12th Ave. Grill
1120 12th Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
12th Ave. Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.12thavegrill.com/
- Phone: 8087329469
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Open 7 Nights a Week - 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Bar: Open 7 Nights a Week - until 11:00 pm
We are now OPEN Sundays and look forward to seeing you!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Hanney & Jason Schoonover
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom menus are created by Chef Kevin Hanney for any occasion.
- Special Events: Join us for Sunday Supper. Sundays are a family day. We will offer a prix fixe menu, served family style, every Sunday night.
- Cross Street: Harding Ave
- Public Transit: Bus stops are on Kokohead ave just before the Waialae Ave intersection for
#1 Kahala Mall-Kalihi transit center, #1L Hawaii Kai-Aala Park with limited stops,
#3 Salt Lake
#14 St Louis Hts/Maunalani Hts.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is adjacent to the restaurant in a ticketed lot. Parking is $0.75 per hour and payable by credit card at a free-standing kiosk.
A word from 12th Ave. Grill
12th Ave Grill is an award winning Neighborhood Gem featuring fresh, seasonal and local ingredients. Our daily specials offer the ripeness of the season and the best of Hawaii's local farms and ranches. Our tasteful wine list, unique micro brewed beers and scratch bar cocktails are the perfect pairings for any palate. Warm service in a Bistro style complement this serious contemporary American cooking.Continued
We will open the doors to our new location on October 1, 2013. We are currently accepting reservations for the new location. See us in our new home just down the street.
We will open the doors to our new location on October 1, 2013. We are currently accepting reservations for the new location. See us in our new home just down the street.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
12th Ave. Grill - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
12th Ave. Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (96)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (46)good for groups (32)notable wine list (32)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (24)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (15)romantic (15)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good food but small servingsfrogdogDined on 9/7/2014I have been going here since Kevin opened at his original location. I really like his food - the mac and cheese is the best i've ever had and the kim chee skirt steak is incredible - but his serving sizes are really shrinking. My husband ordered a $9.00 ceasar salad and it was so small you could count the leaves of lettuce on one hand. It's very good food, nice atmosphere, but just don't expect good sized servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delicious and Creative menu!kaimukimomVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything is worth trying! We could eat off the appetizers menu alone and be satisfied but don't limit yourself! The duck corn dogs were the most surprising winner, but we did not forgo our favs - ahi bruschetta and pork chop entrees. My daughter loved her fried opah entree and the kampachi with chimichurri was gone in seconds.Special Features:
- Just Gets Better Each TimeCUD3VIPDined on 9/4/2014An amazing Bandol Tempiers that married the following awesome dishes: kappa hi crudo with Serrano pepper with chimichuri( everything in balance which is not easy to do) Rabbit loin with an aioli sauce as good as anything in France and we cook rabbit a lot) and Kimchi marinated skirt steak which again did not over power the steak and finally their signature pork chop. I honestly don't think I've had a better selection of dishes in my three years living on Oahu. We were wine educators formally from NYC.Special Features:
- request a booth!mintchocolateDined on 9/2/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and mentioned it in my reservation. We were sat at a 2-top awkwardly squished against the busing station and could hear the mindless conversations of staff. The ambiance was definitely lacking where we were seated. Now I know to ALWAYS request a booth. Perhaps management might look into cozier seating for parties of 2. Otherwise the food and service was excellent! Thanks Tony for the birthday dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is all About the FoodDisappointedKamaainaDined on 9/1/2014Our first time in the new location, and it is just fine. The food continues to be very tasty, the wine list expansive (more so for people ordering full bottles than glasses), and the feeling that of a serious eating (vs. "fine-dining") place. In other words, they have held to their values even with the move to larger digs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Eveninganonymous85Dined on 8/31/2014Had a special guest visiting and a group of us met up at 12th Ave Grill. The food was excellent and the wine selection was also outstanding. The entre selection was not the largest to choose from, but everyone's dish was delicious. The sides are also not to be missed! Will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Food was salty and place was noisyChoosyDinerDined on 8/30/2014We had a beet gnocchi appetizer which was delicious except that it was way too salty. The chef uses a lot of interesting herbs so it was a surprise that he chose to salt everything (even the entrees) so heavily. The kampachi was excellent, the osso bucco not so much (dry and tough). The open kitchen restaurant was noisy, with sounds bouncing off all the hard surfaces. The atmosphere was relaxed and informal; okay for groups, couples, or families. Dessert was okay -- an interesting lilikoi mochi cake with gelato. And the service was excellent--friendly, informed, and efficient.Special Features:
