1 or 8
66 South 2nd St.
Brooklyn, NY 11211Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
1 or 8
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oneoreightbk.com/
- Phone: 7183842152x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am ( no reservations taken for 12:00am - 2:00am), Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Atsushi Yokota & Kazuo Yoshida
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Prix fixe dinner available on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.
Midnight to 2am on Fridays and Saturdays, we switch to a Late Night Menu changing every week. The dining room is then closed and service is at the drink bar only. We do not take reservations for the Late Night Menu.
- Cross Street: Between Wythe and Kent
- Public Transit: 10 min walk from Bedford Avenue station on the L, or Marcy Avenue station on J/M/Z.
Also, it is right across Williamsburg Bridge if you are coming from Manhattan, so a very short taxi ride from downtown.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: It is pretty easy to find a parking spot in this neighborhood.
A word from 1 or 8
The cuisine at 1 OR 8 is a reflection of the chefs' and owner's eclectic food experience growing up in Japan, where traditional dishes coexist with those originating from around the world often transformed with a Japanese touch. 1 OR 8 takes this approach, sometimes playfully pushing the envelope and experimenting with ingredients or techniques but always with a Japanese sensibility at heart. The open kitchen and sushi bar lets you see the preparation of the dishes, cooked or raw. Seasonal fish flown in from Japan are available daily. 1 OR 8 is a casual dining establishment proud of providing exceptional quality and execution in its adventurous offerings.Continued
Online reservation is for tables only. For reservation of seats at the sushi counter, please call the restaurant.
Online reservation is for tables only. For reservation of seats at the sushi counter, please call the restaurant.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
1 or 8 - Best Restaurants in Williamsburg ›
1 or 8 reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)romantic (13)special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (11)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fab placeDB900Dined on 9/12/2014I have to say the good is fantastic and service was spot on. Love the presentation of food and the funky sushi selection the make highly recommend the salmon and mozzarella roleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HammertimeDined on 9/6/2014I've been to several high-end sushi restaurants in NYC, but the consistency and presentation is never as good as here. The chefs are also very friendly and knowledgeable if you choose to engage them at the sushi bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is so good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The staff is so nice, especially the bartender. He was very thorough in explaining the different types of sake. The sushi was really fresh and amazing. Will definitely be coming back here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice decor, quality japanese foodcsi77Dined on 8/20/2014The all white decor was very nice, service was very good. We had the dumplings, pretty good, the croquettes, not eventful, the tuna tartar, ok, the fluke carpaccio was outstanding. For main, the nigiri were very good, the fish of the day was good, the tempura, ok, the skirt steak, pretty good. will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnaisDined on 7/30/2014Absolutely lovely and elegant food, warm service and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 119 reviews are from the 1 or 8 reviews archive.
- Amazing every timeBrooklynstud40VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great everything. Highly recommended. Very consistent high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long ride for a short slidetrufflehunter1VIPDined on 5/3/2014Traveled from the UWS having heard about the "sublime" sushi from someone who frequents this place. Big disappointment for everyone. There are better places right in our neighborhood where you can get phenomenal sushi at the same outrageous prices that 1or 8 charges and not have to travel. Sushi of Gari for example or if you can go downtown Tomoe is a great option. We will not return.
- Good choice for Japanese food WburgChattieDined on 4/22/2014Great spot, nice space, beautiful atmosphere, amazing food. JUST UNNECESSARILY NOISY. If the music that no one listens to anyway, is gone, it would be almost perfect. And it would be respectful to the music, and to the people that come to dine, relax, and speak to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticReviewerDined on 3/25/2014What a great spot. Had the bento box special and got a fantastic meal...which was quite filling. Each dish in the box was terrific (except for maybe the dried tofu). Presentation was outstanding and service was very attentive without being overbearing. Highly recommend this restaurant and wouldn't hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on dinnerSpicyDined on 2/14/2014We had the omakase sashimi. The fish was very good quality and delicious. The two side orders we ordered were good but kind of expensive and boring. This place is good to impress a materialistic date. I need more exciitment to return.Special Features:
- Will keep coming back...poss333Dined on 2/12/2014Big fan of this restaurant. Never lets me down. Top quality food and service, not to mention an amazing space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected morems10019Dined on 1/23/2014I was excited to eat here when I read the reviews. We had the chef's omakase and I thought the portions were really small - both for the sushi and the sashimi. I will say that the price for the omakase was less than most other restaurants ($50 v $90+), and that should have been my clue to order more, had I known (we had a couple appetizers and a few drinks and dishes took a bit of time to arrive), I would have ordered more at the outset. Service was very good, attentive, but not intrusive. The japanese comfort food dinner menu in the front of the restaurant looked really good and was inexpensive, maybe we'll go back for that, but the sushi, not so much.
- A treasuretiffizzVIPDined on 1/18/2014Tucked into a small side street off Wythe, 1 Or 8 is truly a treasure. Minimalist in design (white tables and modern organic decor) and fastidiously focused on technique and quality ingredients, this Williamsburg enclave is perfect for escaping the hype of Manhattan foodie finds. The cocktail, wine, and sake lists are well pruned (try the sochu and sesame shake), and the food mixes simple high-quality ingredients with richly flavored broths and sauces. The tofu appetizer features a rich mushroomy broth, and the simple scallop appetizer with rice noodles and tomatoes is perfectly executed. Definitely branch outside of the sushi and sashimi and try kitchen entrees or even ask for a tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best japaneseBradDined on 1/11/2014from ambiance to service to the amazing food. care goes into quality taste and presentation it's awesome without being pretentious if you haven't been, book it if you haven't been back in awhile, go it's the wink that you know the best place to go in town. also, eating at the bar is equally enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/4/2014I'd been meaning to visit for a while, but my experience was disappointing. My boyfriend and I came at 9.30 on a Saturday night, and didnt leave until 12.30. Everything took wayyyy too long. Our server disappeared for extended periods of time, taking care of an 8-top that seemed to take all her attention. The food was inconsistent: some dishes huge, some tiny. The raw fish dishes were good, but anything we had that was 'composed' felt clumsy. It may have been an off night across the board, but I won't be rushing to come back and give them another chance, there are much better options in Williamsburg.
- Always a pleasureMikEgeDined on 12/21/2013This is our third time here. Never disappointing. Love the tuna tartare and dumplings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful athmosphere andMatteo1967Dined on 12/8/2013Beautiful athmosphere and fresh fish, I enjoy allthough I ' not fond of Japanese food. I had difficulties to order as i didn 't know the plates.Special Features:
- One of the best sushi restaurantsSajaTourbahDined on 11/27/2013One of the best sushi restaurants in New York. Simplicity at it's best. With only the freshest fish, each piece is an experience you will definitely appreciate. Order the omakasi, and trust that the chef will make you very happy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi was pretty good, I wouldn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013Sushi was pretty good, I wouldn't say exceptional. The list of rolls was limited with a majority of them having fried fish, crab, or shrimp (personally not my kind of seafood when eating sushi)Special Features:
- The food was delicious butARBYVIPDined on 10/27/2013The food was delicious but service was rife with errors that were not corrected or comped, even when pointed out. Disappointing given the quality and the price.
- Best sushi is WilliamsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2013There's no place like 1 or 8 if you want really high quality sushi in Williamsburg/Greenpoint. It's also a very snazzy restaurant, in a nice way. Of course you have to pay more for this exceedingly strong dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming like east WilliamsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2013This place is too dressed up for high grade sushi. The cut has scale on it which I had to spilt out. The taste of the fish is not as promising as the higher price (compared to manhattan). The food is like Williamsburg, it might once had character, now it's just full of presents. The desert (black vinegar sorbe) was gross. How can they serve sushi with such a heavy tasting desert? I quests the Chet's taste bugs. I will not go back. Oh, the server smelled and could use a mouth wash.Special Features:
- Fish & chipszip10010VIPDined on 8/1/2013I swear, the sauce they serve with the fish & chips is highly addictive. (I had to request the waiter twice for more ginger and for lime for my friend's drink).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful sushi and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2013Wonderful sushi and service. Looking forward to trying some of the interesting cooked foods from the awesome kitchen. Music a bit loud for a larger table of 7 to hear group conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your hipster restaurantzip10010VIPDined on 6/26/2013I enjoyed this peaceful Japanese restaurant not far from the Williamsburg bridge. We recommend the omakase for $50 to get 10 pieces of sushi/sashimi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Fresh!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/26/2013Great tasting sushi. I would defininately go there again. Especially for the Chef's Grill counter!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appsdknyDined on 5/11/2013Went with my husband on a Saturday night. The service was very good, attentive but not annoying. Had the house salad and croquettes for appetizers which were so delicious. We got various sushi for main courses and they were just so so. The fish was fresh but it just wasn't anything special.
- This is in my top 3 favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/4/2013This is in my top 3 favorite restaurants right now, the other 2 being 3 & 4-star restaurants. The food here is simply SUBLIME. Chef Kazuo's sushi is so well balanced, yet also effortless & amazingly fresh & high quality. I used to go to Seki for years before discovering this place; then felt like an idiot having trekked all the way midtown when this is right in my neighborhood. Seki who? Yazuo is better, has cleaner flavors, & it doesn't feel like he's trying to impress. Plus the sushi bar is roomy & not full of annoying late-to-the-game/'trying to impress my B&T date' types. Go. Go NOW.Special Features:
- Service was overly attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Service was overly attentive (bordering intrusive) and didn't seem to be very familiar with menu items.Special Features:
- The best sushi experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013The best sushi experience in Williambsburg by far.Special Features:
- This is a great Japanese restaurantngleeVIPDined on 2/17/2013This is a great Japanese restaurant in trendy Williamsburg. The ambiance is modern and hip, the service is excellent, the seafood is fresh, and the preparations is totally on point. One of the best tuna jaws, listed here as buri kama, in the city.Special Features:
- What A DisappointmentFish5VIPDined on 2/14/2013Read some great things about 1 or8 and have to say that the experience did not live up to the reviews. Tuna tartar was bland, the tuna itself sinewy and overall desperately needed salt.Hamachi ceviche was awful. Pork was good but don't understand the mozzarella on the top?!?!?! Chicken was good, but the chili oil is not an oil but an emulsion and why serve it with the teriyaki sauce???? Wine pours were really skimpy. Will not go back - especially since there are so many better places in Brooklyn to enjoy!!!!!
- The sushi was amazingly fresh,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2013The sushi was amazingly fresh, great vegetarian options, phenomenal service and cool atmosphere
- Best sushi in WilliamsburgJeffreyNYCDined on 2/1/2013The best sushi in Williamsburg, by far. The fish is extremely fresh, the selection of sashimi is excellent and the preparation is always outstanding. If they have the yellowtail collar on special get it - it's one of their best dishes (but ask for it not to be cooked too well done). Book in advance for a spot at the sushi bar, especially on the weekend.Special Features:
- After not being impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/1/2013After not being impressed by this "hot" sushi spot I decided to give it another shot. Now I know my first impression stands - it is overpriced, overfussy "fancy" sushi but not great sushi which is what it should be for the price. The cooked food, soup and ceviche however are very creative, yummy and, while expensive , at least served in portions that can satisfy. So if you are looking for fantastic raw fish go elsewhere, if you want creative Japanese fare in a nice ambience this is a good choice.
- Good for dates and catchingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/30/2013Good for dates and catching up w/ old friends. Menu and sake selection are excellent. The interior is wonderfully contemporary and very tasteful without being overly museum-like. Price is considerably fair.Special Features:
- Always greatBrooklynstud40VIPDined on 1/26/2013As always, 1 or 8 never disappoints. The food is always excellent, the service and the scene are fun and its always good. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great quality sushi and otherLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 1/19/2013Great quality sushi and other interesting dishes with an open kitchen and beautiful atmosphere. We had a great night.
- Make sure to call ahead toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012Make sure to call ahead to request only experienced waiters.Special Features:
- I recommend going to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012I recommend going to this resturant for special occasions and a romantic dinner with your honey.Special Features: