152 E 46th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.darbarny.com/
- Phone: (212) 681-4500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 4:00pm-10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Apu Gomez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We cater for all functions; birthdays, graduations, sweet sixteen, engagement, wedding etc. of any size
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private available
- Private Party Contact: Mike 2126814500
A word from 1 Darbar
Reviewers and patrons consistently give high marks to this cozy, bi-level restaurant & lounge. Highly Zagat rated, 1 Darbar is a superb choice for Indian food with great ambiance and service. A lavish $10.95 lunch buffet with new and delicious dishes served everyday. Dinner from $10 and up. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
1 Darbar reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Reasonable and Tasty IndianocspoonDined on 10/12/2014I chose this restaurant because we were staying in Midtown nearby and I wanted Indian food. It was reasonably priced for the location and the food was good although nothing notable or outstanding. It was Sunday night and there were other dinners but there wasnt much of a scene and it was quiet which was nice for a chance in Manhattan. The service was attentive but our waiter was far from warm.
- Fantastic Indian Food with a SmildBobbyDined on 9/6/2014This place was great! Walking in, it didn't seem like much - a few tables scattered around a smaller sized space. We sat down and the wait staff was immediately at our table taking drink orders and fielding questions. The restaurant was quiet (in a good way) and the experience was great. Then the highlight - the food! I love Indian and have had several versions of Vindaloo and this wast favorite! So spicy and delicious. We also got chili mushrooms which were fantastic as well as samosas, naan and the standard flat bread that comes with the meal. Would go back without a hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Great house specialities. Quick service. Will return
- Consistently great!jinjogDined on 8/15/2014Darbar is always a great place for traditional East Indian food! The service is great and you just cannot lose with this place!!Special Features:
- Indian Cuisine Midtown NYCskspeteDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant is unassuming but nicely furnished. We saw the happy hour special on the billboard outside and when we inquired about it, we were encouraged to order drinks at our table (rather than at the bar which was the only way to receive the special pricing which we could have taken advantage of since one person in our party was running 15 minutes late, which we made known as soon as we arrived). I liked the fact that all of the foods were described on the menu The samosa appetizer could have included two samosas instead of one and the rice served to the table with our meals was sparse. The biggest complaint was the slow service we received. We watched three other parties arrive, dine and leave before we paid for our meal.Special Features:
- Delicious and classyWriterjaclynDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I enjoyed dinner at Darbar before we went to a musical. The food was terrific, very flavourful and not overly oily. We will return on our next visit to NYC.Special Features:
- Always good!Harp28VIPDined on 7/30/2014We are now regulars at Darbar where we no longer look at the menu. We know what to order and it is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 291 reviews are from the 1 Darbar reviews archive.
- Awesome Dinner SpotnycfoodieDined on 7/24/2014This is an awesome local Indian restaurant. My girlfriend and I recently became really interested in Indian food and we were not disappointed at Darbar. The service was amazing and the food was also on point. We ordered chicken tikka masala and it was the right texture and thickness. Some other places make it really watery, but it was not the case at Darbar. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- EnnaDined on 7/18/2014Was quite good for the purpose intended - quick dinner before the movie. Authentic Indian flavors but the chicken was overcooked and dry unlike the goat meat that was much better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found it to pricy.ElegantlyDined on 7/13/2014I don't recommend this place the cost of food and service were not good. There are much better place in the city.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014Intimate atomsphere. Nice wine list, fabulous food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place in MidtownAvoidVIPDined on 7/6/2014If you want a white cloth service, then this is the placeSpecial Features:
- Indian's BestHarp28VIPDined on 7/1/2014Steadily good food and service. We keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must go!NoniVIPDined on 6/30/2014Darbar is a go to place for me! I brought an out of town guest and we both enjoyed the meal!Special Features:
- Great curry with my colleaguesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/3/2014Went here with some work colleagues.. Good good and service..recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealkevnannDined on 6/1/2014Excellent meal, lamb Rogan Josh in particular. Great service and value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown Indian FoodBrandonDined on 5/24/2014We initially looked up this restaurant as we wanted something different and we honestly have been disappointed in most Indian restaurants we have been to recently. The location was relatively easy to find and upon arriving they seated us upstairs right away. The food was okay and while it did taste good what weighs down on the overall rating of the food was the price. We felt that for what we paying we should have gotten a lot more. We understand it is NY however, we would expect that spending roughly $100 would fill us up and not have us looking for another meal shortly after.Special Features:
- Tasty Indian Food in Midtownjazzedup1Dined on 5/23/2014Ate hear before seeing a play in the Theater District. The food was filling and burned some of it off walking to the theater. Good: -1000 point RSVP on OpenTable.com -Samosa appetizers (2 per order) -Cheese & Garlin Naan was yummy -Chicken Vindaloo -Shrimp Curry was great -Palek Paneer -Good Lunch buffet price/value -Service was great (the waiter plates your food initially) -Decor and detail in the restaurant/bar are tasteful yet elegant Bad: -Prepare to pay midtown prices for the food, $100+ night for two people -Update the online menu to show all the choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2014the naan were especially good here (prob because of the extra oil, but nevermind that...). had the lamb vindaloo, cauliflower korma, and chicken tiki masala and all were great. the vindaloo was a little different from others I have had, not bad, just different. everything else was great, service was fantastic
- Very delicious, rich flavorsMarkBelmontVIPDined on 4/21/2014The chicken soup (CHICKEN PALAK SORBA) was out of this world. Everything was great and the prices were pretty moderate for NY.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vacation Dining FindJillBVIPDined on 4/18/2014We stayed in Midtown for our Easter weekend vacation and picked this place from many via Open Table options for Indian food. We were very pleased with everything including the menu, service, atmosphere and taste. We appreciated that the server dished out the initial serving on our plates. It made us feel special. Keep in mind that everything was definitely on the spicy side, even my son's tandoori chicken and they didn't ask for a spice level preference. We really scored with the 1,000 Open Table points as well.Special Features:
- Large portions, nice service, valueMaggieVIPDined on 3/22/2014We ate after 8:30 pm on a weeknight. I booked thru open table and left in the comments that it was my son's birthday and I wanted to surprise him at desert. Dinner was very very good, my son a vegetarian, also enjoyed it. I had the tandoori chicken, and it was so much --almost a whole half chicken, that I took half home. Garlic naan was very garlicky. After the meal, they surprised my son with a birthday cheesecake slice and took the time to write happy birthday on the plate, found a candle and sang HB with his name. We also had a very good corner booth table. Value for money is very good and it was a comfortable not too loud environment for getting to know someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food this time was a bitkoshyVIPDined on 2/4/2014The food this time was a bit different. wonder if the chef changed..
- Terrific service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/21/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed 1 Darbar and will return again & again! The service was excellent and food matched. Terrific place for tasty Indian food.Special Features:
- Decades of Good Indian food/serviceMonginoVIPDined on 12/29/2013Onion fritters were moist and tasty and the cauliflower appetizer the same. Mains of chicken and vegetable korma were also up to standard. Comfortable, if not opulent surroundings and pleasant steady service. Been that way for many years. Glad it hadn't changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/20/2013Darbar provides very good food and a relatively quiet place to enjoy authentic Indian fare in Midtown east. I was there for dinner but I have also heard that the lunch scene is less quiet, but equally good for a midtown escape.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/19/2013GREAT food, great service. Nicely priced. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!DougDined on 12/16/2013Have been here several times when in New York. Appetizers and entrees always delicious and service is consistently good. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Indian food is their specialtyDanFromNytoTxtoVADined on 12/14/2013If you and your loved one, or special person enjoy good, quality Indian food, this is the place to go! I decided to go with their house specialty plate, the beet root something. MAN was that a good choice! Even after I finished off the 4 beet roots (believe, that was a enough already), I ate the remaining sauce like it was a stew! Mmmmm,mmmmm! A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyTexasFranDined on 12/6/2013Darbar was a lovely place for a good meal in a quiet room. I would certainly go back again, although there are several very good Indian restaurants in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/6/2013Darbar is a great find in the midtown area for really EXCELLENT Indian food. The service is very good and the atmosphere is very pleasing. We will certainly go back again very soon.Special Features:
- We have a favourite IndianHandDfromUKDined on 11/26/2013We have a favourite Indian restaurant in the UK and this more than matched it. The Lamb Bhuna was exceptional as were the Beetroot Koftas. The rack of lamb was tasty if a little dry. Wow - the mint and tomato dips for poppadoms were much more exciting than the what we get in the UK. We had a fabulous experience from start to finish with attentive yet unobtrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian mealRickVIPDined on 11/24/2013I really liked 1 Darbar. I love good Indian food, but I don't go for the really hot spicy stuff, and what I had here was perfect. The Chicken Korma was delicious, spiced perfectly, and very tender. The rice was perfect, and some of the best Naan bread I've ever had. Good drinks from the bar, too.Special Features:
- Had a decent time!TastaliciousDined on 11/22/2013Food - good, but as an indian, thought it could be spiced better - definitely Americanized. The service was good and fast. We were in a hurry and they were quick as they could be without cutting corners. The space was nice and table was in a good place. For the foos however, I have to note that it was pretty overpriced. A meat dish was $18, different from and higher than online prices btw. Average is usually 13/14 - so not sure why it was so high. Otherwise - I cant really complain. If you like great service with pretty decent indian food - you should go here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance at the Darbar!calihorn4VIPDined on 10/27/2013We were staying at the Marriott Eastside and decided to give the Darbar a shot because it was close to our location. It's not the best Indian food that we've had, but it was decent for the price. We had the butter chicken and the chicken tikka masala with mango lassi. All of them were pretty good. The ambience here is really fantastic, though. I would recommend if you're not especially picky or selective about your Indian food.Special Features:
- The flavors were wonderfulPJackDined on 10/24/2013The flavors were wonderful without a lot of hot spices. We enjoyed the specials of the restaurant, They were different and very tasty. The tandoori Lamb was great as well as the special appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...catsmeowVIPDined on 9/17/2013I gave my name when I walked in but was told I didn't have a reservation. Odd. I showed the hostess the reservation confirmation on my cell phone and she just shrugged. It was a good thing we had an early dinner and the place was almost empty, otherwise we may not have had a table. The attitude about this was rude.
- Quiet with Excellent ServiceNy262Dined on 9/9/2013Food was not up to par and the embiance could use some updating. Staff was exceptional. Always made sure we had what we needed.
- Great meal, great price!FoodieDined on 9/4/2013Nice quiet place in Midtown with wonderful food & great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place we ate at in New YorkSpoonAsKnife82VIPDined on 9/4/2013It was our last meal in NYC and wanted to try this Indian joint that was in the middle of a business district. We got about 30 minutes after they just closed out the buffet which we were not aiming for. We ended up being attended to by the owner/manager and he was very polite. We ordered Biryani and a Chicken Special and we were pleasantly surprised with the flavor and the serving. The server checked on us regularly and he even put food on our plates and made us feel like we are rich people for a moment. I am not as big of a fan with Indian food as much as my girlfriend but this restaurant was bar none very good. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in ManhattanSpecial Features: