275 Bellevue Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://12westmontclair.com/
- Phone: 9733375813x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 12:00PM to 10:00PM
Friday-Saturday 12:00PM to 11:00PM
Sunday 11:00AM to 10:00PM
Bar Open Late Daily
Cocktail Hour (Sunday-Thursday) 10:00- Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Book your next party with us! We have Prix Fixe Menus and a Semi Private Room for your special event's needs. Contact us directly and we can provide you with all the information. We look forward to hearing from you.
A word from 12 West
12 West which is 12 miles west of New York City is an upscale local restaurant in Upper Montclair. 12 West's cuisine deliciously reflects both New Millennium American and Asian influences. A lively bar crowd enhances the social experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
12 West reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance2.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- out of businessphil6184VIPDined on 7/19/2014I will never understand how open table will allow reservations to be made at a restaurant that has closed. The last time this happened the restaurant was closed for vacation. This time it was just closed for good.
- READ THIS CAREFULLYJoeInSouthOrangeDined on 7/12/2014I sent Open Table a question last week about our disastrous reservation at 12 West, but you haven't bothered to answer it. We went for our reservation and learned from a sign on the door that the restaurant has closed and had been closed and will be closed. I am very unhappy with you and the restaurant. Then when I tried to make a reservation at a replacement restaurant that night using OT, I found I couldn't because the 12 West reservation was still an open reservation. You owe me an explanation. Shame on 12 West and shame on Open Table. You have both totally failed to deal with this situation.
- disdinerDined on 7/11/2014REstaurant was closed for renovation when we got there. I sent you an email, but you never responded. Very disappointed.
- Closed for Renovation!amybDined on 7/11/2014We had a 7:30 reservation at 12 West last Fri night. When we arrived, the restaurant was dark and a sign on the door indicated 12 West was closed for renovation for 4 weeks! It would have been nice to know this before we arrived and before we made our reservation! There was another couple staring in disbelief at the closed restaurant, they were in the the same boat as us. We were all surprised and extremely disappointed. My advise - CALL FIRST!
- Closed restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/9/2014I made an open table reservation at this restaurant this past week for my parents anniversary dinner. We were a relatively large group including children. When we arrived at the restaurant we were extremely disappointed to learn that is was closed down. I was really surprised that open table had allowed me to make the reservation and I had not been notified about the closing. This was especially unfortunate as it was a special occasion and really put a damper on our plan for the evening. Especially with hungry children!
- ingredientssuchafoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014The gazpacho was great as and would have been even better if the kitchen didn't feel compelled to toss in a slice of an unripe avocado. Also, while the bread served was very good, the 4 thin slices for 4 people was a pretty meager portion. Nits aside, all 4 diners enjoyed each of the three courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good visitMadelineDined on 6/18/2014As always, a reliable local find. Location is perfect and the service is always good.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemWheresthebeefDined on 6/15/2014If you want great food and excellent service this is the place. It's tucked away right along side of the train station so it's kinda out of view and not too many people know about this place yet but it's defenatly a cool place if you want to get away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch for families and foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014The menu is nice, the pricing is great! And the staff is very accomodating for those with children, offering kiddie cups, and smaller portions. All food is presented nicely and the staff is quite attentive. Portions are generous and it is great to see the children gravitate toward the window to watch the people walking their pets or the once hourly train go by...Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/6/2014Was at 12 West a year ago and had a much better experience. We had the tartar appetizer and it was tasteless - definitely needed a sauce or better quality tuna. My BF had the duck and the portion was SO small and overcooked. I ordered the seafood quesadilla and it was mostly green peppers, barely any seafood. Will not be returning.
- The following 106 reviews are from the 12 West reviews archive.
- Save your money!SuzieVDined on 5/27/2014$12drinks & can't stock sweet vermouth?! Veal Milanese tough, greasy, stale breadcrumbs. Out of springrolls. Big disappointment!
- TracymickVIPDined on 5/18/2014There was only one server and I had made a reservation for brunch for 12 people. You think think they would have had this covered. The only good things about 12 West is that it has ample parking (always a plus for Montclair and a liquor license).
- Huge mistakeMD2k14Dined on 5/11/2014Went there with my Mom and a friend. Service was horrible and had an inexperienced server. Restaraunt was completely dead (go figure). Ordered a lobster pizza and was told no dough left yet pizzas were steadily walking out of the kitchen. They totally lied to our face by two different servers. Food is overpriced and nothing to write home about. Do not suggest going there for any reason.
- L O U DNicknameDined on 5/10/2014This is one of the loudest restaurants I have ever been in. The biggest plus is the parking. In Montclair parking is at a premium and this is sufficiently out-of-the-way, with a train station parking lot little used on a Saturday night. The food was professional, well executed. Our group of four ordered different items; all were fine, none were memorable. Only criticism was luke-warm coffee.
- Fantastic Dessertsluv2sk8Dined on 5/9/2014Pleassant staff. Service very good. Pulledpork sliders were a great starter. Lemon-thyme roasted chicken was delicious. Fantastic desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We went here to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday and had a nice time. We like to share things, so we shared the charred pear salad, grilled Bronzino, and a chocolate lava cake. They were all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Unacceptablestevenb30Dined on 4/26/2014We arrived at 7. We ordered drinks and apps. Our drinks came, and we waited for our apps. And waited. At 7:35, we saw that a number of people who had arrived after us had been served. We called our waitress, who should have noticed. Sure enough,our ticket had been 'misfiled.' She told us, with minimal concern, that our apps would be out in another 5 to 10 minutes. 10 minutes later, our waitress came over to bring my wife's app and to tell us that somehow, she dropped my app. She somehow thought it was ok not to get the manager involved at this point to defuse an ugly situation. My wife, normally the patient one, had enough. We left and had a good meal at another nearby restaurant. This place has obvious kitchen issues. We won't be back.
- DisappointingoldereaterDined on 4/16/2014The restaurant is lovely, and it's kind of fun to see the trains arrive. But the food was quite disappointing. Flavors "off", in soured attempts to make it "interesting". It's expensive too, which would be fine if the food was great, but it is not.
- Nice place for traditionalProperDinerDined on 4/5/2014Nice place for traditional American food. The food was good not spectacular. Atmosphere was very lively/loud but my party of four was still able to hear each other at normal speaking voices. Our server was lovely and very patient with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much too noisyJCaseyDined on 3/29/2014While the food was very good and the menu interesting, the noise level just was so disappointing. We were trying to have a combo birthday/anniversary dinner but couldn't hear each other all evening. Won't be back again.Special Features:
- Ladies' LunchSuzyDined on 3/29/201412 West was a great spot for a 10 person family luncheon in celebration of a 2nd baby shower. The staff was attentive and professional. The food was excellent. Favorites included the lobster pizza, calamari dish, chef's salad and lobster roll. The food is inventive and fresh. The staff let us stay as long as we liked, we enjoyed the great cocktails and an afternoon together. I would definitely go back and encourage others to put 12 west on the top of your list for dining in Upper Montclair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/26/2014The restaurant was selected by my friend as a convenient place to meet. I had never heard of it. What a pleasant surprise, I wanted at least 50% of the menu choices. Each of us ordered something different and no one was disappointed. The Brussels Sprouts and Kale salad was amazing. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere....MontclairFoodieVIPDined on 3/19/2014I had never been to this place before but I actually found it on Open Table... it had decent reviews and it was in my neighborhood so I went there for dinner with a friend visiting from out of town. We loved our food, the atmosphere was fantastic and the service was good too. Its one of the few Montclair restaurants that also has a bar. The place was pretty busy on a Wed night... so that's always a positive sign. I definitely plan to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentMaryDined on 3/8/2014Although the place can get loud, I have had nothing but positive experiences since this location opened up under the current name/owners. I've been here for business lunches, after dinner drinks and for dinner and the food and service are consistently excellent. It's best to have a reservation if you're heading out on the weekend during the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu was unique and everythingKikiDined on 3/7/2014Menu was unique and everything we had was amazing. Service was phenomenal & enjoyed the atmosphere. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, lively ambianceGetFitzDined on 3/1/2014Wonderful set up with bar, booth, and table seating options. Very nice menu selection and delightfully tasty food. Relaxing yet energetic atmosphere. Prices a little on the high side but great for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousCThiesVIPDined on 2/21/2014Went to 12 West for the 5th time this year...Food is very very good... Cosmo at the bar was perfect and the salad with the Grana Padano was huge and had great flavor. I had the sea bass in broth and I loved it. Everyone enjoyed all their meals. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner on a snowy nightPaterFamiliasVIPDined on 2/15/2014Our party of four enjoyed both appetizers and mains. My pasta Bolognese was exactly the hearty rib sticker I was looking for during a winter storm. Unusual for Montclair in its liquor license.Special Features:
- Weekend Birthday LunchKatevanDined on 2/15/2014We came here based on a suggestion from a friend who lives nearby and had been wanting to try 12 west out. Reading the reviews online left us worried about the restaurant. The weather was terrible and there wasn't a soul in sight. Our waiter was excellent and very friendly. I had the beet salad and a four cheese white bar pie. The food was good, but for the price and setting I was expecting a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A less than romantic Valentine's DaAnnekaDined on 2/14/2014Given bad weather conditions, we decided to eat locally and, therefore, ended up at 12 West. The bar was hopping and noise level was high. Tables were largely full though it was relatively early in the evening. Service was egregious. Having been ignored for 15 minutes after being seated, our waiter seemed angry that we didn't want to order drinks and dinner at the same time. He proceeded to largely ignore us for the remainder of the evening and we had to flag him down whenever we wanted something, such as silverware or water while our food cooled. Note that waiters only take orders and servers deliver the food. Salads and appetizers fine, main courses skimpy and not as described on menu.Special Features:
- Great Valentine's Day dateDan42Dined on 2/14/2014I brought my date for Valentine's Day and we both had a very good time.Special Features:
- Good cocktails and wine list,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Good cocktails and wine list, great service, nice decor, really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting BetterCrookhornVIPDined on 2/7/201412 West has had it's ups and downs since opening. The last 3 times I have been for dinner, the food has been very good, service can always be better, my drink should never become empty and have me waiting to get the attention of the waiter. Hope they keep up the great food, Blackened Swordfish with sweet potato and lump crabmeat, delish. The bar pies are always great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2014way too loud….even if the food was amazing , it would not compensate for the noise level….i will never go back and will not recommend
- Not a great experienceMontclairResidentDined on 2/7/2014Slow service, loud room, cold atmosphere, mediocre food. Maybe it was an off night for them.
- Yummy but loudGoodDined on 2/1/2014Food was great. Service was a little slow. We were promised a table in the back away from the music and when we arrived, the only place they could seat us was right at the entrance, next to the musicians. Wasn't happy about that. Despite the seating, the food was good, drinks were fun and bread pudding dessert was A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under new management--and it showsMaryDVIPDined on 2/1/2014Such a difference. The menu's spruced up, the staff is more energetic--Special Features:
- The man at the front was extremelymontclair6Dined on 2/1/2014The man at the front was extremely rude right off the bat. My boyfriend was finishing his Starbuck's coffee and the host greeted us by saying "Am I going to throw that away or are you, this is a restaurant". He then looked at me and said "I will have to see if I can fit you in" when we had a reservation. It was a horrible first impression and it made us not want to stay. He didn't make us feel welcome and I would not recommend this place to anyone.
- xThe Train Stops HereByJoveDined on 1/31/2014Super convenience for commuters coming back from the city An urban vibe, sleek decor and a buzz feel. A bit loud, needs some fabrication to take the edge off Inventive menu, chef s take on the popular items in demand. kale, ribs, branzino, etc. Our selections were pleasing. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I almost missed itDSLandCJLVIPDined on 1/29/201412 West is the Upper Montclair Train Station - I almost rode right past it -- But I am glad that I didn't. The room is lovely. A window seat puts you right by the train tracks (but you cannot hear anything from outside). The food was very good with a broad range of choices. Upscale casual with good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.