12 Islands of Stirling
1255 Valley Rd.
Stirling, NJ 07980Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
12 Islands of Stirling
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.12islandsgreektaverna.com/
- Phone: 9086472193x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
A word from 12 Islands of Stirling
Visit us today at Millburn or in Stirling, New Jersey. Our menu is assembled with a wide variety of recipes from the Dodecanese and other islands. Every dish we create is enveloped with the story and traditions of those who’ve prepared them before. Every dish is like a journey to a unique, wholesome and majestic way of life. In our most authentic attempt to provide you this journey, we import many ingredients direct from Greece. We also make it a point to use only fresh produce and fresh seafood and meats, keeping your wellness as well as your taste buds in mind. Our goal is to have you experience the life and traditions of the Greek people through each bite and each step of your culinary journey.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
12 Islands of Stirling - Best Restaurants in Stirling ›
12 Islands of Stirling reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (15)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Friendly, lots of delicious food...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Had eggplant chips and gyros. So much food, had lunch for two the next day. Reasonable prices, good service.Special Features:
- Authentic GreekGrouponDinnerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Second time here, wait staff is knowledgeable about menu and from Greece. Recommendation for lamb special was right on. Flavorful, tender, with lemon and greens. Very different and very good!
- BidofferBidofferDined on 7/26/2014Good food and friendly staff. Fish is fresh. Very noisySpecial Features:
- The best greek restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014We went to the 12 Islands of Taverna, the food was WONDERFUL, the service was great, I will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- A GemchuckDined on 7/13/2014We requested a quiet table since we knew the restaurant was noisy and we were accomadated. The food was excellent. My freind and I had the Bronzini and it was excellent. The other two dishes were also very good. I would reccomend this restaurant highlySpecial Features:
- Greek food in NJjrosen18VIPDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I just came back from Greece and were really missing Greek food. We decided to try 12 islands and it did not disappoint. We were so excited to see a Greek restaurant that actually served Greek wines. The Greek salad, gyro platter, and calamari were a generous portion and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like in GreeceNinaDined on 7/12/2014Went for lunch. Menu is quite diverse and all authentic. Food was delicious. Service was great, efficient, corteous yet friendly. Music and ambience was ad-hoc, making you feel as if you had just entered a restaurant in the Greek islands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, noisy atmospherekmbaskingridgeDined on 7/11/2014We were a party of 8 during prime-time on a Friday evening. While it was good to see that they were doing a brisk business, the noise level made conversation very difficult. It was so uncomfortable that two members of our party left as soon as they finished their meals. That's a shame, because the food and service were both outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!JessicaWDined on 7/6/2014Everything we tried was delicious- chicken souvlaki, steak with orzo, pork chops, lamb on the bone, spanokpia (sp? lol) & cheese 'on fire' (although the booze was a little strong). Ambiance is so-so... a little old, not modern at all. But the food is amazing and at a reasonable price. Will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Greek foodAspen234Dined on 6/13/2014Excellent Greek food and very friendly staff. Best Moussaka and Greek dessert we have had in past 5 years!Special Features:
- StaffMissingEuropeDined on 6/8/2014Very friendly and attentive. Authentic!! Almost felt like we were in Greece. At the top of our favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014Food was excellent but it was too nois for us on a Friday night.
- Secoco1975VIPDined on 5/30/2014I had read many reviews prior to our visit and all raved about the service, and about one waiter in particular who was phenomenal. We have eaten at plenty of Greek restaurants before and were familiar with the cuisine but were coaxed to try something different. My husband had a wonderful pork stew with avogolemono sauce. I had chicken souvlaki, which I've had dozens of times but this was super delicious with the addition of fresh herbs and lemon. The tzatziki was super tasty and the pita freshly baked. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fresh FoodLoraDined on 5/26/2014We thought the food was excellent and very fresh, authentic Greek cuisine. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the dishes, and the restaurant was very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Greek restaurantRoseDined on 5/12/2014We visited this restaurant twice in the past 2 weeks, and had very good dinners both times. There are the usual Greek dishes, all of which were very good, but they also have wonderful fish dishes - simply cooked and very fresh. The service is very good and they have reasonable prices for wine and cocktails. We'll go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Amazing greek restaurant. with excellent/friendly staff. The food is delicious as well!Special Features:
- Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/10/2014We went for mothers day weekend with our 4yr old and 18 month children. The staff were great with the kids and more importantly the food was great. My 4yr old loved the octopus and the other mezze dishes were also good. Overall a good dining experience, decent service and the food is as good as or better than our favorite Greek in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in Greece at Stirling NJBuffetGuyVIPDined on 5/4/2014My wife and I took our friends to dinner who were celebrating an anniversary. Service could not have been more attentive without being intrusive. We knew our waiter, Christopher, from previous visits, who was excellent, like the food. The fish especially. We all chose Branzino as our main course, with different appetizers to start: spinach pie and a shrimp dish in an aromatic tomato sauce. Asparagus and oven-baked potatoes with rosemary and olive oil rounded out the superb seafood entree, which was wonderfully flavorful and moist. The restaurant provided dessert gratis (the Greek custard) with a lighted candle, and a plate for the anniversary couple to break so that any "evil spirits" would be banished. The owner paid a jovial visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the 12 Islands of Stirling reviews archive.
- CRcrVIPDined on 4/24/2014Octopus was very mushy. Wine was good. Lamb was very dry. Waiter was very good. Menu selection was ok. My husbands food was also mediocre. Nothing to brag about. Will not return.
