257 West 55th Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nocello.net/
- Phone: 2127130224
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from 1 Nocello
One of the best Italian restaurants in New York, serving Incredible food in a romantic atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1 Nocello reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)fit for foodies (43)romantic (40)special occasion (33)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (16)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Lunch Midtown ManhattanMSNYCVIPDined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and service. Homemade pasta, or fresh fish...the menu is varied and does not disappoint.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is very lovely and the service quite attentive. The food was good but not out-of-the-ordinary. A pleasant place for before-theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.SSSsaysDined on 8/22/2014This will be the third time I have been to 1 Nocello. The Italian food is always delicious, service excellent and great wine. It is not too noisy and great atmosphere. We were six sitting at a round table and it was perfect for talking.Special Features:
- Perfectionluv2dineDined on 8/20/2014As always, the food was prepared exceptionally well, service and ambience excellent - as usual. This time was extra special. We were hosting relatives from Hawaii visiting with their 6 year old son who had been touring NY all day. Because of the attentiveness and courtesy of all the Nocello staff, they forgot about the tiring part of their day(but not the great sights). They were relaxed, at ease, and enjoying the ambience and food. They called it an "oasis".Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014So happy that I found this little gem while researching a nice Italian restaurant to have dinner at after our show. The waiter was very nice and the food was excellent! It was a wonderful place to finish off a great day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 Nocello ReviewgotothisrestaurantDined on 8/13/2014As usual the food was excellent and the service was outstanding . I find the food is very consistent and I never had a bad experience dining here. The pasta dishes, fish, meat and salads are wonderful. I have recommended the restaurant to friends and clients and they are all equally impressed.Special Features:
- MAC1VIPDined on 8/13/2014I have been here many times. The food and service is consitently good. Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Angel, the bus person, made our visit memorable. He was funny, friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Truly Wonderful Dining ExperienceThomasDined on 8/9/2014This is a wonderful, upscale, yet old world Italian dining experience that is not fussy or "trendy." Elegant, the tables are well-appointed and the quiet atmosphere calls for a lingering evening over a superb bottle of vintage Chianti. I was treated to the lobster with fettucine on a vodka sauce. The best I have ever had. And they know how to prepare a Negroni. Just go in and ask for one. Just go and enjoy. You are within easy walking distance of Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall and the Theater District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-theatredineoutDined on 8/9/2014The food was great and it was quiet enough for us to talk.Special Features:
- Good experienceRonny2diningDined on 8/8/2014Being a regular visitor of Italy my standards and expectations are high, here they have been very well from a food perspective, service was ok yet a bit too much routine maybe. Ambience was nice. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Pre theater dinnerFranFromNJDined on 8/8/2014We found 1 Nocello years ago through a friend in NJ (also restaurant owner!) and it was highly recommended. High quality food - great menu and savory preparation. It doesn't hurt that their prices are also extremely reasonable for NYC. Wonderful for pre-theater - easy to dine there and then walk to a show. We've also gone there for birthdays. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variable quality,fantastic or so-socreative4meDined on 8/4/2014We found the food quality variable. We had two fantastic dishes, the arugula salad with perosciutto and burratta and the branzino, which was cooked absolutely perfectly and delicately seasoned. However, the gazpacho was so-so, as was the lobster and shrimp pasta special. The lobster was over-cooked and tough, although the sauce was very nice. The waiters were polite but rather abrupt, kind of plunking the dishes down in front of us and then leaving.
- Nocello surprisetwofortheroadDined on 8/2/2014We attended a show on 52nd St and concentrated our search in that area. Zagat's review was favorable. So we took a chance and were pleasantly surprised by the ambiance and outstanding quality of the food. This is definitely a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2014Very nice meal, although the waiter did his job, seemed a little annoyed. The food was delicious though.
- You can hear your conversationMartyDined on 7/29/2014We have been going to this restaurant for the past 4 to 5 years since it is around the corner from one of the Roundabout theaters in Manhattan. Great food, with a varied menu all of the time. More than adequate wine list and nice friendly service. Quiet restaurant so you can enjoy the great food and still have a conversation without yelling or hearing other conversations. A real plus for a small and intimate Manhattan restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDisappointedVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food was good but waiters were very unfriendly and didn't explain dishes well Needs to work on service and making customer feel good
- It was adequateMaryAnnVIPDined on 7/20/2014We were looking for a quick, casual dinner. Everything was adequate...nothing to rave about.
- JussiDined on 7/17/2014My food was served 10 minutes before my guest's--very annoying! Food was superb, as was my bellini, when we finally both got to eat. Also we were seated in a cold draft at first and when moved to another table there was also a cold draftSpecial Features:
- DinerDined on 7/15/2014Good choice for ore-theater. Well prepared & did not feel rushed; food a little salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatly DisappointedKatieDined on 7/15/2014Nocellol was recommended to us by friends who had recently dined there. They are originally from iNY so we trusted their judgement. The food was tasteless,the service was lacking but the tab was high! Sorry we wasted good money on bad food. I would never suggest this restaurant to anyone
- carmela. marromyllor234Dined on 7/13/2014We had reservations but did not need them. There was two of us and was ushered to a table we didnt like . The one table we requested was reserved. I would not go to nocello again. Many other good restaurants in nycI would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY DISAPPOINTEDDiningDeeDined on 7/10/2014This restaurant had such good reviews. But I would NOT go back. First, the ambiance (we sat in the front room) was Blah. Second, they put my friend and me at a round table for four in a corner that is essentially a thoroughfare for wait staff and people going to the rest room (ie, the table no one wants). Unless we sat in the thoroughfare, we had to sit next to each other like we were filming a TV show. When I asked to be moved, they were rude; the service got only SLIGHTLY better from there. Oh and it's not like they SQUEEZED us in. We had reservations! Finally, the food. We both enjoyed our entrees. Not wow, but good. And we were both disappointed with our salads. All in all, a bust.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2014We have come here before a pre-theater lunch. Our recollection was great food, good service and a reasonable price (for the Theater District). Results this time: good, but not great, food. But, the bread was stale. And the accompanying dressings for the bread included spoiled oil (yet no vinegar) and a funky olive/olive oil/paste that was inedible. Table service (despite the fact that the place was half empty...my advice, never sit in the front window behind the column that separates the dining room from the front room), was slow and sloppy. I asked for butter three times and it did not not show until late in the third act. May give this a try in the future but, there are too many other choices in the immediate neighborhood.
- Good choice for city centerBennyDined on 7/3/2014Overall food was good. Especially enjoyed was ossobuco and deserts. Nice reasonably priced wine list. Lots of choices for both appetizers and entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; friendly staffJerseycookieDined on 6/29/2014The food was very good; staff friendly and attentive; decor understated and relaxing.Special Features:
- reliable restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014food was excellent,specials plentiful and service exemplaryI would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I was able to get a reservation for dinner in a short time frame before a show on broadway. We were seated immediately, and provided excellent service from all the staff from the time we sat down until the time we left. Very genuine Italian feel, and the food was excellent right down to the Creme Brulee!! Very cozy and intimate place for a nice dinner for two, however if you have a large group you might be cramped.Special Features:
- NYC visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Nocello was recommended by a friend and it turned out he was right. Really good food and wine list. Draft beer was very cold. Server could have been a little more engaged but was otherwise adequate. Seating was small but felt more intimate than cramped. Would go there again. BTW, cocktails, wine, dinner and after dinner drink was under 250.00 for four people. Not bad especially for NYCSpecial Features:
- chrisDined on 6/25/2014Food was good, but for such a large restaurant it has only one small men's room and one small ladies room
- Great pre-theatre lunchPenguinGirlDined on 6/25/2014I enjoyed a delicious two-course lunch--roasted vegetable salad followed by chicken breast with sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts in a white wine sauce served with a hearty bread--at a very reasonable price. I got there right when they opened so they were still getting organized for the lunch crowd but once things settled down, the service was warm and attentive to a solo diner. The Roundabout Theatre recommended 1 Nocello and I was not disappointed.Special Features:
- carnegie hall convenientrozkapVIPDined on 6/21/2014Good restaurant that is clodse to Carnegie hall and Roundabout on west 54 St.Service good at getting you out on time for theaterSpecial Features:
- Consistently excellentluv2dineDined on 6/21/2014Friendly greeting and service, creative specials, flavorful regular menu. A favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service, great locationSusanSleepyHollowDined on 6/20/2014A lovely meal before seeing a show at Studio 54. Service was very attentive without being overbearing. Softly lit but not too dark; natural light from the skylights. Not noisy and although every table was full, it seemed calm. Food was very good; we intend to return.
- A gem in the theater district.AnneDined on 6/18/2014Really lovely place with excellent food. Went for a pre-theater matinee lunch. Excellent crusty bread, great olive oil, sizable tasty salads, and perfect pasta, al dente with fresh tomato sauce and mozzarella. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining near City CenterqginVIPDined on 6/17/2014We have been dining near Nocello for years but finally stopped in. We had excellent food, in a pleasant space that allowed us to catch up with our friends before going to the theater. Reasonably priced. We'll be back!
- Great option in theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/16/2014Close to most broadway theaters or Radio City Music Hall.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2014First time at 1 Nocello....would definitely return...good menu variety, attentive service, very good food, and not too noisy...a winner in my book!Special Features:
- Could be better!JJ100Dined on 6/15/2014The menu looked promising. Salads were pre-prepared, soggy and i found some brown lettuce so not a good start to the meal.. But pastas were good. Dessert too. Good value for the money...
- Theatre District GemUnderdeckVIPDined on 6/14/2014As always, Nocello is a wonderful place to dine before going to a Broadway show or to Lincoln Center - great food, reasonable prices, friendly service. We have been going to Nocello since literally the week it first opened, have celebrated many special occasions there, have enjoyed many a pre-theatre dinner there, and have never been disappointed. The veal dishes are especially satisfying, with tender cutlets and fine sauces.Special Features: