15 East Restaurant
15 East 15th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $50 and over
15 East Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.15eastrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 647-0015
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masato Shimizu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area
- Catering: Our full service catering offers both sushi and custom created dishes for all types of gatherings. Your dinner party can be an intimate gathering or a grand gala. Whether you are planning to entertain just two or one hundred and two guests, we will assist you in designing a menu that best suits any occasion.For all catering inquiries, please contact Jo-Ann Makovitzky at 212-647-1515.
A word from 15 East Restaurant
With the successful move of Tocqueville, owners Marco Moreira and Jo-Ann Makovitzky set about re-inventing the restaurant's original space with the help of acclaimed architect Richard Bloch. Reborn as 15 East, the restaurant serves contemporary Japanese cuisine and traditional sushi in an elegant, comfortable setting. Online reservations are for the dining room only. For reservations at the sushi bar please call the restaurant directly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
15 East Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
15 East Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (59)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (24)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (13)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent FoodExcellentFoodVIPDined on 11/22/2014I suggest getting an uni flight. The sushi was fabulous as was the miso cod with uni sauce, and don't slip dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!YusukeDined on 11/22/2014It's a perfect place to feel Japan. Lusciousness of Sushi was much better than Tokyo's restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/18/2014service let down. he was just weird and inattentive.Special Features:
- True JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/15/2014Authentic Japanese food with no inventions or useless add ons. Simple and delicious. Great fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sarahpickleDined on 11/13/2014The food was amazing, had the lunch tasting menu which was perfect from start to finish.Special Features:
- Sushi at its bestdine4funVIPDined on 11/12/2014Once you go 15 East, there is no turning back. The food is fresh and succulent, the service impeccable and the environment sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sushi spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014I've been here many times, and the sushi is always exceptional. Make sure to book ahead, reservations fill up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back next weeknewyorkerinnewjerseyVIPDined on 11/6/2014I am still thinking about the omakase, it was delicious! Going back with a co-worker next week despite the fact that it's not close to the office!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menufksbrDined on 11/3/2014We had the tasting menu, and it was not good at all. And still it was really expensive!!! Do not recommend at all!
- Excellent SushiGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014Excellent selection of exotic fishes and well priced for the high quality of sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NY ExperienceFoodiefamilyDined on 11/1/2014If you are looking for a NY experience where locals come from all over Manhattan to eat this is your place. The fish was outstanding, it was a unique menu that was exciting to try and rewarding to eat. The service was excellent and it was worth every penny....Special Features:
- Spectacular ExperienceJaneDined on 10/31/201415 East was our first Japanese Michelin Star experience. The staff was there every step of the way! We were seated at the Sushi Bar and ordered the Chef's Tasting Menu. It was prepared with care and precision. The sushi and sashimi plates were our favorites. The sushi tasting was incredible because the chef literally made it in front of us - explained what it is, what part of the fish, had a diagram, and placed it on the marble portion of the counter. Finally, the dessert was the topping on the cake .. a special pudding with syrup which took me to my childhood. Then we got surprise at the end where they gave us anniversary dessert platter (even came with a candle). Everything in this place is memorable experience!Special Features:
- Overpriced and not special at allHAMANDined on 10/29/2014Not what it used to be. They are victims of their success.
- Amongst the very bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014The experience at 15 East rivals any and all Japanese restaurants in NYC. Chef Masato is a genius. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- Superb!487TDined on 10/27/2014We are very lucky to have 15 East just around the corner from the apartment. This is a fantastic Japanese restaurant, we have being there many times and it is always GREAT!!! every table is a good table, the service is impecable and most of all the food is SUPERB! the sushi/sashimi Omakase is a lot but at the same time not, the Uni trio was delicious and they served different ways we had it with spoons Fantastic selection of SakesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestAntoniamurphynzDined on 10/25/2014The best Japanese food of my life, with impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchLewisVIPDined on 10/25/2014One of the best places in NYC for high quality Japanese food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive Meal!1hungrywolfVIPDined on 10/22/2014Very expensive but definitely worthwhile. Delicious fresh sushi and unusual combinations for the U.S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpriceFoodloverVIPDined on 10/20/2014The food is good, but it's not that good for the price.
- Good SushiDC001Dined on 10/18/2014The sushi was pretty good; it was fresh, which is what you'd expect from a high end sushi restaurant.Special Features:
- Because I Love SushiSushiSteakDined on 10/17/2014This was my second trip to 15 East. I brought my parents here, so my Dad a Marine Corps vet who spent time in Japan, could have Omakase. And it was a good choice. It was quiet enough for us to enjoy a conversation, but they didn't mind the cameras snapping photos of every course. The staff was phenomenal and explained all the food and sake to us very well and were very knowledgeable. Of course the food was delicious. And because it was also my Mom's birthday, they brought her a special candle lit birthday dessert. Sake is all imported from Japan and the Sommelier is amazing. If you like tuna, the tuna flight is to die for. And the Mineoka (dessert) is something you have to try, since you can only get it at 15 East.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor ambienceVive369121518Dined on 10/15/2014The kind of refined and elegantly presented cuisine was discordant with the ambience. Terribly noisy. Tables spaced too close together. Maybe the bar was a better spot.
- Have a celebration? This is it!SashimiloverDined on 10/11/2014Great textures, amazing fish, great service. We went here for our 20th year anniversary and it was a great experience. Sit and order sushi sashimi omakase at the bar and enjoy the service! We were made to feel very special with a surprise dessert and champagne at the end of the night to celebrate our special occasion. It was truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014great energy great food and service its outstanding highly recommended!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/10/2014The sushi/sashimi were delicious. The yellowtail sampler and uni sampler were impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inago go goorlandoDined on 10/3/2014Very very expensive but worth it for the quality. No extra charge for having Yoko Ono sit next to me for lunch :)Special Features:
- not worth of moneytrinity76Dined on 9/26/2014For Michelin star awarded restaurant it was very disappointed for food especially sushi and sahimi. Portion was ridiculously small and toro peice thay came out with one of the most expensive menus was size was about the same size as my thumb nail. Freshness of fish was good but for that price there was nothing extra ordinary and not worth of money to visit. Maybe food was more cater to Western taste but definitely it was not original Japanese shushi taste. Very very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great place near union squareGloryDined on 9/24/2014This is a great place in the Union Square area. Excellent food, service and attention to detail. Its not as flashy as some foodie places but - its great for this location in the citySpecial Features:
- Over priced.RegoboyDined on 9/23/2014Too much hype. Good sushi. But not worth the price.
- Not a regular, not any morefascinatedVIPDined on 9/22/2014This used to be my go to place. Two reasons I've stopped: 1. The parade of waiters that don't speak much English (or Japanese) and don't really work particularly hard to explain much or make you feel welcome. And 2. They removed the Sushi/Sashimi menu at lunch. This means that you can't order a few pieces to go with your meal, or even build a lunch of your choice. Sorry, but for someone who won't eat endangered Tuna, omakase makes no sense. It's a shame.
- Stuning with minor flawsItalian4lifeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Our party got the omakase for sushi with extra ohtoro, uni and a bowl of red miso soup. While miso soup was not what I expected, sushi was amazing. Uni from hokaido Japan was at its max. Very romantic and good for highend sushi challengers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4thoughtDined on 9/4/2014Food&service was outstanding! Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NovelMontyBDined on 9/2/2014One of the broadest sushi menus in NY, some of the fish is merely good, but some is spectacular.Special Features:
- Amazing food with great serviceAcd271Dined on 8/29/2014Our server Charles was very helpful and knowledgable. He made some great recommends that we would have missed The king salmon roll is a must haveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin Star?OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014Restaurant came highly recommended via a Japanese friend of a foodie friend...was highly anticipating this meal. Unfortunately, I can't quite understand how this restaurant got its Michelin Star. We got the tasting menu and it started out strong. The first 2 courses were exquisite in taste, presentation. I was looking forward to the rest of the meal. Unfortunately, the remaining courses missed the mark a little. The sea bass was just salty, not much in the way of other flavors. While the Sushi was fresh, the presentation and combinations were not that inventive. Hand cut soba was wonderful and perhaps in the future I might just get the soba and plates off of the menu and forgo the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sushi ExperiencegalokjaiDined on 8/23/2014Food: As for a person who loves sushi and who have been to many sushi restaurants, this place makes my knowledge on sushi irrelevant. It is as if it was my first time I had "real" sushi. The variety of choices, freshness, and exquisite taste can not be compared among most sushi restaurants. Service: I was actually surprised on how attentive the servers were by cleaning up any indications of trash and kept everything clean, how the sushi was served piece by piece on a granite table top in front of me in order to obtain the freshness of each piece, and how each piece was carefully and masterfully made by the head chef. It seemed as if I had my own chef which I had never felt before while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi MustThePhoenixDined on 8/23/2014One of the best sushi restaurant in the New York City! The sushi gourmet it is a must!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sort of fancy, quiet, romanticKingchar1esDined on 8/22/2014It's a little pricey, but it's one of those cool manhattan places that you would never know was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencemeabersDined on 8/19/2014The staff could not have been more wonderful. The sushi was excellentSpecial Features:
- go for the "sushi bar"OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2014The sushi/sashimi here is top class. A particular favourite is the live shrimp. Once you have eaten the body and sucked out the head they bring the head back to you deep fried. 3 deliciously different ways to eat the shrimp.Special Features: