31 W. 21st St
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.1200milesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125108722x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, French American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Chef Blake Schumpert
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 50 seat private dining area with retractable big screen TV and several large floor to ceiling windows. It's the perfect space to have a work meeting or a family reunion. We have the ability to customize the room lay out, menu and complete dining experience to accommodate your needs.
A word from 1200 Miles
1200 Miles is a modern American restaurant that pays homage to the tastes and aromas of the Mediterranean - featuring the influences found in French, Italian, Spanish & North African cooking. 1200 Miles represents a journey of gastronomic adventure and cultural exploration incorporating products indigenous to those parts of the world along with farm and garden fresh local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1200 Miles reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (27)romantic (24)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (22)notable wine list (18)special occasion (14)great for brunch (10)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- MumaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful dining experience. The cuisine is delicious, friendly and knowledgeable service and fantastic ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs tire changeSoftspikesDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant has good intentions, but poor execution and the Musak doesn't help anything at all. Took a bit of time for a waiter to get to us. Then then the wine list was the worst I've ever seen, not for the wine, but for the type face. Unless you are 22 with perfect vision, it is impossible to read, the type be incredibly small. I communicated this to the wine steward, who agreed and also gave me a discount on a nice wine, which I appreciated. The waitress, while pleasant, was perfuctory, which may have been a factor of short-staff. The food was decent, although I thought the compote of vegetables that accompanied my seared skate, which was slightly overdone, was too soupy and led to some minor splattering. Needs refinement.
- Delicious!skb2104Dined on 9/8/2014I've been to 1200 Miles for drinks several times, always delicious and fun cocktails on the menu, plus I love the decor. I decided to try out the food for my cousin's birthday celebration and was blown away by the food. The chicken is out of this world. Also, our waitress happened to overhear it was my cousin's birthday and took the initiative to place a candle in her dessert. Such a nice touch! Will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014Services was excellent, great location for after work hang out. Portion size was a bit small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable local placeNYMomVIPDined on 9/8/2014the menu at 1200 Miles is always changing. Staff is friendly. Good place for dinner.Special Features:
- robbVIPDined on 8/18/2014Second visit and they remembered me from the first time. We were treated like regulars. Food was excellent as was the service.Special Features:
- One of the best new restaurantsYasKVIPDined on 8/15/2014Really great food. The asparagus salad and crab appetizers were really good. I also recommend the sobetto dessert.Special Features:
- 1200 MileswebdebnycVIPDined on 8/14/2014The 1200 Miles seemed more like maybe the distance they went farm to table than its intended measure from Algiers to Provence. I could find little Moroccan or AFrican on the menu, but overall, they're still putting out relatively pleasant food. The beet salad was quite lovely, my skate entree was perfectly cooked, defying the ubiquitous mushiness that the crisped fish over broth more often endures. Desserts were servicable. Service, on the other hand, was attentive enough, but our exchanges were all awkward and forced until I complimented ours on his hair style.. and on THAT topic, he could wax poetic and was totally relaxed and at ease. Too bad they couldn't be as comfortable with culinary topics.Special Features:
- Great!amandamayoDined on 8/13/2014My boyfriend and I checked out 1200 Miles for Restaurant Week and had a great experience. I really enjoyed their vegetarian dishes - carrot & asparagus salad and black garlic tagliatelle. My boyfriend loved the crab appetizer and pan roasted bluefish entree. Desserts were delicious - especially the panna cotta. We only had wine but the cocktails looked awesome, so we'll definitely try those when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jsalVIPDined on 8/12/2014Went here for Restaurant Week dinner. I had the crab appetizer (good), the fish entree (the fish was good but the dish was too spicy), and the fruit dessert (fair). I came here to try the crispy pork belly but it was not on the menu that night. I also got to try the chicken entree (good), and the chocolate dessert (very good) and the panna cotta (fair). Service was friendly and the place was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. NOT a quiet placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014We ordered from the restaurant week menu and both dishes were cooked to perfection and the flavor combinations were tasty and original. We asked about the wine flight and our waiter let us order the flight to share and to substitute the alternate choice red for the whites which we don't like. Service was lovely, dessert was perfection. I'll go back. I'll be careful to avoid the place when crowded. The tile floor and walls are not easy on the ears.
- BooWhoDined on 8/11/2014excellent flatiron lunch spot, with inviting bar and natural light-filled interior.Special Features:
- Like being in EuropelavflyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We went there for restaurant week, but decided upon the regular lunch menu. Quite a number of choices, each of us having something different, and all being quite satisfied. My sliced steak salad was delicious, although the steak portion was rather small. We were early and it was a weekday, but I can imagine that it is a bustling, lively place once it gets going.Special Features:
- Nice Restauranteating4thesoulDined on 8/7/2014Still has some ways to go with regards to the food. Nice recommendations but if I were to return it would be more for the scene and drinks rather than the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Noisy atmosphereNYCRestoweekEaterDined on 8/5/2014Your staff should make clients aware of the spice level of your plates. although I appreciate the zest of the flavors it dosen't suit everyones palate. the noisy level was rather distracting during dinner and it seemed cold and detatched. The quality of the food was at a high level Flavours, quanity and presentation were well done. Our server, Fionia, was extremely competent, congenial and at our service during our stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/4/2014enjoyed this reataurant very much..menu was a little bit limited... but the food was great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not amazingMirasaurNYCDined on 8/1/2014We came here during restaurant week on a Friday night. It's not overly busy nor crowded, and the service was decent. To be honest, I've been to 8 different restaurants during NYC restaurant week (winter and summer), this was the least impressive one. It's just... soso, nothing really special. Appetizer was slightly below average, entree was average, dessert was forgetful. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for the food but the decor and atmosphere was nice and pleasant.Special Features:
- not worth itlacy0330Dined on 7/31/2014Service very poor. Was seated over 30 min past our reservation time. Waitstaff took 30 min to take our order. Served turned wine. Lamb was good.other food mediocre
- Amazing Addition to Flatiron!AnnieHVIPDined on 7/31/2014Two colleagues and I went for dinner during restaurant week, and we'll surely be going back for just drinks and for dinner! The bar area was definitely a hot spot. When you go to the dining area, it becomes a bit quieter, so it was great for dinner conversation, too. The food was also delicious - we all had different things, and everyone was thrilled with their meal.Special Features:
- LunchOut2EatDined on 7/29/2014The place was quiet which was nice. The food was good but didn't blow me away. The combinations were intriguing but again, didn't blow me away. My colleagues burger looked amazing though and he said it was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, decent foodsailor88Dined on 7/28/2014The simplest of services, filling water and providing bread, were the most challenging for them. When confronting the management about the issue, they acknowledged it, but the service didn't get much better. The food was decent, nothing truly memorable, but soured by the poor service. Took nearly two hours for our entrees to be served. One perk was that we were comped a bottle of wine for the service issues. The ambiance is great, I would likely come back for a drink at the bar.Special Features:
- did not expect to be blown awaysarhinoVIPDined on 7/26/2014Everything was delicious. Small menu but all gems. Only ptoblem is the size of the menu, otherwise I'd make it one of my regular dining spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date nightmanhattanVIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I both ended up ordering from the restaurant week menu. Every dish was delicious and staff was nice and polite. My husband got the wine pairing which he said was excellent and complimented each of his dishes; only problem was the wine was forgotten a couple of times and came after he was already halfway through with his plate. Presentation of the plates could be more artful to turn this restaurant into one that is award winning-- we mean this as a compliment because there was nothing wrong with the presentation at all, just not as creative/beautiful as they probably could be. Food tasted great and we would definitely recommend to others and return for another date night!Special Features:
- A great turn onTurnedOntoFoodDined on 7/25/2014I've been there before and loved it. The menu was interesting, service great, and the food delicious. Turning on a friend to this place enhanced the experience, seeing another person pleasantly surprised by a menu that wasn't the same ol', same ol'. Lovely wait staff who were enthusiastic about their food and their job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unknownDined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent. Service was very slow and had to be reminded to check on our orders.Special Features:
- Great spotcharlesDined on 7/24/2014Great resturant, staff is right nie and friendly. Food was great.. I will go back.Special Features:
- imweDined on 7/23/2014We arrived at the restaurant at 8:30, which was the hour of the reservation. We where not seated until 8:45 and the restaurant wasn't even to crowded. It was 9:00 and no one had approched our table yet, not even for offering water. The food was ok but I found a piece of plastic in my lasagna.Special Features:
- Great, great place!!amanda45VIPDined on 7/23/2014Loved it. Went for lunch for restaurant week. Everything was top notch. Excellent food, fantastic service and very beautiful space. Prices are in line with the neighborhood, what what a steal for restaurant week! I will be back!Special Features:
- Great SpotMicheleHDined on 7/22/2014My husband & I stumbled upon 1200 Miles through the NYC Restaurant Week.(We're out of towers.) Their menu was a real bargain, and tasty, too. Service was a bit slow, and because of all the tile acoustics were a bit lid, but nothing we couldn't live with. We would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightzridharDined on 7/22/2014The food was very good , well presented and just the right size, nothing to complain there. The Paper table toppers on top of the linen was a little cheap for the kind of place and prices it presents itself as.Special Features:
- Loved it!ShanmalvyVIPDined on 7/21/2014From the moment we stepped in the door, we had a great experience. Loved the ambiance, service was very friendly yet professional, and the food was wonderful! Bold flavors, creative combinations, and super fresh ingredients. Also chef was super accommodating in customizing dishes for vegan dietary needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative CuisineDodgersWillVIPDined on 7/21/2014A mix of French and Mediterranean. Vegetable lasagna from Calabria with unique spicy sauce is outstanding. Great wine list and beautiful decor. And a fabulous dessert selection. Tim the Manager makes sure every diner is happy.Special Features:
- Eat Here Now!ScottoInFoHillsVIPDined on 7/19/2014The photos don't do it justice. It's gorgeous: elegant AND comfortable. The service was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent! I had a gazpacho, a grilled octopus & farro salad, and the lamb loin. My friend had the white asparagus salad and pork tenderloin. All of it was exceptional! My iced tea came with a mint simple syrup that helped make it even more refreshing. Looking forward to coming back. Right now, Saturdays aren't crowded so if you're in town over the summer weekends, hang out here. The bar and lounge areas look super comfortable and welcoming. But by all means, stay for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Very good food at a reasonable price with some interesting twists. Service attentive. There on a quiet night so hard to really know if it gets crazy loud. Inviting bar as well. Looks like a fun place for drinks. Thought the menu would be a bit more French/North African but the waiter assured us it changes frequently. Will certainly return.Special Features:
- Great Food!ScottDined on 7/12/2014Found restaurant on Yelp...had great reviews. Food was outstanding, as was service, and the prices were very reasonable. However, we were the ONLY people in the restaurant on a saturday night between 8-10pm. Hope the place makes it, because it was well worth the price of admission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great presentation.ChaseDined on 7/11/2014I really enjoyed the restaurant. It had a great atmosphere and was very accomadating. The food was amazing and presented well. It was a great price for an amazing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost too quiet...TheMajDined on 6/30/2014I'm always on the lookout for the "perfect" restaurant for each meal, and had spent hours pouring over reviews on Yelp to find a place that was convenient to Midtown West and also to the Village, that had a semi-last-minute reservation available, that would be quiet enough to have a long catch-up conversation, but that was also interesting and with good, non-pretentious food. 1500 Miles fit the bill: - It's a big space, has nice decor that is stylish but not over the top. - The service was very good. - The food was good, although the menu was just a tad minimal in options. - They have an extensive wine list (and the bottles were mostly reasonably priced). And it was quiet. Too quiet. We closed the place down ~10pm. Where was everyone?Special Features:
- Prix Fix lunchNYCJeanVIPDined on 6/26/2014Enjoyed the prix fix lunch and especially that the portion size was just right. The cold asparagus soup was tasty as was the shrimp risotto. Three of us had the fixed lunch and one had the burger which was really huge and he said very good even though it was a little too well done after ordering medium.Special Features:
- Girls Night Out4FriendsDined on 6/18/2014My girlfriends & I wanted to go to a new restaurant for dinner, one we haven't been to before and close to gramercy/ flatiron district. We decided on 1200 Miles & couldn't have been happier. The food, service, and ambiance were all fantastic. I will definitely go again & will highly recommend it to friends & family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!nofadladDined on 6/6/2014When we arrived, I was a little concerned since the restaurant was fairly empty, however the staff quickly made us welcome and comfortable while we waited for the rest of our party. Dinner was excellent! Wonderful menu, perfectly prepared entrees. We couldn't have been more pleased with the quality and preparation. Manager came over to make sure we were enjoying the dinner and provided us with a complimentary desert ( which despite being on a diet, we had to try). Definitely going back on our next trip to NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.