live up to the price ($28). All in all, we would not recommend this restaurant.
- Limited menu. As long as youOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012Limited menu. As long as you like what they are offering, you won't be disappointed with the food. Not sure it lives up to the high cost of a meal though.Special Features:
- Menu was different then oneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012Menu was different then one posted outside and also very limited. No heat...we had to wear jackets and hats while eating, this is not acceptable when you are paying $20 - $28 for meals. We would not recommend this restaurant
- We were running late for aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011We were running late for a 7:30 reservation and tried to push it back to 8:30. We were told that they were booked solid at that time but they could squeeze us in at 8:00. When we arrived at 8:00, we were told that they had sold out of 2 of their 4 entree choices. Rather disappointing. We went elsewhere.
- We found out why it was emptyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2011We found out why it was empty on a Friday night: credit card machine broken, no heat, dry martinis with sweet vermouth (bar did not even have dry vermouth!)...food ok but for the price not up to Portland standards.
- Two Thumbs UpOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/18/2011Very nice experience located at what used to be Walters. Arrived early before going to the theatre and initially had the restaurant to ourselves. Food was very reasonably priced and was outstanding. The fried calamari appetizer was one of the best I have had in Portland and was big enough for a main course. The artichoke dip was equally as outstanding. Recommend sharing one appetizer per two people however, as you won't be hungry when the main course arrives. Dinners were delicious with excellent presentation. My only very minor complaint was despite the fact the rib steak was fabulous in flavor, it was a very thin cut which allows the meat to continue to progress past the medium rare desired. All in all - I will return.Special Features:
- Although I would not recommendKgsmithmaineDined on 11/12/2011Although I would not recommend this place, I do think they have potential and hate to give up on them so quickly. If the owner would give the chef a longer leash, I think it could be good. I've always loved the location with the brick walls and cozy atmosphere so other than the odd assortment of artwork, that remained the same. The service was good with our waitress truly trying hard and being very open and honest about our food choices and feedback. The ribeye special was good, but the 2 salads and shrimp pasta entree was entirely flavorless. In fact, the shrimp dish had a flavor and consistency of paste. The wine was good though!
- Under new management (twoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2011Under new management (two nights), not much owner support. Not much available for food choices. Most specials were not available.
- Great steaks. And an impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011Great steaks. And an impressive specialty cocktail list. My fiancee had the salmon and recalled it being very good. Was seated near a group that had 5-6 loud children, but after they left the atmosphere improved significantly.Special Features:
- horrible service for our table.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011horrible service for our table. Other servers tried to step in and help but they were given false info and they became frustrated as well. There was no rush and we waited 45 min for a drink! The people next to us left after waiting and getting nothing. our soup showed up before our drinks - not even water! Then our meal came right on top of our soup. we had to send it back, there was no room on the table. We ordered the same meat cooked the same and one was way overcooked. Do not go there unless you are bringing someone you don't like. We were never asked if we wanted another drink - which we did!
- SLOW SERVICE, food wasnt great,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2011SLOW SERVICE, food wasnt great, menu was small, it took us 30 minutes for out waitress to tell us the appetizer we ordered wasnt available, and when we got the mussels, there were only about 8 on the plate, with no bread! we waited another 45 minutes for our meal, which was abosolutly nothing special.. poor presentation, just too slow.. and it wasnt even busy!Special Features:
- Food was average. OrderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2011Food was average. Ordered a shrimp dish that was explained to be a lighter, lemon sauce and came out to be an Alfredo sauce. Another person ordered a chicken dish that looked amazing but chicken undercooked sonwe had to send it back. A little disappointed but from what I hear, it's a newer place so I guess give it a chance. Service was great and took care of us for the many things that went wrong.
- In a city of fine restaurantGrazerVIPDined on 9/24/2011In a city of fine restaurant choices, this new one, just doesn't make the grade. The menu is limited and unimaginative. The staff seemed bored. I was disappointed.
- We enjoyed our time at 15OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2011We enjoyed our time at 15 Exchange. They food was fabulous. Is is a small venue and we were at a small table by the bar. There was a large group of 10 or so that were very close and very loud. They left 15 minutes later for a table upstairs. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features: