9552 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.041bacaro.com/
- Phone: 3102044041x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 041 Bacaro
041 Bacaro, in the heart of Downtown Culver City, offers Northern Italian cuisine in a casual and unique setting. Service is bustling but never rushed, in the true style of the Venetian bacaro, a tradition with over 600 years of history. Proprietor and Chef Giovanni Zuanon, a native of Padova, Italy, began his culinary career in Venice's famous Harry's Bar, and brings the authentic dishes of his home to your table at 041 Bacaro. Meet friends or bring a date for a small bite and a glass of wine, Venetian style--sip some prosecco and try this...then one of those...and so on--or enjoy a multi-course meal. 041 Bacaro features a full menu of salads, appetizers, pizza, pasta and risotto, meat and fish. Most pastas preparations can be made with gluten-free pasta. A selections of wines, most from the Veneto region of Italy, are available by the glass or bottle. Perfect for before or after theater or cinema in Culver City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
041 Bacaro reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (8)romantic (7)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Nice find. Once you find it.SilkyPantsDined on 10/14/2014Needed a quiet-ish place for a weeknight dinner meeting. It was perfect. It didn't start really filling up around us until 8:30, but we still could speak without yelling. The food was really good. I had the squash ravioli. Best I've had. My friend had the Salmon with side of grilled brussel sprouts, which was awesome too. NOTE to GPS users: The owner told us (as we were waiting for your guest) that if you use gps to get there - it will bring you to the wrong restaurant toward Helms Bakery area. Weird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayTTTTVIPDined on 10/11/2014food was just okay, a bit on the salty side. There are definitely better Italian restaurants in downtown Culver City. Service was slow because there was only one waiter.
- Authentic Italian RestaurantWestSideEaterDined on 9/13/2014Service was incredible and I think it was the owner who waiter on our table...love it! Also, if you want some authentic Italian food, come here. They make their own pasta plus everything you order here will taste amazing. I recommend the meatball appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just okjunkgirlVIPDined on 8/21/2014First time dining there. Service was good, but good was ok. My risotto was good, but my friend's chicken Milanese was terrible. Might be back, but I'm not rushing to get there.
- DisappointingGot2EatDined on 8/1/2014We didn't need another Italian Restaurant in the thriving Culver City foodie haven, especially since it replaced the only BBQ joint. But if it's going to be in the scene, it needs be over the high bar set by the other outstanding restaurants. 041 Bacaro does not. The food was unimaginative and the prices matched the better restaurants. It might be just fine in other areas, but it felt like a farm team in the big leagues.
- nice local spotCCLocalDined on 7/30/2014I've come here a few times and enjoy the food. It is a good, local restaurant, so I can just wander downtown, be seated and enjoy a nice meal when I don't feel like cooking at home. It is relaxing, and you can set the pace of your dining experience. Friendly staff, relaxing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeat customermom528Dined on 7/22/2014We dined here again and the meal was very good. However, we made reservations on OpenTable and the restaurant had no record of our reservation. Fortunately, there were tables. We also asked for a DineLA menu (as we had seen this restaurant on the DineLA list ) and were told they weren't doing it ??? Again, I found the tables to be sticky. Despite these mishaps, the table service and our dinner were very good and we will return.Special Features:
- Good meals, but pass on the dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014Judging from the inconsistent reviews, there must be one good chef and one not-so-good chef. We had the good chef and our meals were tasty. (Lamb ragu and seafood pasta.) One thing that I think most people agree on is that the tiramisu is pretty bad. I can see why people think it was not made in-house. It did not have any alcohol flavor and the coffee flavor was watery. Don't bother to try the tiramisu.Special Features:
- A Most Unpleasant EveningANSH90210VIPDined on 7/19/2014We tried 041 Bacaro for DineLa since it was highly rated. Not enough space for great details, but the food was only surpassed in its awfulness by the service, given by the owner. Our water was never refilled unless we asked and then only for the person who asked. We had a bottle of wine which was never poured except on demand. The only deceit dish was one ordered off the menu, aglio & olio. The pizza was gummy, salty and inedible. When I said I didn't want to take it home, I got umbrage and an argument from the owner, who kept it on the bill. The kitchen delivered dishes in a spotty manner, people who came after us where served before us. The noise was deafening. A good thing? The gelato.....which was not made in house.
- Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was better than I expected. Along with the service, staff was friendly, personable, and knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:
- Probably not returningrennierenrenDined on 7/18/2014Maybe it was just our experience. Maybe it was because it was Dine LA week. But the food was underwhelming and definitely not worth the price that we paid for it. We did the Dine LA menu, which was two courses and a dessert. For both of us, the salad and dishes were bland. The desserts definitely tasted like freezer aisle tiramisu and Dryer's ice cream. The best part was definitely the service. Our waitress was attentive and had a great sense of humor.Special Features:
- FunOutoftowndinerDined on 7/17/2014Food was great with good variety. Staff a little forgetful. Very noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigNormDined on 7/17/2014Good food, very friendly and efficient service. A typical Westside Italian restaurant. Reasonably prices.Special Features:
- Skip itluv2dineDined on 7/16/2014The chopped salad and the caprese salad were great. Hard to screw those up. The butternut squash ravioli was delicious although there was way to much sauce. The carbonara was unbearably salty. I think the server was lying when we were told the tiramisu was "homemade". Blech. The restaurant was way too bright and way too loud - loud in a bad way. The water and menus took 10min to arrive after we were seated. The entrees took 25-30 minuted to arrive after our salads were cleared away. We asked what the holdup was…the server told us they were just really busy and that the kitchen was still getting used to the items on the prix fixe menu for LA Restaurant Week. Really?! It's pretty much the same menu as the regular dinner menu. Not 2nd chance.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious but there was only one waiter on staff so it took forever! They really need to schedule the right amount of people when hosting Dine LA.Special Features:
- Just deliciiousNancyDined on 6/28/2014The food was absolutely delicious. Had the butternut squash ravioli - yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buona cucinaDanteVIPDined on 6/25/20142nd time to Bacaro. Different waiters and also I believe different chef in the kitchen. Service was very good, attentive but not obtrusive. Orchiette was very good, pizza was middle of the road - not great but not bad. Crust could have been a little more charred. Was surprised not to find the place busier as the neighborhood was packed with Angelenos out for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 87 reviews are from the 041 Bacaro reviews archive.
- Gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014I'm not sure what changed in the past few months, but it seems like an entirely different restaurant. The pasta dish feels like it went from homemade to out-of-a-box. Wine list down to nothing. Just...disappointing. We used to go about once a month. I'm sad to say we won't be back.
- Great place for Italian dinnerladybruinDined on 6/6/2014The service was excellent and our risottos were perfectly cooked and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShLoWaDined on 5/31/2014Happy to have this restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't recommendProfessionalDinerDined on 5/30/2014Culver City has a lot of great dining options and this is not one of them. The entire experience was sub-par. The food lacked in taste and quality - the salmon was a small portion and had no taste at all, the clams in the linguine in clam sauce were covered in sand, and the pizza arrived to the table 15 minutes after the other entrees and was nothing special. The service was sub-par - the waiter tried to make jokes by insulting the guests at our table and had to be flagged down for everything - drinks, bread, a plate for the pizza, the check, etc. The only plus was that the restaurant was really quiet making it easy to have a conversation, but it should be noted that this was the case because the restaurant was empty.
- very disappointingdisappointed2Dined on 5/24/2014This was our 3rd visit to 041. We were excited as the last time we had a lovely dinner, free corkage, great service, and free desert. Well-strike all of those. We brought a bottle of wine and the host looked surprised and said they had corkage. We were seated near the front of the restaurant which was fine but as the night went on, the door kept being left open and a cold wind made it uncomfortable. Instead of moving us, they just kept closing the door. We wanted to order calamari but were advised that they were small and tough - so we ordered another apt and 2 dinners. My carbenara was extremely salty and my husband's seafood pasta had the tough calamari in it! Sad to say that a place we really liked has turned….and we will NOT be back!
- Great food!RayTDined on 5/22/2014Pasta was amazing, very fresh. Took a long time to get my bill at the end, seem a little understaffed. But would return for the food.Special Features:
- New FanWhats4dinnerDined on 5/17/2014Great food and wonderful service. This was our first evening dining here and won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfullTwidieDined on 4/26/2014food is not good, blend, service is a joke, few wine choices with spotty wine glasses, don't waste your money
- A great surprisePhoodieVIPDined on 4/25/2014Decided to try this place with a friend and was pleasantly surprised. First, the ambience is a neat urban Victorian mix, romantic but not stuffy. Everything from the charcuterie to the wine to olive oil on the table met or exceeded expectations. Dishes were reasonably priced. The staff, who were mostly Italian, exuded the hospitality one would expect from sitting as a guest at a table in the heart of Italy. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't really comment on the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2014We arrived for our reservation on time and we could sit wherever we wanted because the place was more than half empty. We then waited for 25 minutes and only managed to get water and menus which seemed like an inconvenience to the only server in the place. The clincher was when 4 people walked in and the waiter took their order as they sat down! So we left, walked across the street to fords filling station where the only waiter there provided great service and the food was delicious!
- Must have been an off nightBoondockEllisDined on 4/13/2014The place was understaffed, so perhaps not entirely their fault. But our meal was a disaster. Spotty service; no one seemed to know what was going on. There was a bigger party eating near us... they got vastly more attention than we did. Only 2 of the 5 dishes we ordered were prepared with any skill or care. We had a vegetarian among us; there were virtually no vegetarian options. After our server all but talked us into getting a dish of pasta with white asparagus, it arrived with no white asparagus, but broccoli instead. They could make a pizza (poorly) with broccoli rabe, but claimed to be unable to put said broccoli rabe into any other dish. Bizarre. We won't be back.
- Fantastic as always!LadyRoseDined on 4/13/2014041 Bacaro is a true gem. The chef, Luna, is always incredibly welcoming, and her food can't be beat. The risotto is to die for, and the pizza and pasta is always fantastic. And the desserts! Wow! The chocolate hazelnut bombolini (not sure if I got that name right) is one of the best desserts I've ever had. Even just a scoop of vanilla gelato is something special there. I'll definitely be going back and would highly recommend Bacaro to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was ClosedLilNinjaDined on 4/10/2014I made an Open Table reservation, and then when I went to the restaurant it was closed. I didn't get to actually see or eat anything so I made all my judgements above in the middle. I still would like to try them, but it was unfortunate that Open Table would allow me to make a reservation to a restaurant that was closed for the evening.
- Not that greatFood4thoughtDined on 3/12/2014Wanted to enjoy this meal, but the food was disappointing. While the duck pappardelle description interested me, in execution, it fell flat. Not flavorful enough. The salad - same as well. Even the tiramisu was not as expected, so overall, I don't plan to go back.
- great food and fun vibedisappointed2Dined on 3/1/2014We recently dined at 041 Bacaro. We had some out of town friends visiting, and wanted to find a spot in Culver City that had good food and a fun vibe. We called to make a reservation and were pleasantly surprised that they allowed you to bring your own wine, without corkage fee - WOW - so that was really a bonus. We had an 8 pm reservation and glad we did, as it was almost full when we arrived. We got seated immediately and relaxed to wait for our friends. We ordered the antipasto to share and all had something yummy to eat. We enjoyed the wine we brought and had a lovely dinner. The restaurant did not rush out off and in fact, sent out some complementary desert at the end of the meal. Totally would go back and would recommend it!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceKennyDined on 2/24/2014This place is never very busy for lunch but I always get the best food and service. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Venetian CuisinePaulaDined on 2/21/2014If you desire zesty Italian sauces with lots of tomatoes, this is not the dining spot for you. But if you have visited Venice, Italy, and enjoyed the lighter, milder cuisine, then you will love this place and its menu. Our entrees were delicious and well-seasoned. Raviolis listed on the menu flavored with sage were served with real sage leaves...a great addition. The homemade bread is outstanding and thankfully, served with olive oil instead of butter. The servers were very knowledgeable about each dish and were very friendly and attentive. We really enjoyed our dinner and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Decent food. Poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2014It's a pity that the lackluster service outweighs the food. Standing alone the food is pretty decent. But when you don't get water for 20 mins and you don't even meet your server/waiter/waitress and the hostess turns into the person you order from, there's a serious problem. By the end of the evening, we still don't know who our primary server was. Be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait.
- The restaurant was buzzingVeroStradaVIPDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant was buzzing with activity for Valentines Day. There were probably too few servers for the occassion as all wait staff was constantly running. There was also a long delay betweem courses. We had the lobster bisque which was heavenly, then we had some risotto with rose water, it was good but the whole peppercorns were not necessary. My bf had the duck leg and it was perfect. Then the salmon with rasberry sauce course came along and the salmon skin was so crispy and delicious. The dessert was over done and somewhat dry but again, I think it was bc of the holiday. Overall great food, will give them another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Valentne's Day EVER!WendyVIPDined on 2/14/2014My bf and I took my parents to this place for Valentine's Day. They were visiting and that date is also their wedding anniversary. I really wanted it to be special, so I trusted some reviews I'd read of this dreadful, awful, terrible place. Although we had a reservation and were on time, we had to wait +15 minutes. We were seated at a picnic table like thing with benches, which were so low my chin was almost on the table! (and I'm tall!) Took +20 minutes to place our order, another 30 to get first course. And it was INEDIBLE! Saw many others take one bite and not a 2nd. Rest of the meal was badly prepared. They forgot the wine for the pairings. Dessert was stale and dry. I can't say enough bad things about this place. AWFUL!
- great food, good serviceCulverCityGirlDined on 2/12/2014I read the reviews before I went, and I'm glad to be able to say those who praised the food were right--it was excellent. The service was good overall, except for our dessert--the chef forgot it. She came to our table to apologize and comped it. I'd definitely go back--the pappardelle with duck ragout was amazing, and the rest of the food was excellent too.Special Features:
- Not a happy birthdayMrCGDined on 2/1/2014My family took me here for my birthday, first we were sat a a table by the kichen door, 6" from the next table. The table was wobbly and my wife had to sit sideways because the art piece on the wall protruded about 6" from the wall and the table was tight to the wall. My daughter ordered a PLAIN bowl of spagetti with olive oil, which we were charged $18 (the most expensive of the 3 entrees we ordered) I ordered a chicken dish that was so dry I asked for a bowl of marinera (which never came). My wife ordered ravioli, which she enjoyed (hence the two stars). however the fork she was given had bent tines and reminded her of flatware in a college cafeteria. We actually went to another restaurant across the street for dessert. I have more, but..
- disastrous serviceJimEaterDined on 1/26/2014Our waiter seemed to be much better at bussing tables than at doing his job. He brought my wife a cup of hot water and no tea bag. The water got cold (since it wasn't in the pot where it belonged), so we had to ask someone else for new water. This time she got a tea bag. After more than an hour, people who had come into the restaurant after we did were being served. So I asked a different waiter. The food then came very quickly and was quite tasty, except my wife's risotto, which was bland beyond belief. Her vegetables were overcooked. (And she was the birthday girl, which they'd forgotten!) The good news was that the restaurant paid for the meal, in compensation for the disastrous service. The original waiter never apologized or anything.