- Awesome eatery; unlikely placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Finding this gem in the middle of Kaimuki was an eye-opener. Service from Nikita was fantastic; she really made us feel at home and helped us choose the right dishes (not that any of them would be wrong). The food and drinks were absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 12th Avenue GrillsugarzDined on 8/28/2014This was our first time in the new spacious location across the street from the previous smaller location. Service was excellent as our waitress continually refilled water and got us a second serving of bread. We mostly ordered the specials which on that day was short ribs and leg of lamb. All the meats were fork tender including the beef cheeks. Desserts were delicious especially the flourless chocolate cake as recommended by our waitress as her favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take a BATHMegamouthoneDined on 8/25/2014This is our favorite Honolulu restaurant. We moved here after 20 years in Napa Valley so we are spoiled. Plate lunch doesn't do it for us. We consider this a BATH place. and that's good: Better Alternative Than Home. Kevin Hanney and his wife (chef owners) also have Koko Head Cafe for brunch and lunch with Chef Leann Wong, and SALT the best bar for cocktails and tapas. Hallmarks of all three are local food creatively prepared with super service. If for some reason you think you get bad service tell them immediately and Kevin and his managers will fix it. Creative affordable wine list -- with the occasional winemakers dinner. Watch for them.Special Features:
- Wonderful spot in the neighborhood!22tangoDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went there recently for our anniversary. The food was excellent, definitely at the fine-dining level. It's not the quietest place, but who cares...the food, service and atmosphere was all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014In the service industry these days, it seems it is "rocket science" for many in that industry to deliver excellent, if at best good service. And if the service is bad, the whole experience is blown--for me at least. And usually the food doesn't taste good either At 12th Street Grill, they have it nailed: they deliver friendly, timely, and excellent service while plying you with their superb menu of tasty, local dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- imaginative but variable foodxunkaDined on 8/20/2014I liked the look of the new 12th Ave. Grill but the noise level initially was too high. We split the beet starter which was exceptionally good. The duck with rigatone was undistinguised but the opa entree was fine. Service was slow but we were given an second starter gratis, a nice and tasty gesture.Special Features:
- KI10Dined on 8/16/2014This has become my favorite Honolulu restaurant. Jen, our server was excellent. Try the Kampachi Crudo and the Duck Corn Dogs. Everything here is fabulous.Special Features:
- LOVE!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014I will go next vacation too! All menus are reasonable and are satisfied very much deliciously.Special Features:
- Be selectiveteachertravelerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Some dishes (mac and cheese, beet salad, pork chop) are excellent, while the pasta with duck, and fish (ahi?...tasted like sardines) focaccia appetizer were not successful.
- Sunday SupperTinaDined on 8/10/2014We always enjoy 12 Ave. Grill whether for special occasions or a spontaneous bar visit. Food is delicious and the wine, beer, and drink lists are expansive and eclectic. Sunday Supper called out to us on this particular day and did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Great foodLovetoEatDined on 8/8/2014The prochetta I had was fabulous as was the caramel custard dessert.Special Features:
- MattDined on 8/4/2014As usual, we had a great dining experience. No matter how long it's been, we are always treated like family at 12th Avenue Grill. On this occasion we were entertaining friends from abroad. They were very impressed with the food and how friendly the staff was. While we miss the intimate nook 12th Av. once called home, the new restaurant allows more good folks to enjoy such a great menu and dining experience. We'll always come back when we need our 12th Av. fix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Please sorry You can not write because it is not good at English.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just gets betterCUD3VIPDined on 8/3/2014Here is a restaurant that just gets better and better and better. My wife and I taught wine programs for over 30 years in NYC before moving to Hawaii. The wine list at 12th just gets better every time we have dinner there. The knowledge of the wine, no matter who your waiter is, is awesome. Way above most NYC restaurants. By the way, the once a month fried chicken dinner is to DIE FOR. If you finish yours order another to go!!Special Features:
- 12th Avenue GrillMichaelDined on 8/1/2014Consistently good food and service with a local feel. A bit noisy, a bit pricey - but we know this before we go. Ambiance is nothing special. It's about the food. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014Food and wine were certainly above average. However, despite having made reservations days in advance and being the second arrivals seated as the restaurant opened, we were given a table next to the front door where people were gathered waiting to be seated. When I asked for a table away from the traffic zone we were given a table next to the wait staff's service station. Was this because we were two women dining or possibly the non-local area code on my phone? In any case, with so many tables to choose from we found this a bit off putting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDogluvrDined on 7/30/2014First time dining at the new location & thought the food was very good. My girlfriends & I were celebrating two birthdays. The only disappointing dish for dessert was the bread pudding, but everything else was delicious! The service started out excellent--our server was very knowledgeable & made some great recommendations. However, our desserts seemed to take a long time & then we had a difficult time flagging down our waiter to get our bill. In spite of that, we enjoyed our evening & will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 12th Ave Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/201412th Avenue Grill is always a good bet for good food and wine in a lively atmosphere. The room has a great vibe, service is good and well-paced. It's our "go-to" place with friends or visitors. We especially like the late night dining at the bar.Special Features:
- SteveVIPDined on 7/24/2014For years, we ate at the old place and always enjoyed it. It was alright, but seemed to have lost its charm. The new place reminds of a back east diner. Very cold. The famous Pork Chop seemed a couple oz's than I remember and a few $$ higher..it still is good. But.....wigs them the best .They seemed like nice people.would try again,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!JRJRVIPDined on 7/20/2014We've eaten here once a year for the last several years when we visit Honalulu. The food and service have always been top notch. This restaurant would stand out from the crowd even in more populated "foodie" cities. The recent reno has given them more space but lost some of the charm of the original. Nevertheless, we will be back, as the food continues to shine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC FOOD!MonicaVIPDined on 7/20/2014We especially enjoyed the brussel sprout salad and monchong special. Flavors were varied and interesting, and everything was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Date NightNiniDined on 7/17/2014It was my boyfriend's birthday, and I took him to 12th Ave. Grill. We both had cocktails, and shared a number of small plates, an entrée, and dessert. Our waiter was knowledgeable and very helpful!Special Features:
- What a meal...BowPuppyDined on 7/9/2014From the ahi tartare (HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) to the flourless chocolate cake, this meal was beyond reproach. The tartare was amazing with the tiny bits of citrus peel--the addition made this a memorable dish! Our server was very accommodating with ensuring that we had only the bread we liked, making suggestions, and overall treating us as best friends rather than as simply a server doing her job. My friend had the white bean and ham hock soup. The smokey flavor was not overpowering but just enough to really fulfill a down-home comforting meal. The chicken I ordered was juicy, and the mashed potatoes and wilted spinach were wonderful. Dessert, the best part, was also amazing! Overall, this meal was one I will really remember.Special Features:
- Amazing little gem!AngelapcDined on 7/7/2014Looking for a place to dine in Honolulu can be a challenge. Found this gem through opentable. Looked at the menu, they had availability and went. It was my best dinning experience during my entire trip. Most of the menu's ingredients are grown locally. The staff is very friendly and will guide you with your choice. My Opah was delicious as well as the pork chop. The bread pudding for desert was delicious. Very well priced.Special Features:
- Great Pick!faithwDined on 7/6/2014This is the first time we've been at this restaurant in their new location. It was awesome...food was delicious...ambiance was marvelous. It was a nice way to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday to RememberAllyDined on 7/6/2014My sister and I celebrated our birthday there on a Sunday. Sunday is less crowded than saturdays. Our waitress Jen was extremely attentive and friendly. The wine, meal and dessert were delicious! However, I do not recommend their ceasar salad - not great. It was dull. (Assaggios ceasar salad number #1).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cookie808Dined on 7/3/2014Maybe we had a bad night from the kitchen but the food wasn't up to par with the old location. Got into the parking lot and into a 10 minute grid to get out. Ended u p parking in the neighborhood Koko Head side and walking in. No prob for us but if clients could not walk it would have been a bummerSpecial Features:
- pupu dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Went with friends and decided to do pupus to share instead of dinner individually. Oysters were great! Mac and Cheese is 'to die' for. Flourless Chocolate cake was one of the best i have eaten but ice cream was half melted when brought to our table! i was surprised to see that at this caliber of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnercsfmdVIPDined on 7/2/2014First time at the restaurant celebrating a friends birthday. Went early because was concerned about parking. Got there early and saw the happy hour menu and decided to sit at a table in the bar. It was a great choice! We had drinks, fish tacos and caesar salad from the happy hour menu. Then we decided to keep in the shared plates theme and got roasted brussels sprouts, beet salad, mashed taro, kampachi etc. Service was great! Food was tasty and different, but not too much so. We also could see what was going on in the separate dining room (the governor was there) as well as food going by. They brought a poha berry cheese cake with a candle for desert. I'm not a cheese cake fan, but it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLoveveggiesVIPDined on 6/30/2014Came in with a friend for a light meal. Love the Brussels sprouts and the beet salad; great mango crumble for dessert. The waiter was nice and efficient and the manager came over to ask if all was well. It was!Special Features:
- I always found it pretty uneven.PanurgeVIPDined on 6/29/2014The new place is a little dark and less welcoming. We were excited about trying the Sunday supper (clam bake) but it was VERY uneven: the best cornbread I have ever eaten in a restaurant, followed by the WORST cobbler, ever. The blueberries were good, but they were swimming in a soupy, cloyingly sweet liquid, with a tough little non-cobbler pastry crust, topped with a tiny dollop of whipped cream. The clams, mussels and shrimp were all top quality, but the kielbasa was dry, tasteless and crumbly and the broth it had all been cooked in was not something you'd want to soak up with the cornbread. The potatoes were maybe pre-cooked because they came out mushy and nearly inedible. Halfway they swapped waitstaff with no explanation.Special Features:
- Finally not disappointedJohnBruTakaDined on 6/28/2014I have stopped dining out because my partner and I are tired of being disappointed with either the food, service or ambience at many of the areas so called "fine dining" restaurants. The pattern in Hawaii seems to be when restaurants first open everything is wonderful but the next time you go it is a huge disappointment and you go a third time only to be disappointed again. Restaurant roulette is not fun at the prices most of these places charge for a meal. This is not limited to the high end only. I suppose it is the tourist trade that has most places not caring whether you come back or not. And the reviews of sites like Yelp are a total joke. I was very pleased with the food but time will tell if this place is worth keeping as a "go to".Special Features:
- New LocationLarryEatsOutaLotVIPDined on 6/26/2014The new location is much more spacious and open. The bar is great and you can eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.