- Great Greek FoodATSCCVIPDined on 4/23/2014The food was traditional Greek and excellent. We enjoyed tiro pita, grilled calamari, keftedes - all good. The Octopus was not good, to chewy, but that was the only disappointing food item. The grouper cooked in the casserole dish was excellent, wonderful flavor and not overcooked. The lamb dish was great along with the sea bass. Everything was enjoyable and the service was very nice. Looking forward to returning. They are great with the kids too, so you can enjoy dinner in a warm, family friendly atmosphere!Special Features:
- a new found Gem in StirlingMinxDined on 4/13/2014We were looking for a restaurant to go to after church on a Sunday evening and were delighted to find this little gem. We were back several times since. The hummus was outstanding with soft freshly made pita bread. My husband had the tender and succulent lamb shank. My DIL a big greek salad. I had the gyro. It was awesome. Large delicious portions. We truly enjoy ourselves there.Special Features:
- The best grilled octopus anywhere!healthyfoodieDined on 4/12/2014The fish is fresh and amazing! I've been here several times and always order the grilled octopus. Simply the best anywhere ! The quality of the food is consistent every time, so I am never disappointed. The service is great and the owner is very often seen singing happy birthday to a patron and giving them a plate to smash in celebration! So much fun !Special Features:
- Great Birthday CelebrationdateniteduoDined on 4/11/2014Everything at 12 Islands was wonderful, from the apps thru dessert. The service is very attentive, the food is very fresh and made to order. Will definitely celebrate her again, after the staff sang Happy Birthday I was treated to partake in the tradition of breaking a plate, said to bring luck, very liberating!Special Features:
- Andrews first time at 12 islandscat123Dined on 4/4/2014we have been to 12 Islands a few times and decided to take my son and his girlfriend. He really loved several of the dishes. The shrimp appetizer, and the whole bronzini were his faves...Special Features:
- Yummy Greek!lindarVIPDined on 4/2/2014Each time i go here, i become a bigger fan. There's a wonderful Greek waiter that is more like "family" than a waiter. The food is delicious. We had the fish and the souvlaki. The appetizers were so good.. Tzakiki, pita, salad, hoummus, spankopita - just so good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- obsessed with this place!!!SchwabetteDined on 3/29/2014Have been there three times in the last month since finding it. It is my new favorite! The youvetsi lamb is INSANELY good, the greek-style mussels app special AMAZING...best grilled octopus I ever had, and just tried the Moussaka this weekend which was fantastic! Have had three different waiters, and they were all GREAT! LOVE this place...don't miss out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood still the starmarkVIPDined on 3/22/2014First visit to the former Oceana since new name and menu. Very happy that kitchen's access to and expertise with fresh fish remain unchanged. Bronzini, no matter how prepared, is a can't miss here. Many intriguing new Greek dishes, esp. the array of cold and hot starters. Server, and service, were impeccable. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2014Great to have a good place for Greek food, most restaurants around here are Italian . Food was very good, fresh fish , gyros and other Greek dishes. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Very good if noisyNeighbortimVIPDined on 3/8/2014Very good Greek food. Wife and I shared an appetizer spread sampler, was very good. I had an excellent whole red snapper special. Has a nice full bar. Two rooms, the more formal dining room may be quieter than the more casual room we were in. We had a good time and will be back.
- opa!lindarVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great greek food -authentic -active - love the lamb chops! Tzakiki - the waiter is a great authentic greek waiter and makes the experience complete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visit was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014My first visit was terrific. I am happy to have a quality greek restaurant in the neighborhood. The food was great and the service was very attentive. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food but not fancyPanosumVIPDined on 3/7/2014Very Greek, serious portions, but not a gourmet experience. Service was very friendly and I would probably return if only because of this. The price was higher than I expected and the wine list was limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The food was excellent and the menu including the specials offered something for everyone. It was a great introduction to Greek dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJorgeDined on 3/1/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. The place was full, but we did not have to wait for our food.Special Features:
- Fun Place to goSuperDined on 2/16/2014Fit for Foodies, Kid-Friendly & Romantic I recommend this restaurant as a FUN place to goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprise...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We really enjoyed the hot pita with yogurt red pepper dip 12 Islands provided for the table. I had a delicious beef stew-- very flavorful! My husband really liked the olive, garlic and sun dried tomato sauce the sauteed chicken came in. We both enjoyed the sangria, very rich and smooth. Would definitely go again. A nice change!Special Features:
- Food was good but pricey!DinersDined on 1/25/2014We enjoyed the food when we ate at 12 Islands. The price of the children's menu was reasonable. But the price of entrees was expensive - $28 to $32 on average for dishes, and that did not include a salad and included only small sides accompanying the entree. For that price, you should get a dinner salad and decent sized vegetable and starch as sides. Because of the this, we would think twice before returning.Special Features:
- Outstanding BronziniLoumanDined on 1/24/2014One of the best Bronzini fish dishes I've ever had . . . excellent. On the other hand, at $14 a glass, unfortunately the bartender didn't know how to make a dry martini and that's after waiting 20 minutes for our drinks. Better stay with the wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bronzino was excellent. BestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/8/2014Bronzino was excellent. Best whole fish I've had in years! A few things not available on the menu but that's fine...they were only serving what was fresh. Octopus preparation perfect. We will visit oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeSuzieqDined on 1/4/2014Even though I m not Greek I found the rib eye steak excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.